BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Looks like it's worth a ride there some time!

I passed through Burnet last weekend, wish I had known about Payne’s. But I had good BBQ in Hico.

I'm sure I'll pass through Burnet again soon though.

·
Super Moderator
16,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Oh my, I just had a thought about properly warming brisket at home. A way to return the flavor to that just out of the pit.

Sous-vide

Yes, using water to slowly bring the meat temperature back to perfect without losing any moisture.

In a blind tase test, side by side smoked brisket, the experienced taste tester couldn't tell the difference between the fresh and warmed.

Oh yes, Texas flavor to sample. Why wait?

·
Registered
367 Posts
I remember going to Goode Company many years ago while visiting friends in Houston. Near The Village off Kirby if I remember correctly. Why do these places always seem so far away?
A popular spot around here was Clark's in Tioga. It burned down a couple of years ago (seems they all do) but was recently rebuilt. Believe I'll have to give it a try and report the findings.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Definitely worth the trip to Grand Junction! However, I must say part of the reason for going is to see Ms. Alice and Bella:wink:

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
And the Colorado scenery and a good smoke.

·
Registered
206 Posts
That made my mouth water.

At the risk of bragging, I feel compelled to add to this thread that while the best brisket is most definitely found among the barbecue joints of central Texas (Black’s being one of my favorites), some of the best I’ve had has also come from my backyard smoker! (And I don’t even live in the Lone Star State anymore!) Just sayin’. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Jeez...it's 22 degs F here and you have me now thinking it ain't too cold to smoke a brisket...diehards would probably say it will never get too cold!

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
And the Colorado scenery and a good smoke.
Tim, I missed the smokes......don’t know about Arizona, but the Texas LEOs frown heavily on us bring Colorado smokes back with us....>:)

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Oh my, I just had a thought about properly warming brisket at home. A way to return the flavor to that just out of the pit.

Sous-vide

Yes, using water to slowly bring the meat temperature back to perfect without losing any moisture.

In a blind tase test, side by side smoked brisket, the experienced taste tester couldn't tell the difference between the fresh and warmed.

Oh yes, Texas flavor to sample. Why wait?

With Spring upon us and temperatures warming, thoughts of brisket and ribs are running through my head. RL's idea of sous vide to re-warm brisket worked pretty well last Fall and will certainly use that method henceforth! BTW, the halibut and salmon I cooked this way over the Winter turned out absolutely perfect! :)

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Dang, opening up this thread makes me Hungry! Darb, how long until it’s done. If not soon, may have to go Austin way to Black’s, or Louie Muellers, or City Market, or Terry Black’s, or.............:yeah:

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Looks like it's worth a ride there some time!

I passed through Burnet last weekend, wish I had known about Payne’s. But I had good BBQ in Hico.

I'm sure I'll pass through Burnet again soon though.
Good BBQ in Hico? Thats either new news or fake news...

·
Premium Member
6,409 Posts
I like to slice it, bag it in freezer bags and just throw the bag into a pot of hot water. A little cheaper! :wink:
I do the same accept I use a food vacuum/vacuum freezer bags. I swear if anything it's better after being reheated. When I fire up the smoker I try to fill it, e.g. 4-6 chickens, 8 racks St Louis style ribs, etc. I use the freezer bags for chicken, pork, ribs, and brisket.

Duane

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I do the same accept I use a food vacuum/vacuum freezer bags. I swear if anything it's better after being reheated. When I fire up the smoker I try to fill it, e.g. 4-6 chickens, 8 racks St Louis style ribs, etc. I use the freezer bags for chicken, pork, ribs, and brisket.

Duane
That's how I warmed it in 2017, Duane. Late last year I began to cut the brisket into a few chunks, freeze it, and, to reheat it, use the water immersion method to evacuate the air from the freezer bags, set the sous vide to 140 degrees and let it go until it's up to 140...it won't get any hotter than 140 so time in the bath is a non-issue (though I wouldn't leave it for hours). What I haven't tried, but will, is hit it with a torch to try to get the bark back once it's up to temp. Ahhh...the smoking season is approaching!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts