BMW K1600 Forum banner

641 - 650 of 650 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
I want to thank Alice and Darby for the great time I had, because of your BBQ I had my first trip west of the Mississippi. The BBQ was excellent and the beans were even better. The scenery was fantastic, the rides were also great, Andy did a super job, Thanks to Arizona Jim and Steve for the day I road with them. And to everyone else I rode with, thanks for putting up with me. It is a great group of people. 12 days,6042 miles, I hope I can see everyone next year(except that trooper in Kansas).

·
Premium Member
3,091 Posts
I want to thank Alice and Darby for the great time I had, because of your BBQ I had my first trip west of the Mississippi. The BBQ was excellent and the beans were even better. The scenery was fantastic, the rides were also great, Andy did a super job, Thanks to Arizona Jim and Steve for the day I road with them. And to everyone else I rode with, thanks for putting up with me. It is a great group of people. 12 days,6042 miles, I hope I can see everyone next year(except that trooper in Kansas).
Welcome to the Dar-B-Q performance award club. The Chairman of our small organization is Mr. Roland Smith.

·
Mr.Fix It
7,085 Posts
I hope I can see everyone next year(except that trooper in Kansas).
The Uniden R1 saved me more than once going through Kansas and Colorado and Texas and Oklahoma and Missouri and Kentucky... It's on e of the "tools" I never leave home without.

Duane

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
(except that trooper in Kansas).
Keith, it was nice to meet ya and I'm glad you enjoyed the weekend. I sure did as well. I stayed in Denver Sunday night after riding to Moab and back Sunday morning. (I'm still looking for my $6 toll in the mail for that I-70 express lane from the tunnel to Denver.) Monday from Denver to KC was hot and windy. I usually ride the limit +9 and never worry too much about troopers. But it was hot and I was ready to get off the road. Well...somewhere between Hays and Manhattan a young trooper noticed I was going the limit +14. For whatever reason, he sent me on my way with a written warning and stern instructions to slow it down. He must have believed me when I told him I was hot and just trying to get home. I wish you were as lucky. Perhaps I'll see you next year!

·
Texas Thorn
2,326 Posts
Welcome to the Dar-B-Q performance award club. The Chairman of our small organization is Mr. Roland Smith.

I guess time wounds all heels. I just don't recall it that way. You know, the way I recall it was: I was way out in Colorado, far from home, riding with a hooligan but trying to keep up so I did not become lost. My leader, with absolutely no respect for the law, led us into a scenic curvy stretch and seems we were about ** over. A local there with a radar, just wanted to swap gun stories. He was merciful, issued us twin performance awards, and graciously allowed us to continue without a night in the local jail. President? Moi? I should think not.:wink:

Roland
A good Texan and law abiding 'Merican.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
We had so much fun last year we just have to do it again!

The official 3rd annual Colorado Ride & BBQ is planned for Saturday August 25th.

I believe we will follow same format as last year. Meaning I'm pretty sure those Regulators from Texas will ride in on Thursday afternoon. We will do a day ride on Friday making the loop down to Moab and pick any Arizona stragglers heading up this way. If he would like to... I'm going to let Charlie Fogg sponsor the Saturday morning ride over the Grand Mesa again (I most likely won't have to twist his arm to do that!) while I tend to BBQ and chef duties at the house.

My home is open to all on Saturday morning. If you don't want to go on the morning ride just come on out and relax.

Sundays ride is going to be discussed Saturday over brisket and whatever else I decide to throw in the smoker!

FYI last years ride was the San Juan Scenic Byway. Thats the Million Dollar Highway for those not in the know. Its a long ride for those traveling great distances to and from the BBQ so this year it could be a run down to Silverton for lunch at the Handlebars and return for refreshments and cigars on the patio. It could also be Black Canyon/McClure pass to Glenwood Springs if they get the new overpass finished and open by then.

For you new guys to the forum who haven't read or heard about this yet. I started this a couple years back and had 11 people show up for the first BBQ and we had a great time! I did it again last August and had 24 people here from all over the country. It was a weekend of great camaraderie, meeting new friends and catching up with old ones. Don't at all feel hesitant to join us, its a great time with good people and lots of really nice riding!

This invite is for members of this forum only (yes your wives, family, friend etc.. are always welcome) please do not share it on other social media outlets, websites, Forums, FB etc..

I am busy this week finishing a job but next week I will make it back down to the BW in Clifton and chat with them again on a group rate for hotel rooms.

I am already working on this years T-Shirt design, It might be more K-bike orientated this year.

Mark the calendars.

Best Western Grande River Inn and Suites in Clifton

I have 15 rooms set aside this year at the same price as last year, $104.00 a night plus taxes and other fees. I thought that was pretty fair considering the time of year, August is still tourist season here.

To reserve your room Call 970-434-3400 between 7am and 3PM weekdays and speak with Elissa or Sandy. Tell them you need to book a room for Darby's BBQ and Ride. The rooms are set aside for Thursday night 8/23 thru Sunday night 8/26

These prices are good until 7/25 when the group rate reverts back to regular nightly rates so the key is to book before then. If we happen to take all 15 rooms they will set aside more. I doubt that will happen but its nice to know were covered.

Is there going to be another BBQ. I had a blast in. 2018?

Thanks,

Victor

·
Q
5,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #649
Is there going to be another BBQ. I had a blast in. 2018?

Thanks,

Victor
Victor.
I'm glad you enjoyed the BBQ, We had a great time as well... However I've had a few concerns moving forward with this event. One, is the attendance. It was great having everyone here but I feel it was too many and it caused a fair amount of stress on my part. I also feel as if I didn't get much of a chance to meet and talk with some of those who attended because my time was so spread out. I knew going into it 3 years ago that it would be work and I don't mind work but I don't want it to turn into something that completely consumes me and that's kinda what happened last year.

This years BBQ is still going to happen but there's major changes in store. This year is an invite only affair, I'm going to significantly roll back the attendance numbers for the reasons listed above. There will be no designated rides, everyone gets maps and can group up with each other and go where they please.

Now I know there will be some upset about this being "invite only" but that's the way I've chosen to handle it this year. Next year I may very well handle it differently.

Thanks for asking
Darb

641 - 650 of 650 Posts