BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
I have a 2012 GTL that had 12K miles when I bought it in 2015. It has almost 50K miles now and I've loved every one of them. The only issue I've had is when I've let the radiator get clogged with bug and road debris and the bike temps go up into the red zone. Keep the radiator cleaned out and your miles should be trouble free. The only thing I'd want different is the keyless ride. Best of luck.

·
Upside Down
1,191 Posts
is the 2012 gtl a good bike? or is it getting to old? are there any issue to be concern with?
Fred, that is a good question but in reality, if the bike has been service regularly it should be ok, I had a load 2012 GTL for 6 months while waiting for my current GTL to be released and have the recall on the gearbox done. I loved the bike but that bike was not maintained and had a few issues with the electrics mostly because of the owner not caring for the bike. I think if you can find one that has been loved and cared for you should not have any real problems. Only other advice would be to do some research on issues with that year model and that will give you a better idea also.

·
Registered
334 Posts
tell me if I'm wrong, but the impression I've gotten from this forum is the earlier models are the bomb for performance. I've owned my 12 model for almost a year now, and I think it's the cat's meow. Haven't put as many miles on it as I'd like, but it seems like it only knows two throttle positions- fully closed and WOT. These bikes are bat-sh!t crazy fast! :love:

It does have an issue with either the rear shock and/or pre-load, which I will be having checked out at the dealership. Kinda sucks because the bike has only around 15K miles on it.

·
Mr.Fix It
6,890 Posts
Amazing, this forum if full of threads addressing failed piston issues with '12 models and 1 or '13 year models. Buyer beware.

Duane

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just picked up a 2012gtl with 68k km and it's running great. Did oil and rear drive oil change. Checked the magnetic plugs and no sign of metal filings. Good sign. Buy and enjoy the bike. I am very happy with my purchase.

·
Steve's Brother
6,248 Posts
I put 92,500 miles on my 2012 GTL with very minor issues. Ride it and have fun.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all the info. so if i like a new factory accessory that comes out on the new 2021 per say. we should be able to apply it to the 2012.

·
Mr.Fix It
6,890 Posts
@fredfryer , you're dreaming'.. Don't count on anything new fitting a '12 unless you're referring to a light bulb or tire...

Duane

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
I had a 12 GTL in 2012, gave it to my wife when my son bought me 2018 for my birthday. (What a guy!). we ride together and i still love riding the 12. Faster, stops quicker and never an issue other than water pumps. 47000 miles.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Amazing, this forum if full of threads addressing failed piston issues with '12 models and 1 or '13 year models. Buyer beware.

Duane
Threads regarding failed pistons, no matter how numerous, doesn't represent the majority of bikes just the guys experiencing those issues. Guys with complaints are posting their issues to seek advice or make others aware of potential issues while guys without issues are out riding and may know nothing about this forum so you don't hear from them.

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
There are numerous simular threads on the early 2011/2012 model that a search will pull up. Mine is as good today as it was new, except for the farkles added that make her more comfortable to ride. I'd be hard pressed to trade for a new one. If it wasn't so hot and humid around here I'd be on her right now instead of this thread. We do have a date for 0700 tomorrow... 44K on the clock..

·
Registered
48 Posts
44.5K on mine and no failed pistons. About to head for a five day trip to Pike’s Peak on Tuesday without any nagging feelings about it’s reliability.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I'd go for the '12 without thinking twice. No issues with mine. Not fond of the transmission clunking in traffic those early models had, but have learned to compensate for that a bit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i have a '12 GTL with 31,000 mi. had the front end squeak at 7500mi. had to replace fuel pump at 25,000 mi and have had to replace tires. But the bike is wonderful to ride. have thought about trading up but can't find a good reason to do so.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts