BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:grin:2020 BMW’s Tame the Tail of Dragon (TTD):grin:

BMW K1600's Forum riders, family & friends from across the country will be gathering for the 5th year in a row at the Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge (IHML) from April 29th to May 3rd 2020. Our BMW Motorrad Sponsor is Touring Sport of Greenville, SC.

We Welcome All Experienced Mountain Riders to Join Us!

There is No Registration.
(Like most things: 90% of Life is Just Showing Up.)

Dates: Wensday, April 29th to Sunday, May 3rd 2020
Location: Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge (IHML), Robbinsville, NC ( https://ironhorsenc.com )
Sponsor: Touring Sport of Greenville, SC ( http://www.touringsport.com )
Grand Prize Drawings for Riders & Pillon: High End KLIM Jacket & BMW AllAround Boots (TBA)
Helmets: Required
Motorcycle Rental: https://wolfcreekrentals.us
Motorcycle Tires & Repair: Wheelers Performance ( https://www.wheelersperformance.com )

Group Rides: Spirited, Regular, Couples and Scenic; See the area with a RoadCaptain/ Leader & TailGunner; Most Mountain Riders should consider the Couples or Regular Group Rides. Spirited rides can cover almost 300 miles in a day. To participate in the Group Rides or be Eligible for the Grand Prizes you must fill out a Release. Release forms are available upon arrival or each day prior to the Group Rides.
Food: IHML offers Breakfast & Dinner. If you are staying at the IHML they will E-Mail out a menu for the dinners (usually a week before your arrival). Breakfast preferences are filled out upon arrival. Those not staying at the IHML may eat there if you notify/ E-mail the IHML in advance. Area has some pretty Good Places to Eat & Saturday night Prime Rib at the IHML is Great.

Accommodations: Location Central is the IHML. All Group Rides depart from/ return to the IHML. All TTD Event occur at the IHML.

What accommodation are AVAILABLE/ OPEN AT THE IHML RIGHT as of 1/14/2020!!!

- 2 Conestoga Wagons w/twin beds $145.95/night +tax
- 2 Conestoga Wagons w/king beds $145.95/night +tax
- Big Bear Luxury Cabin (New this Season: DELUX Private Cabin) 2 King Bedrooms, 4 bedrooms w/2 twins. Lots of space in downstairs for blow up beds. $1250.00/night +tax
- 1 Bunkhouse Bed $29.95/night + tax
- 2 RV sites Full Hook Up $50.00/night
- 7 (110 volt) campsites $25.00/ 1 person
Lots of Tent Camping

If you cannot get a reservation at the IHML consider Quality Inn of Robbinsville ( https://www.choicehotels.com/north-carolina/robbinsville/quality-inn-hotels/nc894?source=gyxt ), Phillips Motel ( Phillips Motel Robbinsville North Carolina | Home-style motel in the Smoky Mountains ), Two Wheel Inn ( https://twowheelinn.com ), or Tapoco Lodge ( https://tapoco.com ).

Our event occurs at the same time as the Mini Rally at the Fontana Village ( https://www.minisonthedragon.com ) & the Thunder in Smoky’s in Maggie Valley (1 of 3; https://handlebarcorral.com ).

:bmw:Tentative Schedule for the 2020 TTD:bmw:

-Tuesday, 28th of April 2020: Organizers Arrive
-Wednesday, 29th of April 2020: Organizers Group Ride- Open to All. Recommended Arrival Date!!
-Thursday, 30th of April 2020: Regular & Spirited Group Rides; Tips Rides with Doc at 4 PM; Meet & Greet at 6PM with Free Heineken Keg
-Friday, 1st of May 2020: Spirited (1 & 2), Regular, Couples (1 & 2) and Scenic Group Rides; Evening Events after/ during dinner- Presentation of Gifts to Sponsors; 50/50 (Must be present to Win) & Free Heineken Keg
-Saturday, 2nd of May 2020: Line up Bikes in front of IHML & Participants Photo- 8:30 to 9AM; Spirited (1 & 2), Regular, Couples (1 & 2) and Scenic Group Rides; Evening Events after dinner- Grand Prize Drawing for Riders & Pillions (Release Required/ Must be present to Win) & what is left of the Keg
-Sunday, 3rd May 2020: DEPARTURE

This is a Private Event. Please No Copyrighted Photography!! There is a professional photographer on site but, any & all SD cards of the event are appreciated.

:nono:No Public Drunkenness Allowed!:nono:

All Experienced Mountain Riders are Welcome!!

(Yes, you do not have to be riding a BMW….Yes, the LT Group has gone back to having their Spring Event at the IHML in April?? Will DeadPool make another Appearance at the TTD?? His Agent says- NO! I believe it was because several participants thought he was Spiderman…..)

Yes, we have a "Facebook" page;HTTPS://WWW.FACEBOOK.COM/K1600DG/

See You in the Mountains.

Doc:tb:tb​

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
I am really hopeful nothing gets in the way of me making this trip this year.

I booked that last bunkhouse bed earlier in the week. At $30 a night it just seemed way easier than strapping on the tent and required gear. I wonder who my 3 roommates will be?
For now it looks like I will be solo on this trip coming down from Ontario via route 81 through NY.
If there are any other riders in Ontario or on the path that may be interested in riding together feel free to send me a PM. I am planning on arriving Wednesday.

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am really hopeful nothing gets in the way of me making this trip this year.

I booked that last bunkhouse bed earlier in the week. At $30 a night it just seemed way easier than strapping on the tent and required gear. I wonder who my 3 roommates will be?
For now it looks like I will be solo on this trip coming down from Ontario via route 81 through NY.
If there are any other riders in Ontario or on the path that may be interested in riding together feel free to send me a PM. I am planning on arriving Wednesday.
Duke4,

Glad you are planning to attend. Yes, we have a group of riders that come from Canada & some guys from the New York City area. Hopefully, you will be able to come to the 2020 TTD with some of them? Best,

Doc:tb:tb

·
Premium Member
5,775 Posts
I stayed in the bunk house last year and it worked out great. 2 of the beds had different folks every night. As an FYI at the end of the building is a small laundromat, also there is a door at the back wall of the laundry room that opens into a bathroom. I didn't find this out until the last day after walking all the way to the main bathroom every other day and night. If it's locked that just means someone is using it.

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doc - any chance of getting the ride routes in a .gpx file that we can download into our GPS's? I know one year Kevin did it and it was helpful

That is the plan. qbird66 (Kevin) has been generious enough to provide .gpx files & maps for several years for the TTD. We also provide prinited maps of the Spirited, Regular & Couples ride routes at the event. The Relaxed group is TOO RELAXED to give me a .gpx file or map. Best,

Doc:tb:tb

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update from the IHML on avaliable rooms:

- BIG Bear (Delux) Luxury Cabin- $1,250/ night/ holds 8 to 12 &

- Conestoga Wagon's- $150/ night: King or Two Singles in a wagon; No bathroom or shower

- Camping

Are still not booked.

Best,

Doc(y)(y)

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
I reserved 1 of the RV slots before we left last year but we wont make it this year. I need to “sell” it for the $100 deposit we put down and I will let IHML know who will be using it.
Lemme know if you want it.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
I have an IHML reservation in Rocky Top room 2, a deluxe private room with 2 twin beds or 1 king bed with private bath which I am going to let go to whoever wants it.
Revision 2/25/20: Jim Meinecke has taken over my IHML reservation.

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update:
From the Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge (IHML)-

Just a reminder, if you could let the group members know that the remaining balances for their reservations are due this week. If they would like to call this week, as we will start to automatically charging the cards we have on file on Monday. Hope all is going well and we look forward to seeing you all soon!!!
Thank you,
Kristen IHML

Keep in mind that if you made a reservation at the IHML you were required to place a non-refundable one night stay deposit. All fees for your reservation will be due in the next coming days. All IHML fees are non-refundable. Remember the room now belongs to you. If you decide not to come to the 2020 TTD you can sell your room/ reservation. Yes, the IHML does have a waiting list of folks looking for a room at the IHML.

Best,

Doc (y) (y)

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
2020 TTD

2020 TTD Event Schedule:

Sponsored By

Tuesday- 28th of April; TIPS Rides in Afternoon with Doc
Wednsday- 29th of April: RECOMMENDED ARRIVAL DATE!!; Organizers Ride (All Participants Are Welcome)
Thursday-29th of April: Regular & Spirited Group Rides; MEET & GREET at 4:30 PM
Friday- 1st May:
Scenic, Couples (1 & 2), Regular & Spirited Group Rides; At the IHML- Open FREE HEINEKEN KEG; 50/50 prior to Dinner; Sponsors Gifts & FREE LARGE SPONSOR CAKE for Dessert
Saturday- 2nd May: GROUP PHOTO
at IHML (by 9AM); Scenic, Couples (1 & 2), Regular & Spirited Group Rides;
At the IHML- GRAND PRIZE DRAWING after Dinner for Riders- KLIM JACKET & for Pillons- BMW All Around Boots (Must sign release form & BE PRESENT TO WIN)
Sunday- 3rd May: Departure from IHML

(You must sign a Release and be PRESENT TO WIN the 50/50 or Grand Prizes!!! Winners of the 50/50 &/or Grand prize for the LAST 5 YEARS are INELIGIBLE TO WIN…)

Group Rides:

There will be Four Categories of Group Rides: Scenic, Couples, Regular & Spirited. Weather & traffic permitting the groups will ride Thursday, Friday & Saturday. Releases will be distributed for the Group Rides. Signing the Release Form Enters You for the Grand Prize Drawing for the KLIM Jacket on Saturday Night at the IHML. You do not have to participate in the Group Rides to be eligible for the Grand Prize. You do have to sign a Release Form to have a chance to win the Grand Prize. Data from the Release Forms will not be distributed out to anyone. All group rides depart from the IHML. Time of Departure is TBA by Group Ride Leader but, is usually starts with the Spirited Group at 8:30 AM & finishes with the Scenic Group at 9:30AM.
Do not know which Group Ride to participate in?? Here is a link: Issues from K1600'Tame the Tail of the Dragon #1 . Want to learn more about Mountain Motorcycle Riding?? WE HAVE TIPS RIDES that occur BEFORE THE TTD EVENT.

For those BMW’s Tame the Tail of the Dragon (TTD) participants that plan on staying at another facility/ location but, desire to eat at the Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge-

YES, YOU CAN eat at the IHML.

Yes, normally you cannot eat at the IHML unless you are actually staying there. However we were able to work it out so, if you are staying elsewhere & desire to eat at the IHML all you will have to do is give them an E-mail ( [email protected] ) or call at 828-479-3864. One must be a participant of the 2019 TTD to receive this benefit. Or, just tell them “Doc Sent Me.” The IHML will request your E-Mail/ phone # & send you a Dinner preference sheet for the days you plan to be there for dinner. Fill out the form, return it & you are set.

The IHML will be serving Dinner Tuesday, Wensday, Thursday, Friday & Saturday (Prime Rib).

Breakfast will be served Wensday till Sunday. Pancakes are only available on Sunday. Breakfast requires everyone to initially fill out a breakfast preference sheet on location at the front desk. Specify what you want & which days you plan to be there for breakfast. (Yes, you have to pay for the food, drink, desserts, etc).

?‍☠NO PUBLIC INTOXICATION ALLOWED!!!!?‍☠

?The TTD Is What We Make It To Be.?

:oops:Consider donating something (new or near new) to our 50/50.:oops:

See You in The Mountains,

Doc (y) (y)

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
I would love to attend, but we already have a Caribbean holiday booked in May. BUT, if the world virus panic affects flights, etc, we may be looking for someone's dropped room or just staying as close as possible and doing the best we can with near last minute plans.

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The 2020 TTD is Still ON!!!

I went by, meet & talked with both the IHML & Touring Sports. Both are presently planning on participating and having the 2020 BMW’s Tame the Tail of the Dragon (TTD- BMW's Tame the The Tail of The Dragon 2020 ). Appropriate/ Recommended precautions will be taken/ provided by the IHML. All organizers have confirmed that at the present time they plan on attending.

You can cancel your room & loose your one night stay deposit up to 30 days before your scheduled arrival at the IHML. Contact them by E-Mail & phone.

Hopefully, this virus will leave us all alone for the 2020 TTD.

We all know the concerns. Please!!! Unless you have something positive to say then, say/ post nothing

FYI: The BMW Motorcycle Demo Truck/ Open House will be at TS this coming Friday & Saturday ( BMW Demo Truck/Open House )

Best,

Doc (y)(y)

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
The 2020 TTD is Still ON!!!

Hopefully, this virus will leave us all alone for the 2020 TTD.
Sorry, but hope is not a plan Doc. The CDC are advising against all gatherings of more than 50 people for the next 8 weeks.

The only defense we have against this virus is social distancing. Especially important for those of us who have partners, close relatives or friends with challenged immune systems.

This article was shared with me over the weekend. It is long and has a lot of detailed information. It is “blame free” and non-political relying heavily on published, public data. It does not bode well for what we shall see here in the US.

It shows that total containment is currently the only effective tool in preventing the spread of the virus. If our leaders will not set the standards for total containment, then we only have the option of self-containment.

Coronavirus: Why You Must Act Now

Andy :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry, but hope is not a plan Doc. The CDC are advising against all gatherings of more than 50 people for the next 8 weeks.

The only defense we have against this virus is social distancing. Especially important for those of us who have partners, close relatives or friends with challenged immune systems.

This article was shared with me over the weekend. It is long and has a lot of detailed information. It is “blame free” and non-political relying heavily on published, public data. It does not bode well for what we shall see here in the US.

It shows that total containment is currently the only effective tool in preventing the spread of the virus. If our leaders will not set the standards for total containment, then we only have the option of self-containment.

Coronavirus: Why You Must Act Now

Andy :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Agreed!! Have to go with what the government recommends.

Presently, NC has not shut down the IHML. If they don't some plan to attend.

Maybe get to see you again in 2021??

Best,

Doc :oops: :oops:

1 - 20 of 76 Posts