BMW K1600 Forum banner

2012 gtl?

3K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  Busted 
#1 ·
is the 2012 gtl a good bike? or is it getting to old? are there any issue to be concern with?

#3 ·
I have a 2012 GTL that had 12K miles when I bought it in 2015. It has almost 50K miles now and I've loved every one of them. The only issue I've had is when I've let the radiator get clogged with bug and road debris and the bike temps go up into the red zone. Keep the radiator cleaned out and your miles should be trouble free. The only thing I'd want different is the keyless ride. Best of luck.

#23 ·
I have a 2012 GTL that had 12K miles when I bought it in 2015. It has almost 50K miles now and I've loved every one of them. The only issue I've had is when I've let the radiator get clogged with bug and road debris and the bike temps go up into the red zone. Keep the radiator cleaned out and your miles should be trouble free. The only thing I'd want different is the keyless ride. Best of luck.
100% agree. 70k on mine

#5 · (Edited)
Fred, that is a good question but in reality, if the bike has been service regularly it should be ok, I had a load 2012 GTL for 6 months while waiting for my current GTL to be released and have the recall on the gearbox done. I loved the bike but that bike was not maintained and had a few issues with the electrics mostly because of the owner not caring for the bike. I think if you can find one that has been loved and cared for you should not have any real problems. Only other advice would be to do some research on issues with that year model and that will give you a better idea also.

#6 ·
tell me if I'm wrong, but the impression I've gotten from this forum is the earlier models are the bomb for performance. I've owned my 12 model for almost a year now, and I think it's the cat's meow. Haven't put as many miles on it as I'd like, but it seems like it only knows two throttle positions- fully closed and WOT. These bikes are bat-sh!t crazy fast! :love:

It does have an issue with either the rear shock and/or pre-load, which I will be having checked out at the dealership. Kinda sucks because the bike has only around 15K miles on it.

#7 ·
Amazing, this forum if full of threads addressing failed piston issues with '12 models and 1 or '13 year models. Buyer beware.

Duane

#14 ·
Amazing, this forum if full of threads addressing failed piston issues with '12 models and 1 or '13 year models. Buyer beware.

Duane
Threads regarding failed pistons, no matter how numerous, doesn't represent the majority of bikes just the guys experiencing those issues. Guys with complaints are posting their issues to seek advice or make others aware of potential issues while guys without issues are out riding and may know nothing about this forum so you don't hear from them.

#12 ·
@fredfryer , you're dreaming'.. Don't count on anything new fitting a '12 unless you're referring to a light bulb or tire...

Duane

Reactions: Geoff_3
#15 ·
Reactions: Geoff_3 and BMWGuy
#17 ·
There are numerous simular threads on the early 2011/2012 model that a search will pull up. Mine is as good today as it was new, except for the farkles added that make her more comfortable to ride. I'd be hard pressed to trade for a new one. If it wasn't so hot and humid around here I'd be on her right now instead of this thread. We do have a date for 0700 tomorrow... 44K on the clock..

#24 ·
Mine has just been for it's 70 000 service and it remains to be a total honey .
They seem to become smoother , slicker , more responsive and in general a jawdropping experience as the age , which is not something that one can normally say.
Not a foot wrong in 70 000 km's , not 1 glitch but you need to care for them and generate good karma by ensuring the oils stay fresh and all that needs to be kept clean is kept clean
These bikes will outlive all their owners
If I had to but another bikes I would buy another 12 .

#25 ·
You guys make feel good about my 2012. Sometimes I feel my 2012 and I are here all alone as I read about folks having a bunch of bikes, trading up about every year, or the K1600 being just one of their many toys. Nice to know there is 2012 support group!

A 2012 k1600 has been my main transportation since 2012. I ride it hard, put it up wet, have washed it maybe three times, and maintenance consists of changing the oil at 6K miles, and plugs twice in 90K miles on my current GT. Things have broke, but nothing that that left me stranded. My starter went out a few months ago but even then I could push start it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.