BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Delima, I currently own a 2014 Honda Goldwing and when I purchased it, my thoughts were that this was the ultimate touring bike and no need to look at anything else. However, a couple of years ago a friend and I stopped at a BMW dealer and was just looking around and became interested in the GTL 1600's. Made the ultimate mistake of riding one. Whew! Goldwing ............... we got a problem. I'm impressed with the 160 hp, the electronics, 7 gallon tank, electric screen and the overall sitting position. I hate to make a decision on emotions but needed to find one to rent for a day or so but no one rents them in the Dallas,Texas area. The only question I have is the GTL 1600 as smooth a ride and the Goldwing? There is absolutely nothing wrong with my Wing but that GTL is a different animal. So, I'm soliciting your opinion on my problem. Thanks,
Geronimo

·
Registered
226 Posts
There are lots of k1600 vs Goldwing video comparisons online to look at. May answer some of your questions

·
Premium Member
6,530 Posts
The only question I have is the GTL 1600 as smooth a ride and the Goldwing?
The short answer is yes. The engine is just as vibration free as the GW and the suspension has multiple settings (selected by buttons on the handlebars) so finding one of them that meets your "smooth" criteria should be easy to find.

If you have a passenger most of the time you should really ride a K1600 with them on the back to see how it works out. There are a lot of differences between the GW and K1600. By the way there are 4 different models of the K1600 so researching them should be something you do also.

How long have you owned the GW? If it's been since 2014 it's time to move along anyway. :p

Reactions: easybee

·
Premium Member
2,084 Posts
EagleRider typically offers GTL day rentals. You might look at that.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Hey G., welcome to the forum. I'm also in Dallas, near Northpark Mall. I am an ST1300 convert (still have mine), and I'm glad I made the jump to the GTL. The ST isn't in the same league as the GW, but that Honda smoothness is something I know about from the ST. The only thing the Honda does better is wind protection and smooth shifting. My 2016 GTL's shifting is much better than the 2011 I test rode back when they first came out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I own both. I use the wing for 2 up trips when we cover big miles. The K1600 is for day trips. My passenger criticises the high pillion seat on the K1600, too much buffeting at speed. If you do regularly carry a passenger this may color your judgement. The K1600 also needs passenger footboards if the comfort of your passenger is important.
Both bikes are incredibly smooth. The lower weight (50Kg less) of the K1600 is also very welcome at low speed.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The only question I have is the GTL 1600 as smooth a ride and the Goldwing?
The short answer is yes. The engine is just as vibration free as the GW and the suspension has multiple settings (selected by buttons on the handlebars) so finding one of them that meets your "smooth" criteria should be easy to find.

If you have a passenger most of the time you should really ride a K1600 with them on the back to see how it works out. There are a lot of differences between the GW and K1600. By the way there are 4 different models of the K1600 so researching them should be something you do also.

How long have you owned the GW? If it's been since 2014 it's time to move along anyway. :p
Not sure I agree about the engine being as vibration free as a Wing. I have a 1990 GL1500 and a 2014 K1600GTLE, and the 1500 flat 6 is silky throughout the (admittedly limited) rev range. The K1600 buzzes a bit above 4000 RPM. Not bad at all, but definitely vibrates more than the GL1500.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I recently moved from a 2008 GW to a 2019 K1600BGA (the Grand America version). I was considering a 2018+ Goldwing, a 2016+ K1600GTL and a 2018+ K1600BGA. Note: the previous gen GW, current gen GA and all the K16s are GREAT BIKES. You cannot go wrong with any of them. So my thoughts...

K16 (any version)
Better performance engine - noticeable
Better handling - noticeable
Lighter weight - noticeable

GW 2018+
More comfortable (debatable)
Better dash/electronics (apple carplay, etc.)

GW 2001-2017
Stable as a tank - but can feel like one sometimes
Best wind protection for rider and passenger
Best passenger comfort

After test riding a K16, I was sold. An amazing bike. After a test ride with my wife, she felt the bike was much better planted on the road. The previous gen GW was not as secure in the turns (something it was known for and why many upgraded the suspension). We added armrests, floorboards and a larger windscreen to the Grand America.

Best of luck with your decision - definitely take the GTL and BGA out for a long test ride with you wife. The decision will be clear.

Reactions: easybee

·
Registered
447 Posts
I’ve owned both

the bmw is much faster, handles and brakes much better and I get better mpg on the k1600 and can go well over 250 miles on a tank.
The wing has better radio, much better wind protection and is much better for 2 people.

Ride quality is subjective but I found the k1600 to handle road imperfections better. Also found both to be reliable but...the k1600 can be ridden harder than the wing. I ride like it’s a sport bike and the wing’s transmission and engine didn’t like it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
There are many aftermarket windscreens discussed in the forum, aero wings as well. If you want comparable wind protection, there are options. Just something to consider.

·
Registered
447 Posts
There are many aftermarket windscreens discussed in the forum, aero wings as well. If you want comparable wind protection, there are options. Just something to consider.
it can be improved but again the wing is vastly superior in wind protection. The k is very good, the wind is excellent. I could ride the wing without earplugs (even at highways speeds) and even talk to a passenger without electronics.

obviously I’m a fan of the k1600 as I’ve had 2 and around 50k miles but the wing does have some advantages and wind protection is one of them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
This has been amazing feedback for potential owners. I am with Geronimo in my search for a GTL.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 34 Posts