BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After taking a month off in July, I have another long ride planned for August.

On Saturday, I'll head north from Houston for the 1,600 mile ride to Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada to celebrate my Mother-in-law's 95th birthday. Kathy and James will fly up from Houston, and our other son, David will fly in from Birmingham, UK.

Concerned about the heat as the forecast is for temperatures in the mid 90s degF for this ride.

After all the celebrations, I'll ride south west back into the US to enjoy the Beartooth Pass and Chief Joseph Highway before riding across Yellowstone to West Gate in Idaho. I'll then follow Lewis and Clark up the Bitterroot and over Lolo to the Snake and Columbia Rivers.

Turning westwards in Idaho I'll return to Wyoming and Utah into Colorado to meet up with friends in Grand Junction.

I'll return home over the Million Dollar Highway to Durango and then into New Mexico staying overnight in Lubbock before the final day into Houston.

A bit over 6,000 miles in 24 days. https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=1dd445cd6f53221c11&hoursPast=0&showAll=yes

I'll try to post updates and pictures as possible during this ride.

Andy >:)

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Amorley,
On your return route south through Idaho on Highway 55, unless you have a reason to visit Boise (which is a nice city with great restaurants), consider leaving Highway 55 at Banks and go east on Highway 17 along the Payette River through Garden City and on to Lowman where you will reconnect with your original route. It’s shorter and more scenic (for me) byway with little traffic — I just rode that loop last week.
Ken

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
If you're hungry when near KC, scoot over a bit and I'll buy you a BBQ lunch, or dinner, whatever meal is appropriate. Safe travels on the next adventure!

·
Registered
983 Posts
95! How fantastic! Great job mom! Safe travels.

Reactions: amorley

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Amorley,
On your return route south through Idaho on Highway 55, unless you have a reason to visit Boise (which is a nice city with great restaurants), consider leaving Highway 55 at Banks and go east on Highway 17 along the Payette River through Garden City and on to Lowman where you will reconnect with your original route. It’s shorter and more scenic (for me) byway with little traffic — I just rode that loop last week.
Ken

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks for the tip, Ken! I am going into Boise as that is where I have booked a KOA cabin for the night.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Andy,

Coming down Lolo....Orofino Idaho is a great place to stop...Nice restaurants, view of The Clearwater River ....The photo is The Best Western Plus, nice restaurant next door..

Have a great trip...

Paul

Thanks for the tip! I am booked into the KOA just upstream at Kamiah. I may look to see if I can get a room at this Best Western.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First three days of my ride completed successfully and I have crossed the border into Manitoba, Canada at the Pembina - Emerson border point south of Winnipeg.

On Saturday, I left Houston early and rode north up I-45. It was overcast with an occasional drizzle until I reached Dallas where I hit a huge rainstorm. Very scary riding through the city in low visibility with heavy rain and lots of deep water on the freeways. At least three major accidents involving semi trucks and lots more with cars. A pickup truck spun out in front of me as I rode through Denton. Rain dried up at Gardiner and so it was a good ride up to Oklahoma City on I-35. Stayed the first night in a cabin at the KOA in Choctaw.

Sunday I left early again and rode 650 miles up through Wichita, KS to Topeka on I-35 and then on KS 75 into Nebraska. Crossed the Missouri and then went north on I-29 to Sioux Falls to stay in another KOA cabin. Lots of flooding still present south of Council Bluffs.

From Sioux Falls it was only 450 miles north into Canada for at total of 1,600 miles in three days.

KBiK will be parked for the next week as we celebrate Kathy’s Mother’s 95th Birthday.

https://www.texasmorleys.com/2010-2019/2019/2019-MC-Rides/August/index.html

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Hey, Andy! Got me dreaming once again!! I see you will be in the Jacksonville area during your October ride. We have space in the garage for Kbike, 2 empty bedrooms and a heated pool to stretch and relax your muscles. Open invitation to stay with us if/when you RON in Jacksonville. We're 1 mile off I95... Safe travels my friend.

Reactions: amorley

·
Registered
232 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the tip! I believe I have this already included into my itinerary. >:)>:)>:)

This shows a very detailed map of both my planned and actual ride:
https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=1dd445cd6f53221c11&hoursPast=0&showAll=yes

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey, Andy! Got me dreaming once again!! I see you will be in the Jacksonville area during your October ride. We have space in the garage for Kbike, 2 empty bedrooms and a heated pool to stretch and relax your muscles. Open invitation to stay with us if/when you RON in Jacksonville. We're 1 mile off I95... Safe travels my friend.
Thanks, that sounds just great. I have not made any bookings yet for my October Ride! I have to finish this one in August and then go to the UK in September first!

Retirement is Rigorous! :wink:>:):wink:>:)

Let's touch base when I return from Colorado and I make my October reservations to ensure the dates work for you! :grin:

·
Registered
79 Posts
I grew up in the area of Idaho you are riding through. Be careful on highway 12 this time of year. Lots of wildlife crossing and around the road which draws people to stop and look sometimes in the middle of the road. Logging trucks will be running up and down the highway along with grain trucks since the wheat harvest is just starting in the area. If I wasn't already going camping in the mountains in the same area (ele. 8500 ft and dirt road barely fit for a pickup) for the next 15 days, I would offer to buy lunch or dinner in Orofino.

There is also some road construction going on in Lewiston, ID right now right after you cross the Memorial bridge. It might be easier to just follow highway 12 through town and get on Snakeriver Ave instead of going up 21rst street and across on 16th Ave.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thanks for the tip! I believe I have this already included into my itinerary. >:)>:)>:)
It's a wicked road. Last time I was there (last year) I stopped, turned around and rode it another couple of times just for the heck of it.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Thanks, that sounds just great. I have not made any bookings yet for my October Ride! I have to finish this one in August and then go to the UK in September first!

Retirement is Rigorous! :wink:>:):wink:>:)

Let's touch base when I return from Colorado and I make my October reservations to ensure the dates work for you! :grin:
Sounds good. Enjoy the ride...

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts

This shows a very detailed map of both my planned and actual ride:
https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=1dd445cd6f53221c11&hoursPast=0&showAll=yes
Fantastic route. I just did almost all of your brown segment in ID/WA/OR. The only difference was that mine was a loop connecting roughly on US95 between New Meadows and Lewiston.

One caution....I see you're doing Old Spiral Hwy. We did it going bottom to top just 4 days ago. The lower section is spectacular and in great condition. However, be aware that the upper half is loaded with tar snakes. We were there in temperatures in the upper 90's and every bike in our group (a mix of RT's, GS's, my K and a few others) was jumping around on those...everyone slowed down.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fantastic route. I just did almost all of your brown segment in ID/WA/OR. The only difference was that mine was a loop connecting roughly on US95 between New Meadows and Lewiston.

One caution....I see you're doing Old Spiral Hwy. We did it going bottom to top just 4 days ago. The lower section is spectacular and in great condition. However, be aware that the upper half is loaded with tar snakes. We were there in temperatures in the upper 90's and every bike in our group (a mix of RT's, GS's, my K and a few others) was jumping around on those...everyone slowed down.
Thanks for the warning about the tar snakes on Old Spiral Highway. I'll be doing it from top to bottom early in the morning as I am now staying in Orofino. Hopefully the tar snakes will be cool and dormant!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
@amorley, you sure you don’t want to add the Black Hills of SD as a waypoint enroute to Beartooth and Chief Joseph? It’s basically along the way.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 69 Posts