BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

For this 6'4" pilot, these value-priced adapters make a huge difference. Forward and down movement results in a huge difference in knee angle and height of knee relative to the ground. I couldn't believe how much quicker I was on the pegs moving from a stoplight. Best of all, no adjustment of either control lever were required.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
View attachment 150673 View attachment 150674

For this 6'4" pilot, these value-priced adapters make a huge difference. Forward and down movement results in a huge difference in knee angle and height of knee relative to the ground. I couldn't believe how much quicker I was on the pegs moving from a stoplight. Best of all, no adjustment of either control lever were required.
What pegs are they?

·
Mr.Fix It
7,824 Posts
@Victor 60 , FWIW, I installed a set of the peg lowering blocks when I first bought my GT. At 6'1" with bad knees I 'thought' these were the cats meow... Initial impression was great; much more comfortable. First time out riding was a different story; I was dragging pegs way too easy. I got home, removed them, and sold them here on the forum.

Duane

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are not pegs. They are adapter blocks sold on eBay.

I am not a person who drags pegs -- scared so to do. Mostly rides on sweeping turns at moderate speeds. A waste of a good 1600 cc 165 hp engine in a stellar chassis, I am sure.

·
Flying Dutchman
166 Posts

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I could not justify the price of Suburban Machinery components.

·
Registered
'13 K1600GT, '17 Bonneville T120
43 Posts

Victor60, I see lots of footrest lowering kits on eBay. Can you provide a link to the ones you bought?

·
Registered
32 Posts

Where did you buy them? Ebay from China, or another local US vendor?

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I am not sure if there are better designs out there, but these work for me. Visually they are a match for the Suburban Machinery items. I determined that trying these out at 25% or even less of the cost of parts by major BMW suppliers was a risk I could take. I've inquired of the seller for the aluminum alloy used, and will report if I receive that info. I think I would try to find a silver paint for these that matches the machine silver paint before installing them. Last night I took a short ride to a ham radio social group and the improved positioning brought a smile to my face.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Confused, above link on flea bay is listed as:

For BMW K1600GT GTL Bagger CNC Passenger Foot Peg Footrest Lowering Kit Adapter

so do these work for driver foot pegs as well?

·
Registered
43 Posts

I am not sure if there are better designs out there, but these work for me. Visually they are a match for the Suburban Machinery items. I determined that trying these out at 25% or even less of the cost of parts by major BMW suppliers was a risk I could take. I've inquired of the seller for the aluminum alloy used, and will report if I receive that info. I think I would try to find a silver paint for these that matches the machine silver paint before installing them. Last night I took a short ride to a ham radio social group and the improved positioning brought a smile to my face.
Hi Victor60, your eBay link is for "passenger" footrest lowering adaptors. Didn't you replace your front "rider" footrest lowering adaptors? If so, do you have a link to the eBay vendor for the front adaptors you bought? Thanks for any advice.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I copied the link that I found in my eBay purchase history. I found the images of the adapter to be clearly for the pilot, and I went with that picture info, thinking a Chinese native speaker may not have understood our driver vs passenger wording.

·
Registered
32 Posts

So you re-installed the standard pegs from the k1600 bike? Did it interfere with the operation of your side-stand in any way? I ordered from eBay.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
These are adapters. They augment the standard pegs. They move the standard pegs forward and down. The adapters are affixed to the machine using the BMW pin, spring, and plastic spring sleeve. The spring and its fitment into a small hole in the adapter give the pedal assembly the traditional swing to the rear should you ride aggressively (or normally if you are Gunnert or Duane or ...) The pedals are mounted to the adapters with new pins, washers, and cotter pins. Although mounted with pins, the pedals do NOT pivot with respect to the adapter. There is an allen set screw to control clearance between the pedal and the adapter. The entire adapter and original foot peg act as one assembly, with respect to the bike frame. There is a slight difference in relative position of the two control levers, obviously, since the pegs are moved and the levers are not moved. But, in my case, it was "so what?" I can still shift the gears, and for whatever reason I still haven't depressed the lever on the "passenger" or right side of the bike. What it does no one knows.

The side stand operation is completely unaffected. You still can swing it down.

·
Registered
43 Posts
So you re-installed the standard pegs from the k1600 bike? Did it interfere with the operation of your side-stand in any way? I ordered from eBay.
Hi Neewbee1600, I see you also just ordered these adaptors. Please let us know your thoughts and reviews after receiving and installing them. Thanks!

·
Mr.Fix It
7,824 Posts
@HunterSr , for everything you ever wanted to know about peg lowering go to the forum search and type in "lowering+pegs", execute search. You'll find many threads on the subject.

Duane

·
Registered
32 Posts
These are adapters. They augment the standard pegs. They move the standard pegs forward and down. The adapters are affixed to the machine using the BMW pin, spring, and plastic spring sleeve. The spring and its fitment into a small hole in the adapter give the pedal assembly the traditional swing to the rear should you ride aggressively (or normally if you are Gunnert or Duane or ...) The pedals are mounted to the adapters with new pins, washers, and cotter pins. Although mounted with pins, the pedals do NOT pivot with respect to the adapter. There is an allen set screw to control clearance between the pedal and the adapter. The entire adapter and original foot peg act as one assembly, with respect to the bike frame. There is a slight difference in relative position of the two control levers, obviously, since the pegs are moved and the levers are not moved. But, in my case, it was "so what?" I can still shift the gears, and for whatever reason I still haven't depressed the lever on the "passenger" or right side of the bike. What it does no one knows.

The side stand operation is completely unaffected. You still can swing it down.
Thank you. Awesome report.

·
Registered
43 Posts
@HunterSr , for everything you ever wanted to know about peg lowering go to the forum search and type in "lowering+pegs", execute search. You'll find many threads on the subject.

Duane
Thanks Duane.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts