BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This problem existed before I had the transmission recall done, and now it's happened once since. So far it has only happened after the bike has been sitting, without being started, for two weeks or longer and the temperatures are cold. Today it's 36*F here, and likely several degrees warmer than that in my garage. I went out to video the problem with HSC and the Bren Tune, but instead I captured the starter failing to engage the engine on the first attempt. The second attempt spun and started the engine like normal. Has anyone else experienced this? It's very intermittent. I've emailed a link to the video to my dealer service department. Less than 4K miles on the bike.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Had that happen to me on a trip for 2 days on my 2014GTL. I had problems starting it. I had to feather the starter before it would catch. It was the starter clutch sticking. after a few tries I road it 100 miles to BMW Omaha and waited for the tech. I left the motor running because I was afraid it wouldn't start. Wouldn't you know they could not recreate the problem I road it home and had to get an oil change at my local dealer due to miles. They didn't a problem either. It never did it again after the oil change. Yours sounded easier to start than mine did.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Feather the starter?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Search for starter sprag clutch

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Search for starter sprag clutch
Yep that would be the problem mine did the same thing when cold as well 2018 B, but I had them change it out under warranty never had a problem since.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Hey there, hope you and yours are well.

I had similar problems on my 2018 GT LE that developed from 20,000kms onwards to date at 30K. Very occasionally the starter would not engage. I could hear it operating no engagement. Luckily on the 2nd or 3rd try it would engage. Didn't fancy bump starting her :)Its a long story but due to high oil consumption BMW HQ have ordered that the Engine and Gearbox be replaced. That was completed the day all businesses here in Austria closed indefinately due to Covid-19.......

The whole of Europe is in lockdown and only essential journeys are permitted.....very sensible in the circumstances. I imagine the riding season here will be short or none existent this year. Ces't la vie, better safe than sorry.

Stay safe all.

Regards,

Tony

·
Registered
254 Posts
Happened to me a couple of times awhile ago I think I found that if you move the bike a little in gear an then try again it seemed to catch. I had tried kickstand up and down and In out of gear then pushed bike back in garage and stopped in gear seemed to do it. Tried again when it happened and it worked mabe coincidentally that was last summer hope this helps GTW.

·
Registered
257 Posts
From my opinion, this is because the bike is sitting down for more than 2 weeks and battery is low. First start it doesnt spin as fast enough to engage, and on the second attempt as you have already powered the starter, it spins faster and engages.
I have detected that this bike while sitted disharges the battery a lot and if you do not recharge, this happens. Maybe keyless option?
Not mechanical problem, its low battery problem. The spining clutch has a lot of teeth to engage, very rare that some of them dont engage.
Try leaving bike for long period and before have a charger to fill your battery.
Enjoy and post feedback!

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From my opinion, this is because the bike is sitting down for more than 2 weeks and battery is low. First start it doesnt spin as fast enough to engage, and on the second attempt as you have already powered the starter, it spins faster and engages.
I have detected that this bike while sitted disharges the battery a lot and if you do not recharge, this happens. Maybe keyless option?
Not mechanical problem, its low battery problem. The spining clutch has a lot of teeth to engage, very rare that some of them dont engage.
Try leaving bike for long period and before have a charger to fill your battery.
Enjoy and post feedback!
It's not due to a low battery. My bike remains on a battery charger while it's in my garage. Watch the video again and listen to how fast the starter cranks the engine once it does engage.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dealer called back today. They could not get it to malfunction. However, based on the video I sent them and the responses I got to this thread, they believe they can get the starter drive replaced under warranty. They are going to speak with BMW and order the parts on Monday. Hopefully they can find parts in the USA instead of waiting for import from Germany. Should be a week or so depending on part availability.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I called the dealer today and they confirmed that they have ordered the parts- indicating that the video was good enough for BMW. I should have the bike back by next Friday.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts