BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have most of my farkles installed on my 2019 Grand America. Thought I'd provide pix and a short description of them.

My favorite is the Kuryakin #7149 Trunk Rack.

https://www.kuryakyn.com/products/4336/multi-rack-adjustable-trunk-luggage-rack

I have rarely been so pleased with an accessory. This trunk rack is one of the best products I've had the pleasure to install. The super adjustable mounting system with the ball and socket is so easily adjusted, it makes installing the rack a snap. I bought the black one for the K1600BGA and it looks absolutely great and looks like it was custom made for it. Makes the Wunderlich rack look like cheap junk. Plus, halleluia, it has rings for holding bungie cords. What a concept, but Wunderlich couldn't figure that one out.

I can provide drilling instructions if interested.

Next up, Aeroflow Aerowings for B and GA. About the best money to spend on a K1600.

Wunderlich Engine Guard Bars for B and GA. So, bit of a story on this one. You may note in the pix, that I don't have the floorboards but do have the fairing storage pockets. Which by the way, my dealer messed up the bike order and it came with the floorboards. I changed out the floorboards for side pockets myself.
Also, I really like G-pegs. They are the greatest highway peg for K1600. Way more comfortable than they might look and they also fold up completely out of the way when the world gets twisty.
So, it turns out that the stock engine guards, which are under the floorboards aren't compatible with the G-peg mounting. And the old style engine guards which are compatible with G-pegs, aren't compatible with the new design of the fairing.
When I saw these engine guards in the catalog, it looked like they would work with the G-pegs and they do.
Warning, this is a typical Wunderlich product. That means that the instructions are cryptic at best, no diagrams of how to mount, only low res photos that you might be able to decipher. And BTW, its not a German to English problem either, the German instructions are identical. The fit is very fussy and took some extra washers to take up some space where the fit wasn't right.
I also don't hate the look, but not in love either. The do look like they will protect the side plastic in a tip over, so points for that.
Overall, if you really love G-pegs, this is the only way to go. Otherwise, look elsewhere.

G-peg extended. That curved shape looks odd, but after 800 miles or so, your legs will appreciate it.

G-peg retracted. Completely out of the way and won't drag in a corner like Ilium pegs. The do tuck up over the foot levers, so big chunky Harley boots are not a good idea. The G-peg is about 1 1/2" over the brake pedal.

La Reina's (google it) accommodations. Armrests by BMW. On the right armrest is the La Reina control center. Cables for electric jacket and helmet headset (yes, wired). Push button control for electric gear with 3 settings. Push to talk switch. The wires are bundled and tie wrapped around these very large rubber twist ties from Home Depot. Keeps the wire in place but will easily bend out of the way in an emergency.

So, wired audio?? Yep, I do a lot of distance riding and fact is there isn't a bluetooth headset that lasts long enough. Also, the J&M wired helmet speakers sound SOOO much better than the tinny Japanese radio speakers used on all of the bluetooth systems.
I have the J&M MI-2034-16GTL Integrator V system. Unfortunately, John Lazzeroni (the J in J&M) is pissed at BMW and won't sell any BMW products any more. (Idiot).
The Integrator V system works great. I removed it from my 2012 GTL before I sold it and re-installed it on the GA. Time consuming and fussy installation. Cables up to the phone on one handlebar and Valentine V1 on the other handlebar. And on and on.
Hardest part is snaking cables around the gas tank and frame and up to the speakers and handlebars.

Left side panel gets the rider headset connector and a intercom volume/squelch control.

This is the very well made Ilium Rear Guard Bar #33-300 and the BMW passenger floorboards. Happy pillion = Happy rider !!

These are the Heli Bars Bar Backs. I originally had the Ilium Works Bar Backs installed. But those wouldn't work with the SW-Motech Micro Tank Bag that I installed. After 2 long trips, I've decided that the Micro Tank Bag isn't for me and I'm going to re-install the Ilium Bar Backs because they look better.

Myself and many other 2012 GT/GTL riders mounted a bicycle water bottle holder on the right side of the fairing facia just over the storage compartment. However, the new design of the fairing, with the bump that curves rearward, means you can't get a water bottle in or out anymore.
So for now, I've installed this ugly Harley/Goldwing water bottle cup holder on the right handlebar. Until I can figure out a better method like maybe an angled bracket that would mount a bottle holder. The Valentine V1 is here also on RAM mounts.

Here's the left side handle bar with the cell phone holder and audio and power cables. Note that the new reverse/fog light button covers up any screws to use for RAM mounts, so I found a RAM mount that uses a hose clamp. BTW, U bolt versions won't work because of the weird size of the handlebar there.

You may have noticed the small plastic flex wire loom going up the RAM mounts. Those are handlebar lights. Thanks to someone (I don't remember) on this forum for the original idea. Some small LED lights that are hot glued into the end of the plastic loom with a little plastic shield also hot glued on.
I installed a HEXezCAN module to control the switched power for everything without having to splice into the BMW wires. The unit has adjustable light controls. I don't have any accessory lights, so I used one of the light circuits to power the LED's. Now they are easily adjustable from the Wonderwheel.

Also on the light front, I installed Clearwater Betsy front amber light conversions and Schrodie Blue/Yellow roundel lights.

On the right side panel, is the Warm & Safe heated gear controller with the gear power plug below. At the very top is the Mo-Door garage door opener. I used the "Stock Harley" switch type as it is waterproof.

The heated gear, front and rear, the Audio system power, the cell phone power and Betsy and Schrodie lights are all powered by a Fuzeblocks FZ-1 tied directly to the battery (only 1 extra ring terminal for everything). As I mentioned before, the HEXezCAN controls the relay for the FZ-1 switched power.

I can answer any questions you might have about any of these installs.

·
Premium Member
2,520 Posts
Looks good BB. Where did you get a PTT switch for the intercom? My J&M is still vox but a PTT would be nice

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, truth be told, the PTT is still a work in progress. My plan is to use a small relay to short out the VOX potentiometer to the most sensitive position, which should be equivalent to PTT. I wanted to install the push button with all of the other cable routing.

And yes, the J&M VOX is a weak point. It only works at a certain setting if the noise level stays constant. In real life, with varying speeds and varying winds, it has to be chased around.

·
Registered
587 Posts
i like your switch group LED idea, i've been wondering why BMW didn't opt to put a back light into the switch groups.

Do you have more detail on how that works? I didn't see any detail about that.
Your heated gear install looks good, factory!

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
BB, two questions please.

1. I see that you replaced the stock gas cap. Which one did you go with? Did you replace it in order to avoid the gas nozzle from hitting the handlebar cross brace when fueling? If so, did it help compared to fueling with the stock gas cap/bar back configuration?

2. Did you notice the ilium works bar backs making much of a difference ergonomically compared to the Helibar bar backs? Or will you put the ilium works bar backs back on purely for the improved looks of it compared to the Helibar bar backs? It appears that the ilium bar backs will move the bars approx. 0.4" closer to the rider than the Helibar bar backs and I was curious if that made much of a difference comfort wise to you.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
K16Guy - the lights are from SuperBright LED's.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/high-powered/little-dot-smd-led-accent-light/639/
The description above has all of the info on how I built them and wired them. If you have a more specific question, holler back.

Ronpie - The gas cap (oops, forgot that on my list) is from SSR racing. I did a post previously on how I installed that.
https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bm...-installing-slingshot-racing-gas-cap-bga.html
Filling the stock gas cap with a California vapor recovery nozzle was frustrating as can be. (I travel to Cali often). The SSR cap makes fueling stops QUICK and EASY. And no, I don't worry about gas theft, even in Mexico (where I also travel often).

The Ilium bar backs are a smidge more comfortable with the about 1/2" closer. But mostly it's the looks.

And here's another post on my armrest installation.
https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bm...nstalling-arm-rests-k1600b-grand-america.html

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Some have asked for info on mounting the Kuryakyn rack.

Apply blue painter tape. Draw a centerline from the back rest to the center of the roundel on the back of the trunk.

Now, measure 6" on either side of the centerline and draw 2 new PARALLEL lines front to back. The parallel lines are 12" apart.

Measure 1.25" from the edge of the speaker grill trim towards the back. Make 2 marks there on each of the parallel lines. For bikes without rear speakers, the point is parallel with the most rearward point of the backrest vinyl. Mark there and then mark the front to back lines.

The rear posts are 4.5" back from the front posts. Don't go longer than this or the ball/sockets will hit on the curved portion of the rack.

Check everything 1000 times, then drill at the 4 marks.

The top case outer shell is tough enough there that I didn't put any spacers between the outer and inner shells. If you look inside the top case at the inner shell, it looks like there are 4 "pads" that look like BMW intends to make a rack to use those pads for mounting. The holes you will drill for the above are very close to those pads.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry, but I've gotten busy the last few days. I think I can get those measurements tonight. Kuryakyn doesn't provide specific instructions for any bike. I put blue tape down and eyeballed and checked over and over the markings for the drill holes. The nice thing about the rack mounting flexibility with the ball and socket is that the holes can be off by a lot and still work.

·
Premium Member
2,438 Posts
Your installation and detail work looks great. You really took your time..

I'm probably not the first to say this, but I'd be remiss if I didn't say to be extra careful with bungees on the rear rack. . They can really do some damage and have been the cause of accidents in the past.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Great detail...

...and thanks for taking the time to post and share this. I just picked up my new G.A. and have been trying to figure out how to best "FARKLE" her up. I especially like the luggage rack...I have noticed there's not near as much packing space as on my previous machines...especially if the main-squeeze is along for the trip with me...thanks again!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for all the great information. I just ordered the Kuryakyn luggage rack based mostly on your review. I would really appreciate any tips and/or instructions you could share regarding the install.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, the Kury rack is super flexible to install. Personally and in retrospect, I would try to mount it using the flat spots on the inside of the case. Look on the inside of the top lid and you will see there are 4 flat circles. Before you drill, measure out the 4 circles and their center points, transfer that to some cardboard and see if the rack will mount into those holes. I'm pretty sure it would, I think the supports may be a little off of vertical, but with the design of the rack that won't matter.
The measurements I provided above make the supports vertical but hit the inside of the lid in not the best positions. I wish now I had done it differently.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As for tips, cover the lid with blue painter tape while doing the install and measuring and especially trial fitting and drilling. Measure twice, go to bed, get up, measure twice again, then maybe drill. Final installation of the rack is a balancing act as everything is so flexible. Tighten the support clamps enough to keep it from falling but still moveable with a bit of force. Don't worry where or how it is lying until you get the clamps tight, then move it around to the right position, then final tighten. It will take some time to arrange it, it's like infinitely adjustable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So, I have most of my farkles installed on my 2019 Grand America. Thought I'd provide pix and a short description of them.

My favorite is the Kuryakin #7149 Trunk Rack.

https://www.kuryakyn.com/products/4336/multi-rack-adjustable-trunk-luggage-rack

I have rarely been so pleased with an accessory. This trunk rack is one of the best products I've had the pleasure to install. The super adjustable mounting system with the ball and socket is so easily adjusted, it makes installing the rack a snap. I bought the black one for the K1600BGA and it looks absolutely great and looks like it was custom made for it. Makes the Wunderlich rack look like cheap junk. Plus, halleluia, it has rings for holding bungie cords. What a concept, but Wunderlich couldn't figure that one out.

I can provide drilling instructions if interested.

Next up, Aeroflow Aerowings for B and GA. About the best money to spend on a K1600.

Wunderlich Engine Guard Bars for B and GA. So, bit of a story on this one. You may note in the pix, that I don't have the floorboards but do have the fairing storage pockets. Which by the way, my dealer messed up the bike order and it came with the floorboards. I changed out the floorboards for side pockets myself.
Also, I really like G-pegs. They are the greatest highway peg for K1600. Way more comfortable than they might look and they also fold up completely out of the way when the world gets twisty.
So, it turns out that the stock engine guards, which are under the floorboards aren't compatible with the G-peg mounting. And the old style engine guards which are compatible with G-pegs, aren't compatible with the new design of the fairing.
When I saw these engine guards in the catalog, it looked like they would work with the G-pegs and they do.
Warning, this is a typical Wunderlich product. That means that the instructions are cryptic at best, no diagrams of how to mount, only low res photos that you might be able to decipher. And BTW, its not a German to English problem either, the German instructions are identical. The fit is very fussy and took some extra washers to take up some space where the fit wasn't right.
I also don't hate the look, but not in love either. The do look like they will protect the side plastic in a tip over, so points for that.
Overall, if you really love G-pegs, this is the only way to go. Otherwise, look elsewhere.

G-peg extended. That curved shape looks odd, but after 800 miles or so, your legs will appreciate it.

G-peg retracted. Completely out of the way and won't drag in a corner like Ilium pegs. The do tuck up over the foot levers, so big chunky Harley boots are not a good idea. The G-peg is about 1 1/2" over the brake pedal.

La Reina's (google it) accommodations. Armrests by BMW. On the right armrest is the La Reina control center. Cables for electric jacket and helmet headset (yes, wired). Push button control for electric gear with 3 settings. Push to talk switch. The wires are bundled and tie wrapped around these very large rubber twist ties from Home Depot. Keeps the wire in place but will easily bend out of the way in an emergency.

So, wired audio?? Yep, I do a lot of distance riding and fact is there isn't a bluetooth headset that lasts long enough. Also, the J&M wired helmet speakers sound SOOO much better than the tinny Japanese radio speakers used on all of the bluetooth systems.
I have the J&M MI-2034-16GTL Integrator V system. Unfortunately, John Lazzeroni (the J in J&M) is pissed at BMW and won't sell any BMW products any more. (Idiot).
The Integrator V system works great. I removed it from my 2012 GTL before I sold it and re-installed it on the GA. Time consuming and fussy installation. Cables up to the phone on one handlebar and Valentine V1 on the other handlebar. And on and on.
Hardest part is snaking cables around the gas tank and frame and up to the speakers and handlebars.

Left side panel gets the rider headset connector and a intercom volume/squelch control.

This is the very well made Ilium Rear Guard Bar #33-300 and the BMW passenger floorboards. Happy pillion = Happy rider !!

These are the Heli Bars Bar Backs. I originally had the Ilium Works Bar Backs installed. But those wouldn't work with the SW-Motech Micro Tank Bag that I installed. After 2 long trips, I've decided that the Micro Tank Bag isn't for me and I'm going to re-install the Ilium Bar Backs because they look better.

Myself and many other 2012 GT/GTL riders mounted a bicycle water bottle holder on the right side of the fairing facia just over the storage compartment. However, the new design of the fairing, with the bump that curves rearward, means you can't get a water bottle in or out anymore.
So for now, I've installed this ugly Harley/Goldwing water bottle cup holder on the right handlebar. Until I can figure out a better method like maybe an angled bracket that would mount a bottle holder. The Valentine V1 is here also on RAM mounts.

Here's the left side handle bar with the cell phone holder and audio and power cables. Note that the new reverse/fog light button covers up any screws to use for RAM mounts, so I found a RAM mount that uses a hose clamp. BTW, U bolt versions won't work because of the weird size of the handlebar there.

You may have noticed the small plastic flex wire loom going up the RAM mounts. Those are handlebar lights. Thanks to someone (I don't remember) on this forum for the original idea. Some small LED lights that are hot glued into the end of the plastic loom with a little plastic shield also hot glued on.
I installed a HEXezCAN module to control the switched power for everything without having to splice into the BMW wires. The unit has adjustable light controls. I don't have any accessory lights, so I used one of the light circuits to power the LED's. Now they are easily adjustable from the Wonderwheel.

Also on the light front, I installed Clearwater Betsy front amber light conversions and Schrodie Blue/Yellow roundel lights.

On the right side panel, is the Warm & Safe heated gear controller with the gear power plug below. At the very top is the Mo-Door garage door opener. I used the "Stock Harley" switch type as it is waterproof.

The heated gear, front and rear, the Audio system power, the cell phone power and Betsy and Schrodie lights are all powered by a Fuzeblocks FZ-1 tied directly to the battery (only 1 extra ring terminal for everything). As I mentioned before, the HEXezCAN controls the relay for the FZ-1 switched power.

I can answer any questions you might have about any of these installs.
First of all, I love your farkles. How did you get the accessories (handle bar lights) controlled by the wonder wheel, or did I misunderstand. Where did yo grab the bike’s switched power?
2018 K16B GA Premium.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts