BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Happy New Year and as such I would like to kick off a new thread for the 2020 BMW MOA rally coming up June 25-28 in Great Falls, MT. https://rally.bmwmoa.org/site-map/ There is an early bird discount going on right now. https://rally.bmwmoa.org/registration-open/

This will be a place where folks can post if they are going and perhaps be able to connect with others on their ride out or back from their homes.

I know many of us are going and for those new to BMW ownership and have never been to the rally you should think about attending. We always have a good time and the chance to meet other forum members has sparked long term friendships.

We usually have a group camping site just for K1600 riders and I will pursue that again this year. Our contact from previous years has retired from that position so I'll reach out for the new one. In the past we were able to rent a large canopy and some tables and have them installed in the group camping area for us. Everyone attending then pitches in a few bucks to pay for it. It makes for an easy to find meeting place for the campers and folks staying in motels.

So start posting with anything you want to say about attending this event.

I'll see you in Montana
AZ Jim

·
Premium Member
6,772 Posts
Carolyn and I will be there, she'll fly out and I'll pick her up in Rapid City, SD. We'll do Big Horn, Chief Joseph/Beartooth on the way to Great Falls. After the rally we're heading north to ride Banff. After Banff we'll backtrack to Great Falls and Carolyn will fly home. We'll be 'motelling' it on this trip, but will gladly contribute to the tent/canopy rental.

Duane

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Right now I'm riding out solo from Minneapolis. Would gladly ride out and/or back with others on a similar itinerary.
Currently staying at the Hilton Garden Inn.

As in past Rally's I've attended, I'll be volunteering at least a half day.
I don't have any firm riding plans other than riding the Going to the Sun Road through Glacier Nat'l Park

Will be great to meet up with everybody again!

Joe

·
Premium Member
2,493 Posts
Wendy and I are registered. We’re doing opposite of GunnerT, Grand Tetons, Banff, then back to the rally. Wendy has some Work related month end things to take care so we have to high tail it back. We’re in for canopy as well. Always a good time!!!
Great time to put names with faces!

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Just registered.

The plan is to hit the Chief Joseph Rally in John Day, Oregon the week before and spend 4 days between, likely going through Lolo Pass and Beartooth Hwy....details TBD.

Who knows beyond that? :D

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Syenny and I will be attending; this will be my first BMW event.

·
Premium Member
1,850 Posts
1250 miles up. 1250 miles back. Hmmmm....maybe!?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I'm going to try to attend. I just started a new job so time off is minimum, but I could make Great Falls in a long day if I had to. Plus, I would love to ride hwy 12 into Lolo again.

Zach

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
We usually have a group camping site just for K1600 riders and I will pursue that again this year. Our contact from previous years has retired from that position so I'll reach out for the new one. In the past we were able to rent a large canopy and some tables and have them installed in the group camping area for us. Everyone attending then pitches in a few bucks to pay for it. It makes for an easy to find meeting place for the campers and folks staying in motels.

I'll see you in Montana
AZ Jim
I see this year's rally chairs, Becky & Corey Smith, are standing next to a GTL in the Rally site photo...

·
Registered
465 Posts
I'm planning on going. Saw the doc today and the wound is technically healed. Just need to get the swelling down and strengthen the tissue. I'll be starting my riding portion in Kokomo, IN. Heading up to MN to see an Army buddy outside of Minneapolis, and then to my ancestral area in northern MN. Probably try to spend the night at Minot AFB and make Great Falls the next day. Not sure if I'm going to camp or get a room at Malmstrom AFB. Depends on the availability of electricity to run my CPAP. I'd like to camp, but I also have this thing about breathing at night.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am thinking about going. I have never been to the big one but a few years ago went to a small on in Monterrey, California. There is not much on the web site for the 2020 in Montana. Can you share with me what the big one has to offer that would entice me to go?

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I am thinking about going. I have never been to the big one but a few years ago went to a small on in Monterrey, California. There is not much on the web site for the 2020 in Montana. Can you share with me what the big one has to offer that would entice me to go?

Start here: https://rally.bmwmoa.org/

Joe

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Keep an eye on the website. They will update fairly frequently now that they're selling tix.

Joe

·
Premium Member
6,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There is not much on the web site for the 2020 in Montana. Can you share with me what the big one has to offer that would entice me to go?

First there will be a BUNCH of us from the forum there. At the rally will be lots of vendors geared towards BMW riders so not many (if any) black leather vendors. Most major riding gear outfits will be there and bike accessory suppliers like Twisted Throttle, Kathy's soft luggage, ear protection, helmets, shocks, tires, seats and a lot of foreign motorcycle travel excursion contacts.

There will be 1/2 hour to 1 hour long seminars covering all aspects of motorcycle riding. Many of these will be offered several times so if you miss one you might be able to catch it the next day. These will start on Thursday morning and run every day up through Saturday late afternoon. There will be lots of door prizes given away all weekend. BMW will have a line up of their motorcycles available for demo rides.

Every evening there will be some kind of music event along with a large beer garden. There "should be" plenty of carnival type food vendors but the number has varied from rally to rally. Looking at the event map and surrounding city area I see some restaurants nearby.

If you've never been to the "big" one you should give it a go. Besides the location this year will make for some fun rides just to get there and back.

If you don't belong to the BMW MOA you should join now and start receiving their monthly magazine which will have articles about the rally right up to the June issue. As mentioned in an earlier post there will be more info about this particular rally on their web site as it gets closer to the date.

·
Premium Member
6,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Arizona Jim, I got things rolling. I not much of a camper anymore so I reserved a couple rooms for a friend and me. I will be there.
Great I think you'll enjoy yourself.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
I’ve registered also...looks like I’ll be staying at the Red(verz) Roof Inn. :grin:

1 - 20 of 129 Posts