BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
the bmw is much faster, handles and brakes much better and I get better mpg on the k1600 and can go well over 250 miles on a tank.
5k miles on a 2008 GW: 38 mpg
6k miles on a 2019 K16BGA: 40 mpg
(I may be pushing the K16 a bit harder than I did the GW) ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
We came off a 2005 Goldwing and rode the new Goldwing and a BGA at a dealer both back to back. Old wing and new wing are more stable in wind dirty or otherwise. Old wing was a little more comfortable for the passenger but the buffeting on her head was the reason for a change. And I have as much room on the BGA as the old or new wing even with a passenger. What I like about the BGA with passenger is she gets more into the ride instead of just reclining back there and being a parachute. lol. Ride one and you'll understand.

·
Registered
30 Posts
We came off a 2005 Goldwing and rode the new Goldwing and a BGA at a dealer both back to back. Old wing and new wing are more stable in wind dirty or otherwise. Old wing was a little more comfortable for the passenger but the buffeting on her head was the reason for a change. And I have as much room on the BGA as the old or new wing even with a passenger. What I like about the BGA with passenger is she gets more into the ride instead of just reclining back there and being a parachute. lol. Ride one and you'll understand.
Good point about the parachute. Never thought about it that way.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Delima, I currently own a 2014 Honda Goldwing and when I purchased it, my thoughts were that this was the ultimate touring bike and no need to look at anything else. However, a couple of years ago a friend and I stopped at a BMW dealer and was just looking around and became interested in the GTL 1600's. Made the ultimate mistake of riding one. Whew! Goldwing ............... we got a problem. I'm impressed with the 160 hp, the electronics, 7 gallon tank, electric screen and the overall sitting position. I hate to make a decision on emotions but needed to find one to rent for a day or so but no one rents them in the Dallas,Texas area. The only question I have is the GTL 1600 as smooth a ride and the Goldwing? There is absolutely nothing wrong with my Wing but that GTL is a different animal. So, I'm soliciting your opinion on my problem. Thanks,
Geronimo
The new Goldwing has a new suspension that is the smoothest in the business today. But, it does isolate the bike from the feedback of the road, which brings us as ti why you want a K1600. If your soul is a sport biker, you feel your bike, ride hard and fast, then the K1600 is the bike to do that, for a good long time, as in a tour. But, the Goldwing is the Cadillac of bikes, the K1600 the BMW of bikes, and Harley is the LazyBoy recliner of bikes, you will find happiness when you match your biker persona to the bike.

·
Registered
2018 K1600GTL
17 Posts
My only complaint with my GTL is wind buffeting but easily fixed with an aftermarket windshield and possibly Aero wings. I used to be a Honda rider and one reason I left was the lack of good dealers, my BMW dealer treats me like a king even though I didn't buy my bike from them.

Reactions: kotr

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
What aftermarket wind shield did you purchase for your GTL? Man, I love my 'Wing but all indicators are that we may have to get a divorce soon. The GTL is a different animal. Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 K1600GTL
17 Posts
What aftermarket wind shield did you purchase for your GTL? Man, I love my 'Wing but all indicators are that we may have to get a divorce soon. The GTL is a different animal. Thanks!
I bought a 7Jurock because of lots of good reviews on here.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm sure the 7Jurock is a great screen, as many on this site have indicated. Check out California Scientific as well. I went with them based on reviews on this site and others, as well as, the many options they offered in size. You can customize to your height and wind preferences.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts