gearbox gave up at 730 miles
that was the start of a 2 year wow
then it had new gearbox and then this year the recall and new gear casing
plus engine casing
and that was just some of the problems the list is many
bmw to date has spent £11.000.00 so far
then in july the 2d trip to south of france broke down again on the way home
stode at the side of the road and cried
the reason for this post is the dealers response of why i do not want this bike any more
and in all my years 40 plus as a engineer unbelievable note got the bike from brighton uk

this is what he asked me
when you brought the bike did you tel the sales man in writing what you wanted to uses the bike for
i wonder is anyone else are having problems with the later 1600
the one i had since 2011 have all done well
thanks to you all in this difictall times
steve

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
The regional rep has a lot of clout should he choose to use it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had only owned Hondas, then I saw the K1200LT and fell in love on the spot. Owned her for 5 years. The last 2-3 she was injury prone so I sold her. I just bought a 2016 GTL. I love the handling and style of BMW sport tourer! Now if I can just get some reasonably trouble free years out of her.......

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you for your comments i have had bmw for the past 15 years from rt to k1200lt
and up till this bike fair few problems my last bike before this one was a 2016 gt
but when this upgrade came out its has not worked as well for some reason

·
Registered
459 Posts
when you brought the bike did you tel the sales man in writing what you wanted to uses the bike for
Sounds like the dealer is under the misapprehension that your use pattern for the bike is somehow unusual and that by not asking a specific question as to it's suitability for your intended use, they can squeak out of their responsibility to supply goods of acceptable quality.

I suggest you write to the dealer, listing the sequence of defects, repair attempts and breakdowns, plus any and all out-of-pocket costs incurred, formally rejecting the bike and demanding a full refund. Copy in BMW UK.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i bought 3 k1600 from this dealer
this bike is a direct replacement 4 days before i was to go touring the 1st bike had a problem with the gearbox at 3 miles went straight back and replaced that was in a 2 week period
and the dealer is aware of why i have a touring bike
i a marine engineer so have limited time to ride
when you got your bike had it had the gearbox mod ?

·
Registered
459 Posts
when you got your bike had it had the gearbox mod ?
No, I bought it new in April 2019 and did around 5k miles on it before it had the gearbox recall work carried out in February this year. Due to the Covid-19 restrictions I’ve only managed to put about 200 miles on it since, but there's been no hint of any issues with it so far.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well today was yet a eye opener
as i am sick to death of battling day after day with bmw
i have only managed to get bmw to agree to a extra 2 year warranty on the bike
so i have come to a decision after 15 years with the brand to get the bike back the sale it with the transferable warranty and go back to honda
it might be a bit boring but i can not put up with constant trips to the dealer and worrying if it will break down on a tour again life's to short
P1050378.JPG

·
Soupa Mod
2,421 Posts
I am sorry to hear of these difficulties Steve.

I am always amazed at how companies and their bureaucrats manage to shoot themselves in the foot.

Best wishes for your motorcycling future.

·
Registered
297 Posts
It's a tough one, for all the good bikes out there you will always get a couple of lemons, and if the dealers don't look after you it's easy to get put off the brand completely, so I get it and wish you all the best.

·
Registered
10 Posts
hi to all as a long time k1600 owner i had 6 to date
i brought new a revised k16gt in july 2018 to tour france and italy
got to lyon had 1st service done at 699 miles after leaving dealer
gearbox gave up at 730 miles
that was the start of a 2 year wow
then it had new gearbox and then this year the recall and new gear casing
plus engine casing
and that was just some of the problems the list is many
bmw to date has spent £11.000.00 so far
then in july the 2d trip to south of france broke down again on the way home
stode at the side of the road and cried
the reason for this post is the dealers response of why i do not want this bike any more
and in all my years 40 plus as a engineer unbelievable note got the bike from brighton uk

this is what he asked me
i wonder is anyone else are having problems with the later 1600
the one i had since 2011 have all done well
thanks to you all in this difictall times
steve
Well I have similar issue with 2018. Swap my beloved no issue Yamaha xv1900 for this crap and stick with 5 years PCP plan now.
First after do trip around Europe ( just only to Italy this time) when engine give up and start leak oil. Next trip in Germany bike got fault on right hand grip and I wasn’t able accelerate.
Next trip to Spain and bike lost power and work only on 4 cylinders as 2 coils decide to stop work.
Apart of that I have 5th garming gps as other fail, few times replace suspension as easing and lowering fail, few abs faults, few quick shift faults, and looks like now after transmission recall it will be replaced for new one. I have issue with new Michelin road 5 GT tyre which rubbing bike shaft casing.
If I only know that all my holidays will get this unpleasant situations I will stay with my trusty Yamaha and not have 5 years PCP plan!
I cannot say anything wrong about my dealer as they really take care of me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
well today was yet a eye opener
as i am sick to death of battling day after day with bmw
i have only managed to get bmw to agree to a extra 2 year warranty on the bike
so i have come to a decision after 15 years with the brand to get the bike back the sale it with the transferable warranty and go back to honda
it might be a bit boring but i can not put up with constant trips to the dealer and worrying if it will break down on a tour again life's to short View attachment 144490
Will you share how you manage to get additional 2 years of warranty on your bike. I am stuck with them for another 3 years of PCP plan and had similar issue with they product as you had

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
Life is just too short. Sometimes it best to cut your losses and just move forward.

Still would consider sending a letter to the "MotherShip".

Best,

Doc:cry::cry:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the 1st point is what you have the bike for touring when you get time 2 and point is in the name k1600(GT)
i got onto customers service and got a ref number and the sent them a email telling them why i have this type of bike TOURING and that i have no faith in the bike not to break down ?you would think that would be enough but no not bmw
your bike seams a mirror to mine
the only thing in your favor is the pcb
mine i bought outright so no finances even if just £100 would of been better for me
the keyword is not fit for purpose
i then argued why should i pay for a bike that may never complete a tour
do you have any videos when the bike went wrong it's always a good lever
at some time this week i have to go pick up the bike
i will keep posting
note my mistake was from the start i should of rejected the bike within the 1st 6mts
talk soon

1 - 16 of 16 Posts