BMW K1600 Forum banner

581 - 600 of 650 Posts

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
@AZK1600GTL Victor: I'm going to ride with Chris's group so don't look for me in the morning. Joe

Reactions: J-Luv

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Cliff note update: All is well and I had to get out of Wichita before I got to comfy with room service and nurses believing half my stories. (Just in case i went with Gary as when greeting others and used his number to hand out as contact info).
I am flying out early early today hopefully getting home Saturday evening. Prognosis is good for foot and have a case transfer appointment with a Virginia Ortho Monday.
Thanks for the thoughts and sounds like quite the riding the gang is having in CO.
Regards, J

·
Premium Member
3,091 Posts
Guys,
I was supposed to leave Fort Worth this morning, but due to a personal/family situation I will have to back out from this great trip and gathering.
I wish you all a great and safe time! Please post lots of pictures!
Thank you Darby for setting all this up. You rock!
Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lee - Sorry to hear you won't make it up here. Family first! Next year for sure!

Reactions: Damocles

·
Q
5,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #584
Cliff note update: All is well and I had to get out of Wichita before I got to comfy with room service and nurses believing half my stories. (Just in case i went with Gary as when greeting others and used his number to hand out as contact info).
I am flying out early early today hopefully getting home Saturday evening. Prognosis is good for foot and have a case transfer appointment with a Virginia Ortho Monday.
Thanks for the thoughts and sounds like quite the riding the gang is having in CO.
Regards, J
John,
Thanks for the update, take care.

Darb

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Made it to Moab. Temps in the 80s. Set up camp near Price last night 2.30 in the morning. They had a gully washer two nights ago, so the air quality was perfect. Smoke from Dillon to SLC though (great ride at midnight avoiding Mormon traffic).

·
KBiK
1,482 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks Darby, The BBQ was the best I have had! No wonder people come from all over north America for it! It was great meeting and riding with all you K16 people. Had a great time. I had a little pucker moment on my way home. I was approaching a rock wall canyon and the sign said tight curves ahead, 25 or 35 mph I do not recall which. So I selected sport mode, went to 3rd gear and dropped the hammer. Second curve in and there was a big deer crossing the road.I have no idea where he came from or went to since it was steep rock walls right on the roads edge. I went into full abs braking and hugged the center line since there was a car coming in the opposing lane! I was able to get her down to about 40mph as I passed the deer which was only half off the road. Less than two feet to spare:) Luckily no breakfast this morning so my riding pants stayed clean.

·
Q
5,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #590
I'd like to send out a big "Thank You" to all of those people who traveled to the BBQ this year. It's a bit humbling (and kinda stressful) when people come from so far away to attend an event like this. We love it though, we get to see old friends and make new ones every year. We also find it amazing that everyone that shows up seems to mesh right in with the people who've been here before. I think it's got something to do with really good people that share a common interest. You all are a kind and gracious bunch and being able to host this event was a pleasure.

Thanks again.
Darb

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'd like to send out a big "Thank You" to all of those people who traveled to the BBQ this year. It's a bit humbling (and kinda stressful) when people come from so far away to attend an event like this. We love it though, we get to see old friends and make new ones every year. We also find it amazing that everyone that shows up seems to mesh right in with the people who've been here before. I think it's got something to do with really good people that share a common interest. You all are a kind and gracious bunch and being able to host this event was a pleasure.

Thanks again.
Darb
Thanks again Darby, i had a great time everyone stays safe, such a great group of people

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Q
5,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #593
Nice Dog

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Thanks,
That's the Colorado Ride and BBQ Mascot, her name is Bella. She's is a sweetheart!

We got some heart breaking news about her earlier this month. She has lymphoma and unfortunatly this will be her last BBQ. We are heart broken, she has been such a gift to our family that it's hard to explain. She will be severely missed, not only by us but those that have come to know and love her.

·
Premium Member
3,091 Posts
Thanks,
That's the Colorado Ride and BBQ Mascot, her name is Bella. She's is a sweetheart!

We got some heart breaking news about her earlier this month. She has lymphoma and unfortunatly this will be her last BBQ. We are heart broken, she has been such a gift to our family that it's hard to explain. She will be severely missed, not only by us but those that have come to know and love her.
I am one of those that have come to know and lover her. She was in good spirits, her old self this week and waiting in the driveway every time I pull in. God bless her.

·
Premium Member
3,091 Posts
Traveling back to Texas (Rolands House) tomorrow with Reggie and Kevin, then to Ft. Worth on Tuesday. This forum has made my motorcycle life so much better. So many fantastic people. I look forward to this event every year and nobody could do it better, or be more welcoming, than Darby and Alice.

I'd like to reiterate one last important fact; TR (and his FJR) is a legendary historical figure of this event. His presence is the bedrock upon which a successful event is built. He also holds the speed record 3 consecutive years but is now in retirement for the high speed run. My guess would be that Duane in this years champ.

·
Texas Thorn
2,326 Posts
Darby,
It was a great weekend as usual. Sorry, I had to cut out early.

I don't know if you realize, but you had a fantastic representation of North America. I was wondering myself, so I took pictures of each different license plate and added the few I knew were not at the house at BBQ time.

We had 16 different U.S States represented and 3 Canadian States (or Provinces as they call them). Wow! And hey, I finally got to see a genuine Canuck!!! Much different than I expected. I had imagined them as all 6 feet tall and wearing fuzzy hats and snow shoes.

To All:
I had a great time! Thanks for coming! Darby, thanks for taking so much time and effort. However, I mostly want to thank Alice!! She is the only way this is possible, and we all know it.

For Bella; I will sorely miss you and your greeting each time I have been there. We who know you will miss you.

Roland

·
Registered
418 Posts
Thanks guys for posting the photos. Such a great group and I can only imagine what a great time was had by all since I was not able to make it. I am still presently homeless now in the Wilmington, NC area, waiting for a new home to be completed. My K1600GT is still in Vermont. The only ride I have been able to do so far this summer was from Vermont to the Des Moines rally. A few other life changing events have been going on, mostly all good, so I am hoping sometime mid October I will be able to retrieve the bike. I am heading down to Morelia, Mexico the beginning of October to attend a BMW rally down there with some old bandito associates. They will have a brand new GS 1200 Adventure for me to ride. Should be interesting. Darby, I hope you do the BBQ next year. It will be a closer ride for me coming from North Carolina.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks Darby(s) for hosting the event, and thanks to all those that made a newbie feel welcome. It was a lot of fun, I learned a few things along the way, (and stayed off the rocks). Look forward to seeing everyone again and the spirited rides.
The DARBY-Q ROCKS.
Jeff

·
Registered
561 Posts
Darby, that for putting this together. I think this is about as much fun as I have had in any organized rally I have attended. It was nice to meet some of the folks and put faces with the handles. But there was just not enough time to meet everyone.

By the way, nice shirt! It doesn't happen often but when my wife gets a load of this one, I may be out a shirt!

Thanks again.

581 - 600 of 650 Posts