BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I guess we should all sell our K1600s and buy Goldwings or Moto Guzzis or …...
If were going to be sensible we would all dump the motorcycles and buy a Toyota Corolla. Much more safety, weather protection, air conditioning, an automatic transmission along with the potential for better fuel economy.

Tires would last 5x longer, protection from the sun and elements, could go on and on!

Has anyone considered this ultimate solution?

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
36K heck it's just getting broke in by then. It will have a good 100,000 miles of life left and then some. These aren't your 70s motorcycle.

Yes I know that, but I was never really a fan of a black bike. I was really hoping that the 2020 line up would have a red B, but silver will do.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
I really do want to see the Mother Ship do well, but with no manual trans offered for the new 3 Series, and these confounding new color options (Blue Planet now mixed with Ivory, a lovely option for...Penn State fans; darker, poop brown seating and bike color options; silver on their cruiser-ish model), I can see why recently BMW Group canned their head honcho, er, I mean he's leaving "to pursue other options": https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1123916_bmw-ceo-to-step-down

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
If were going to be sensible we would all dump the motorcycles and buy a Toyota Corolla. Much more safety, weather protection, air conditioning, an automatic transmission along with the potential for better fuel economy.

Tires would last 5x longer, protection from the sun and elements, could go on and on!

Has anyone considered this ultimate solution?

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk
Buses? Trains? Uber?

·
Premium Member
2,877 Posts
I really do want to see the Mother Ship do well, but with no manual trans offered for the new 3 Series, and these confounding new color options (Blue Planet now mixed with Ivory, a lovely option for...Penn State fans; darker, poop brown seating and bike color options; silver on their cruiser-ish model), I can see why recently BMW Group canned their head honcho, er, I mean he's leaving "to pursue other options": https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1123916_bmw-ceo-to-step-down
Good thing is that they don’t force their taste on you by putting a prohibitive price tag on it. No option 719 nonsense for me and there will always be a black color option and after market companies.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Good thing is that they don’t force their taste on you by putting a prohibitive price tag on it. No option 719 nonsense for me and there will always be a black color option and after market companies.
I love my single-color Blue Planet and light tan seat, BUT of course, folks will still have basic color options, which is a good thing. No one's being critical of that.

But if they really want to provide a different option for a couple years, how about Namibian Metallic, a lighter-colored orange, which has been offered repeatedly in expensive BMW limited-edition cars, but to my knowledge, only once in bikes, the '07 to '09-ish, big GS?

Yes, it's all subjective, but why offer MORE brown? You've offered Blue Planet and Sparkling Storm for several years and want to change? Great idea. But why mix one of the shades with white and darken the other? n the past, BMW has usually offered "non-staple" colors for a couple years, and then, to quote Monty Python, offered "something completely different."

Obviously, color preference is subjective, and I hope everyone who is not me loves the new colors, because again, I want BMW to do well. Plus, on the customer's side of things, it's your money, your bike, and your choice, and no one should give a bleep whether anyone else doesn't like the color of their bike or not. I just don't "get" the choices from a marketing perspective myself.

·
Premium Member
2,877 Posts
I had a good local paint shop price out a custom color paint job with me supplying the stripped Tupperware to them. They asked $1250 for it all included. Always an option to get the color that you want.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
I had a good local paint shop price out a custom color paint job with me supplying the stripped Tupperware to them. They asked $1250 for it all included. Always an option to get the color that you want.
Yep. Had I not found a color I really liked, that's exactly what I was gonna do myself.

All things being equal, I wanted to keep the bike stock color if possible for the sake of resale value...but to Duane's point, painting it "my own" orange color would have encouraged me to hang onto it, and instead save the money that goes with not trading in every several years. :grin:

·
Registered
666 Posts
Need to Bring back 2011 Shine Yellow =0)

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I guess we should all sell our K1600s and buy Goldwings or Moto Guzzis or …...
He didn't say that now did he? The fact remains that BMW has had and continues to have problems with their drivetrains and final drives that once again should have been corrected a long time ago. I find it inexcusable that a drivetrain should fail at any mileage under normal use. The design isn't rocket science, but BMW continues to make their drivetrains difficult to do maintenance on which makes no sense to me at all. Perhaps they look at it as planned obsolescence. The 1200LT was a nightmare, I owned one and the K1600 was supposed to have taken care of these issues. Obviously not! And who can ever forget the clutch slave cylinder issue on the 1200LT. Buy a 1200LT and immediately drill a drain hole in your bellhousing just in case.

Rick H.

·
Registered
352 Posts
My wish would be for a K1600GT-Light.

Get rid of the audio system. For me it's needless weight, cost, and complexity. Get rid of some of the plastic. Expose a bit more of that glorious engine, because I never got over the Honda CBX Super Sport. Lighter colors and non-painted wheels wouldn't hurt either.

Fun to speculate, but knowing none of this will happen, I'll just continue to enjoy the heck out of the lovely machine as it is.

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
@st13phil , it's a cost option here in the USA too. But I've only seen 2 bikes in the past 7 years without the radio option.

Duane

·
Registered
510 Posts
Color has always been a “strong” suit of BMW which is why I have painted every one I’ve owned except for my GA. My plan is to replace my GA with an RT when the warranty is up. It should have updated lighting and tft screen by then. I will try to get the body panels just primed.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts