BMW K1600 Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Those slots are supposed to line up so you can basically put a straight edge through them when the #1 cylinder is at TDC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Mr.Fix It
7,065 Posts
@Jwmead72 , "sounds" like the cam(s) chain tensioner failed and the cam jumped time. You got lucky there wasn't catastrophic engine damage.

Duane

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
We still don't know how/what caused it to jump cam timing and what's been done to prevent a repeat.
I asked the service technician about that, when I picked up the bike, and he said they did not experienced something like this before.

Also the chain tensioner was ok, by his words.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Yes, I immediately realized that.

When I am thiking about it, it all began after pretty quick ride with pillion and packed for a 3 day trip.
During the ride the motorcycle lost power to about half or third, and above cca 4,500 rpm it just did not run at all.
I was lucky that I made it to home cca 100 miles.
I asked the service technician about that, when I picked up the bike, and he said they did not experienced something like this before.

Also the chain tensioner was ok, by his words.
My speculation with the limited information available - if the camshaft jumped timing by the amount reported the engine would have stopped running abruptly, not just lose power, then you tore into the engine, which at the start of the thread most believed you were doing a routine maintenance activity based on the information you provided, and in the process you upset the timing.

·
International Man of Mystery
3,279 Posts
There is no way that the chain can jump on a sprocket without the tensioner, the chain guide or the chain itself being the cause of it. You are running a time bomb with the detonator ticking silently. If it were my bike I would change the three items in a New York minute.
But all things considered the whole story doesn't add up

·
Registered
247 Posts
I looked if there is more similar issues reported by users, and found some. Mine could be the same.

Is anyone aware if BMW informed dealerships about this problem by some service bulletin?

Ouch! Timing chain skip

Can chain tensioner failure?

Timing chain problem

Engine Skipped Time, locked up
I would be following the advice below to mitigate the risk as best I can.

Confirm the warranty on the work that BMW just completed.

There is no way that the chain can jump on a sprocket without the tensioner, the chain guide or the chain itself being the cause of it. You are running a time bomb with the detonator ticking silently. If it were my bike I would change the three items in a New York minute.
But all things considered the whole story doesn't add up

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I would be following the advice below to mitigate the risk as best I can.

Confirm the warranty on the work that BMW just completed.
I will confirm it with them, but since they only reinstalled the camshafts in proper orientation, and did not changed the tensioner or guides or anything else, I think the best I can do is to change all these things.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts