BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fist off, I used the search feature and after reading over 500 of over 1000 posts came to realize there was no solution (much off topic discussion) and most of the posts were many years ago. I'm reffering to the abrupt noise when using the throttle in low rpms in the first couple gears, not a shifting issue. I'm on my second used gtl in the last month, my first one was recently totaled. While there was some drivetrain backlash on the first one this one is way worse. I have both bikes in my possession now so doing. an a/b comparison is easy. It has nothing to do with riding or shifting style, same rider different bikes different results. Some talked about a software update, had warranty service, used different oil. returned the bike or just said live with it. Were any concrete solutions revealed? It there is a mechanical issue and an easy parts swap with my first bike that might be an option? My first bike only had 6000 miles on it and was recently serviced before I purchased it, this bike only has 3600 miles and other than new tires I don't think any services were done to it.

·
Mr.Fix It
7,222 Posts
You state the newer bike has more backlash play than the wrecked bike. I assume you know this because you put them both on the center stand, put the bike into gear, and measured the play in the wheel. And the new bike has significantly more play. It's time to visit your local mechanic.

WRT to what can you do about the inherent backlash? Nothing mechanically. What you can do is shift had a higher rpm and the "clunk" will all but go away; e.g. +3000 rpm.

Duane

Reactions: Direwlf and BMWGuy

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Fist off, I used the search feature and after reading over 500 of over 1000 posts came to realize there was no solution (much off topic discussion) and most of the posts were many years ago. I'm reffering to the abrupt noise when using the throttle in low rpms in the first couple gears, not a shifting issue. I'm on my second used gtl in the last month, my first one was recently totaled. While there was some drivetrain backlash on the first one this one is way worse. I have both bikes in my possession now so doing. an a/b comparison is easy. It has nothing to do with riding or shifting style, same rider different bikes different results. Some talked about a software update, had warranty service, used different oil. returned the bike or just said live with it. Were any concrete solutions revealed? It there is a mechanical issue and an easy parts swap with my first bike that might be an option? My first bike only had 6000 miles on it and was recently serviced before I purchased it, this bike only has 3600 miles and other than new tires I don't think any services were done to it.
Taking out variables such as manufacturing tolerances and bearing play etc, manufactures can cut precision gears, but I am sure that would not be cheap. I know higher precision gears are used in robotics etc and have near zero back lash. Thats just food for thought since you are not driving a robot :) Sometimes backlash can be controlled to some effect by shortening the distance between their centers. If that can be done and locked in place, it can in effect let the gears intermesh tighter. I would find a good mechanic at this point like Duane mentioned, or look to trade if that is a viable alternative to making you happier. Hourly rates and parts can add up rather quickly. U will know what's best for you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You state the newer bike has more backlash play than the wrecked bike. I assume you know this because you put them both on the center stand, put the bike into gear, and measured the play in the wheel. And the new bike has significantly more play. It's time to visit your local mechanic.

WRT to what can you do about the inherent backlash? Nothing mechanically. What you can do is shift had a higher rpm and the "clunk" will all but go away; e.g. +3000 rpm.

Duane
Thanks Duane, its was evident before measurement. However I did just measure the play and it's surprisingly about the same on both bikes, just under 2 inches of play in the first few gears. The new bike is really not even fully broken in yet and I think needs all new fluids. Hopefully after some miles and fluid changes it will feel more like the first one:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts