BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anybody here thought of switching from a K1600 to a R800GS or R1250GSA? Has anybody made that change? Did you regret it or loved it? like to hear your thoughts on the subject. I love my K1600 but every time I am at the dealership its like the "Force" is calling me to a GSA .Its just a sexy looking bike. It's like a Blonde vs. Brunette to me. Wish I had unlimited income, but just want to hear your thoughts on this. Yes I did test drive the GSA (never off road) but it was a fun bike non the less to ride , but so is anything on 2 wheels.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I had a K1600 GTL. Frankly, it was a rebound bike from the RT I got rear-ended on - put me in the hospital, totaled the bike. The power was seductive, and I loved the smoothness and comfort, but it was heavier than I wanted. Also, it was a '12 and it didn't have some of the driveline improvements of later years (it was a snatchy bucking mess at low speed) and it was a left-pull bike as well. I got fed up with it and got another RT mainly because it was a known quantity and a GS was simply too tall for me. When BMW offered a lowered GSA in '16 I bought one and never looked back.

It doesn't have the endless smooth power of the K16 nor does it have all the electronics: menu-driven dash, crappy BT radio. For me, this is a good thing. I do miss the K16's adaptive (leaning) headlight although I considered it not as powerful as it should be.

My bike is basically my daily driver and from the standpoint of carrying things, the top-opening panniers are heavenly (I have no top box). No need to stuff groceries in and hold them in position while closing the lid, nothing falls out when opening them up, and their regular shape (no lumps, bumps, etc.) make it easier to fill them efficiently. I'm not talking about the Varios on the GS, I'm talking about the OEMs for the GSA, or any of the third-party hard cases (Jesse, Bumot, Globalstar, Touratech, ...)

I liked the GSA so much I just replaced it with a new one, 4 years newer and 150,000 fewer miles. I think being unable to display KPH on the TFT dash is a major fail though, considering how much time I spend riding in Canada. I can get GPS speed on the Nav VI in either metric or US units though, so it's not an insurmountable problem.

I'm 99+% on road and consider it a comfortable naked standard with a gas-filled fairing. With the right tires, and in the right hands, it's capable of amazing things but I use Michelin Road 5 tires on my wire wheels and mine are not the right hands.

·
Registered
360 Posts
K or G?

Anybody here thought of switching from a K1600 to a R800GS or R1250GSA? Has anybody made that change? Did you regret it or loved it? like to hear your thoughts on the subject. I love my K1600 but everything I am at the dealership its like the "Force" is calling me to a GSA its just as sexy as well. It's like a Blonde vs. Brunette to me. Which I had unlimited income. but just want to hear your thoughts on it. Yes I did test drive the GSA (never off road) but it was a fun bike non the less but so is anything on 2 wheels lol.
I don’t have any children so my extra cash goes on bikes! I’m lucky enough to have both a K16GTL and took delivery of a 1250GSA a few months ago which replaced my 1200GSA Triple Black.

Thing is Wizard..... they are 2 different bikes, the K with its turbine smooth power whilst the 1250GSA has more direct grunt which connects you more to biking, and the 1250 Shift Cam engine is a leap forward from the 1200 Engine. To be honest, if it was a 1200GSA versus the K16 then for me the K16 would win. The K16 is “The Gentleman’s Express” .....The 1250GSA is “Step aboard The Adventure Express”.

In reality, ride them both, choose the one that makes you smile most, and the one which you would choose 1st if you had both. It does depend what you are using them for, both of mine are used almost exclusively for touring the Scottish Highlands, and I would be happy on either. If it’s colder/heated seat/adjustable windshield weather then K16, if it’s pushing along poorer tarmac single track roads and you need extra vision/height and super smooth suspension which soaks up everything - it’s the 1250GSA. The GSA is pointless off-road, way to heavy.

I do around 18000 miles a year, split between the bikes, very little on motorways/highways. Mostly country roads, albeit usually well enough surfaced.

Enjoy choosing what’s right for You!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Apples and oranges! Two different bikes; right on top of their respective food chains.
I wouldn’t change one for the other. I know my reply does not help you but I feel it’s the truth; at least from someone who has both.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your inputs. I just druel over the R line up. Maybe I just need to save up 20,000 or so for a nice one with little miles. I noticed all the used ones are so raped in miles. Wonder if I am better off getting a 2011 with 50,000 miles on it to see if its for me. But totally love the new ones with the TFT display. Sleek , sexy and modern. just how i love my bikes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have both, although my GS is a 1200 (Rallye X) the 800 GS is from the "F" range of bikes. My wife and I love the gravel back roads passing by farms etc and the GS is awesome for that especially 2 up. We also enjoy long road trips and our GTL is amazing for that, can carry heaps of stuff, like camping gear etc, the engine is more like a 118kw electric motor, so smooth with tons of get up n go. So both are used for totally different things and both do their jobs really well.
Tough decision for you.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I went from a K1600GT to a R1250GS with a Yamaha Super Tenere in between.

The 1600 is a fantastic bike but I really, really, like the 1250. It does everything I need it to do and the lighter weight makes a lot of difference to me. I always noticed the extra heft of the 1600 and even though it handled it well I always knew it was there. The GS is more comfortable as well. It just fits me perfect. For me, the 1250 is a much better all around bike. I really love the TFT instruments and the visibility they offer. As much as I liked the 1600 when I had it I don't really miss it now that I have the 1250.

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
Maybe I just need to save up 20,000 or so for a nice one with little miles. I noticed all the used ones are so raped in miles. Wonder if I am better off getting a 2011 with 50,000 miles on it to see if its for me..
Thats what I did, picked up an 09 that had about 38k on it, paid 10,000 for it. It was clean, the plastics were flawless, it was a nice bike and was loaded with all options. The last owner had only ridden it on highway. I had added a few extras to it in the first few months of ownership, RDL seat, Blackdog pegs etc..

When I went to sell earlier this year (after 18months of ownership) I couldn't give the SOB away. I advertised it on cycletrader, the MOA Marketlace, GSA forums, FB Market place and local advertising outlets etc... I had it listed for 5 months and my price eventually went down to 7500 bucks on some outlets with no, zero, nada, zip, zilch interest. I eventually took 6500 bucks for it on trade for my XR.

So.. heres a little advise.
Before you buy one you better make **** sure your in love with it and not just infatuated because your married to it. Its kinda like that first wife that takes you for half of everything you put into the marriage when you decide to get rid of her. Theres so many of these used bikes out there that getting rid of one.. well I felt like a boat owner. The two happiest days of a boat owner is the day he buys it and the day he sells it. Problem was I couldn't sell it so I had to buy another boat just to get rid of the phuckin thing.

In hind site, I should have withdrawn $5,000 dollars from my bank account and walked out on the street and handed it to the first person I seen and went home. I would be in the exact same position I am today except someone out there would have been happy. Maybe they could have put the money to good use because I sure as **** didnt. Buying that bike was one of the poorest decisions I've ever made.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I went from a K1600GT to a R1250GS with a Yamaha Super Tenere in between.

The 1600 is a fantastic bike but I really, really, like the 1250. It does everything I need it to do and the lighter weight makes a lot of difference to me. I always noticed the extra heft of the 1600 and even though it handled it well I always knew it was there. The GS is more comfortable as well. It just fits me perfect. For me, the 1250 is a much better all around bike. I really love the TFT instruments and the visibility they offer. As much as I liked the 1600 when I had it I don't really miss it now that I have the 1250.

@bmac

How did you find the Super Tenere? I’m looking for long term Winter Bike that I can use when the roads are salted up - it’s no GSA however would it fill the winter riding gap? I have a 1250GSA which is laid up for winter. My New K16 arrives as soon as BMW Berlin start producing factory updated gearbox models. Your thoughts appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
After smashing my 2015 1600GT I test rode a GS and GSA. the GS is 250 pounds lighter than my GT and I can flick it around the back roads a lot better.

BMW has three models. The GS Rallye which leans toward the dirt, The GS Exclusive which is the best looking and the GS Adventure if you want to go places like Alaska without carting extra gas. The GSA I tested was just too big. That 8 gallon tank was way to wide. The GS Exclusive is just the right size for doing everything. I can carve out the back-roads like a sport bike and change the tires to go on the dirt. I think it handles way better than the GSA I tested. Something about the different rake and trail. My friend has a GSA and also says my GS handles better than the GSA.

I'm very happy with the GS over the 1600. I put over 20k on it the first year and I'm planning an Alaska trip in late May. Something I would have never done with my 1600.
While you can get a used one for much less I would look for a newer one with the TFT display. BMW has got a good deal going for leftover 19 models.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I was really considering the 1250 GS HP edition a few weeks ago, over my k1600 GTL option 719. here's my .02c.
firstly I extensively rode the 4 GS models we get in south Africa, about 6 hours of test riding.
the biggest advantage was the weight saving.
In the Auto trader, there are pages of Gs 1250 bikes available, literally 100's of them - 2019 K1600 GTL, only 2 white ones, option 719, zero.
according to BMW sa, no more 719 will be coming this side, and only 3 GTL allocated for 2020. This makes the GTL, more scarce and sought after. Then the options, the 1250 comes with nothing, and is a fortune to buy a few necessities for the bike, like crash bars, boxes, fogs, etc, etc.
I feel if you not going to do any off road riding, stick to the k or even the new RS. For me I did not see value in the GS for the price they command, but I do see value in my GTl, at almost the same price point.

I understand beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but look at this thing, how can you not fall in love....lol

·
Registered
385 Posts
How did you find the Super Tenere? I’m looking for long term Winter Bike that I can use when the roads are salted up - it’s no GSA however would it fill the winter riding gap? I have a 1250GSA which is laid up for winter. My New K16 arrives as soon as BMW Berlin start producing factory updated gearbox models. Your thoughts appreciated.
It is an excellent motorcycle! I had a 2012,2014, and a 2016. I picked up a BMW K1600GT when I sold the 2014. In 2018 I test rode a R1200GS and chose the Super Tenere over it mainly due to smoother engine at higher speeds and very attractive pricing on the Yamaha. In the USA left over Super Tenere's can be had for about 1/2 what a new GS costs. The GS is superior at low speed handling as well as high speed sporting duty. The Super Tenere is a bit heavier and feels quite a bit heavier while rolling than the GS. It is slower to transition from side to side than the GS. Overall, it is an extremely well built bike and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone interested in one.

Good luck!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Trade-in or Give-in....

Thats what I did, picked up an 09 that had about 38k on it, paid 10,000 for it. It was clean, the plastics were flawless, it was a nice bike and was loaded with all options. The last owner had only ridden it on highway. I had added a few extras to it in the first few months of ownership, RDL seat, Blackdog pegs etc..

When I went to sell earlier this year (after 18months of ownership) I couldn't give the SOB away. I advertised it on cycletrader, the MOA Marketlace, GSA forums, FB Market place and local advertising outlets etc... I had it listed for 5 months and my price eventually went down to 7500 bucks on some outlets with no, zero, nada, zip, zilch interest. I eventually took 6500 bucks for it on trade for my XR.

Before you buy one you better make **** sure your in love with it and not just infatuated because your married to it. Its kinda like that first wife that takes you for half of everything you put into the marriage when you decide to get rid of her. Theres so many of these used bikes out there that getting rid of one.. well I felt like a boat owner. The two happiest days of a boat owner is the day he buys it and the day he sells it. Problem was I couldn't sell it so I had to buy another boat just to get rid of the phuckin thing.

In hind site, I should have withdrawn $5,000 dollars from my bank account and walked out on the street and handed it to the first person I seen and went home. I would be in the exact same position I am today except someone out there would have been happy. Maybe they could have put the money to good use because I sure as **** didnt. Buying that bike was one of the poorest decisions I've ever made.
Have to agree on Used Values Darbinco .....they drop like a stone. Only works if you keep trading them back to your dealer for another or buy a low mileage Used K16 which has taken the depreciation hit. I have my 3rd Warranty Replacement K16 arriving early 2020, which is hopefully the final replacement for my 1st New Model June 2017 K16GTLE. Oddly it means I will be sitting with a Brand New 2020 Bike as a replacement for my New 2017 & 2018 K’s. Most sensible thing I could do is sell or trade it straight away!

........but ........it is such a fine/super smooth Tourer, albeit the weight needs to be remembered at slow speed as you won’t catch it if it goes (thankfully never dropped one, mind you never had one that lasted long enough before being replaced!).

K16? ......smart buyer buys a Used one!

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I am in the same boat with a 2019 Yamaha R3 I purchase I been trying to sell it since AUG. I just get low ballers.
The first R1200GSA I ever saw was when I purchased a 2011 S1000RR. (Shine Yellow) Till this day thats the only model that comes in yellow. I look online for that bike and they go for 10G with 50,000 on average on miles. I do find some with for 6-8G but they dont have top cases and they look well runned.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After smashing my 2015 1600GT I test rode a GS and GSA. the GS is 250 pounds lighter than my GT and I can flick it around the back roads a lot better.

BMW has three models. The GS Rallye which leans toward the dirt, The GS Exclusive which is the best looking and the GS Adventure if you want to go places like Alaska without carting extra gas. The GSA I tested was just too big. That 8 gallon tank was way to wide. The GS Exclusive is just the right size for doing everything. I can carve out the back-roads like a sport bike and change the tires to go on the dirt. I think it handles way better than the GSA I tested. Something about the different rake and trail. My friend has a GSA and also says my GS handles better than the GSA.

I'm very happy with the GS over the 1600. I put over 20k on it the first year and I'm planning an Alaska trip in late May. Something I would have never done with my 1600.
While you can get a used one for much less I would look for a newer one with the TFT display. BMW has got a good deal going for leftover 19 models.

I have to find used. Only because the original owner will put up all the extra cost. Add a buch on extras on top of it and i can get a better deal that way. I don't know what you can call me as a rider I put an average of 3K miles on a bike a year. Longest I ever owned a bike was 2 2/12 years putting 8K on it. I always jump from bike to bike. My K1600 has Almost 3K miles on it from this summer. Now its outside Covered up. Getting snowed on lol.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I went from an adventure bike to the GT 1600. I test drove a GS, but since I use it mostly for street, it felt a little more disconnected to the road, and tall. Plus, for now, I wanted to get down to 1 bike, tired of paying insurance on multiple bikes when I can only ride 1 at a time. I settled on the 1600 because it was important to me that my wife liked it. She likes to go with me on multiple day trips, and she never really enjoyed the adventure tourer ergonomics. We are in our sixties, so, that comes into the picture too.
I love the big K bike. Rides smooth, fast, corners way better than a bike it’s size has any business doing. The weight. It is a drag in parking lots. I dropped it making a tight u turn and not keeping the speed up. Glad I had buddies along, I doubt I could of picked that beast up on my own.

So, for now, the K bike sits in the garage. As I get older, maybe something lighter down the road.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I'm so happy that i had some extra money and bought a used R1200GSA IN ADDITION TO my K16GT. It was fun for a bit, didn't do much incredibly but did it all acceptably.
Like @Darbinco, I bought mine with close to 50K miles for near $10K and 9 months later, couldn't sell it for $9, $8 or even $7.5K. Sold it to a local guy for $7K and lost a bunch.
Different strokes for different folks, it's a fun bike but doesn't do what my K16GT does. I'm a 2up, long distance rider and there's no way the GSA would make momma happy on any ride over 100miles.
Some folks love it for long distance riding but I'll stick with mine, it's made for it.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Been there..done that.

I'm still here but the GSA isnt. Im so glad I didnt sacrifice my K1600 to get one.
I hear you. :smile:

I've only ridden a friend's 1200GS on a few trips, but I can't imagine even comparing it to a 1600. They are completely different bikes meant for different purposes.

Strange.....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts