BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

Question:
Has Anyone ever had trouble Removing there Saddlebags on there Gtl/Gt?

I Need to Access the Rear Shock in order to Rebuild/Replace.

Tried Turning All 3 Keys that I have.
I have tried bout everthing short of a Hacksaw.

THANKS Much for Listening...

Tug

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
The key goes into the cylinder on the bag and when in one position allows the button to be pushed down and that pops up the tab that lifts and opens the bag "door". In the other position it wont allow the cylinder button to be depress and the bag is locked. The same key cylinder turns further or in the opposite direction and the handle pops up and lifts and releases the bag from the bike. I think this is the correct operation. Easier to just do it than describe it from memory.
Welcome to the forum by the way. I just noticed this is your first post.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The key goes into the cylinder on the bag and when in one position allows the button to be pushed down and that pops up the tab that lifts and opens the bag "door". In the other position it wont allow the cylinder button to be depress and the bag is locked. The same key cylinder turns further or in the opposite direction and the handle pops up and lifts and releases the bag from the bike. I think this is the correct operation. Easier to just do it than describe it from memory.
Welcome to the forum by the way. I just noticed this is your first post.
J Luv,
THANKS for Your response.

N Thanks for the Welcome!

Ya,
I used to be on here yrs ago when I Purchased the Bike but lost my Passwords n whatnot.

It's Certainly a FANTASTIC Site n Incrediblely Helpful.

Regarding Your Description n Not trying to sound ungrateful,
But That's how it's Always worked for yrs right up until bout a Month ago when she just froze up.
Bags Open ,Close, lock n unlock Perfectly.
Just will Not "Pop" there respective Handles when key is turned to correct position?

Even ran it bye the local Beemer shop in Peoria to no avail.

It's a Real Headshaker.

It wouldn't be a concern if we didn't have to Access the Rear Shock.

I Rarely Remove the Saddlebags in all the yrs I've owned it.
Thought that we could maybe Sneak said Shock out but because the Subframe Must be Lowered a tad we Can't get there from here unfortunately.

Gotta believe that maybe Someone has seen this before n Figured This is the Place to Go.

THANKS Again....

Tug

·
Registered
690 Posts
J Luv,

Ya,
I used to be on here yrs ago when I Purchased the Bike but lost my Passwords n whatnot.

But That's how it's Always worked for yrs right up until bout a Month ago when she just froze up.
Just will Not "Pop" there respective Handles when key is turned to correct position?

It's a Real Headshaker.

Thought that we could maybe Sneak said Shock out but because the Subframe Must be Lowered a tad we Can't get there from here unfortunately.

Gotta believe that maybe Someone has seen this before n Figured This is the Place to Go.

THANKS Again....

Tug
Hi Tug, Once you get the bags off I would be checking all the connection tabs etc to make sure they are in place and connected .sometime a contact looks to be correct and it has not fully connected. From what you describe it sounds like it has to be electrical related. Maybe a locksmith could also help. Cheers and I hope you manage to get it sorted.Last of all try the cheapest option and spray some WD40 into the locks as the key tumblers may not be falling into place also.

·
Premium Member
2,147 Posts
Give 'em a good hard shake and make sure they are correctly seated on the bike.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Tug, Once you get the bags off I would be checking all the connection tabs etc to make sure they are in place and connected .sometime a contact looks to be correct and it has not fully connected. From what you describe it sounds like it has to be electrical related. Maybe a locksmith could also help. Cheers and I hope you manage to get it sorted.Last of all try the cheapest option and spray some WD40 into the locks as the key tumblers may not be falling into place also.
THANKS Geoff

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I would start by checking the central locking cycles cleanly, on and off both sides. The physical attachemnt to the bike is via the handle operated release which allows the locking pins to move up and down. The inner aspects of my cases always suffer a lot of dirt build up and its feasible that the locks have become dirt laden and resisting the release. A good jet wash in those areas and plenty of light lubricant. silicone spray. try again after a while. I'm guessing it may be possible from inside the empty pannier the srcews can be removed to give access, but you need to be very happy that if you fully take it apart you might not remember how to reasemble

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would start by checking the central locking cycles cleanly, on and off both sides. The physical attachemnt to the bike is via the handle operated release which allows the locking pins to move up and down. The inner aspects of my cases always suffer a lot of dirt build up and its feasible that the locks have become dirt laden and resisting the release. A good jet wash in those areas and plenty of light lubricant. silicone spray. try again after a while. I'm guessing it may be possible from inside the empty pannier the srcews can be removed to give access, but you need to be very happy that if you fully take it apart you might not remember how to reasemble
THANKS Mole999

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Regular Electronic cycling Works Good.
Will Continue to Clean out both Locks to see if that helps.

THANKS Mole 999

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
When you turn the key to the bag release position does the handle pop up to about 45 degrees. If not I'd say the release pivot toward the front of the bike is corroded a bit because that's the one that is spring loaded to pop the handle up. I'd try holding the key in the release position and manually coaxing the handle to come up to that 45 degree angle from there just bring the handle up to vertical if the bag still doesn't release then both of the locking pivots have some corrosion and spraying with some rust buster and manually working the pivots with the handle in the vertical position should free them up. Good luck ..................

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When you turn the key to the bag release position does the handle pop up to about 45 degrees. If not I'd say the release pivot toward the front of the bike is corroded a bit because that's the one that is spring loaded to pop the handle up. I'd try holding the key in the release position and manually coaxing the handle to come up to that 45 degree angle from there just bring the handle up to vertical if the bag still doesn't release then both of the locking pivots have some corrosion and spraying with some rust buster and manually working the pivots with the handle in the vertical position should free them up. Good luck ..................
Got ya

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a similar issue with my K16GTL panniers but my problem was not dismounting the bags but mounting them. The only time I remove the panniers is when I wash the bike. Removing them was never a problem but I did have an issue where when I tried to mount the bags no matter what I did the handle would not push down to lock the bags in place. I'd have to fiddle with the handle until it finally locked down. After a while no amount of fiddling could get the handle to lock down so I took the bike to a BMW dealership where they couldn't figure out the issue either. I ended up having the pannier replaced under warranty since the locking mechanism can not be rebuilt. You may have the same problem I did but in reverse.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
the other thing is don't get frustrated with the removal, it would be too easy to start to abuse the cases. you could consider removing the back wheel for better access ( the mudguard is held on be four screws), and the wheel will them extract backwards easily, providing you don't knock it off the stand (tie the centrestand and front wheel together with straps)

·
Registered
78 Posts
J Luv,

Ya,

It's a Real Headshaker.

THANKS Again....

Tug
Did you look (?) the bags with the buttons on the key fob? I had the same experience afer placing sot suff in the side bags ans then went for a ride. Wallet was inside the R bag, was getting frustrated `cause I coud not get either side open.
Whet I did then was turn the key to the run/start position, and then pressing one of the buttons (cant' recall which one) on the fob, both side bags were accessible.
Hope this helps,
Gary

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok Folks,
Am just Reporting back n Apologize for the long Delay.

We Could Not Detatch the Saddlebags.

Buttt,
The Good News is that the Beemer (Go AZ) Shop in Peoria went Above n beyond to Remove the Blown Rear Shock.

This was Especially Difficult because of limited access.

Www.beemershop.com in Northern Cal also came thru with a Complete ESA Rebuild in less than 7 Days Turnaround including Shipping.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts