BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
As things stand now, Marie and I won't be there. The latest DoD travel restrictions for active duty allow me to only take leave in the local area until 11 May. SO - I will likely be ditching our reservation 30 days out since I don't think we'll be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel on this by then, and I won't have any indication on DoD's likelihood of lifting those restrictions in time.
:cheers:

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
Yesterday, we pulled the plug on our wedding for May 3rd--pretty sure there will just be more restrictions in the coming couple of months. Things are going to be different for awhile.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
As the severity and reality of this situation sets in, it's looking more and more like this TTD event will be an impossible dream....... Especially for the Canadians. The Canadian and US announced a mutual decision today that the border is closed for all non essential travel. I would think that will last well beyond the dates for this event. Even if they were to open up, the travel insurance companies will be extremely careful on this. They won't agree to provide insurance again until the risk is near zero and that could be months from now.

·
Registered
56 Posts
FYI, IHML has changed their policy on cancellations. They will no longer give a refund, but instead give a credit to be used by the end of the year. New ownership means new rules. I'm not sure if the thirty day notice is required to receive a credit or not.

·
Registered
524 Posts
They saw this coming and just got a head start!
Yeah really! The Huddle House closed last year and what was told to me was that ALL of the employees just walked out one night, left the door unlocked, lights on and then nobody was home! The owner must have been a real prick!

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
FYI, IHML has changed their policy on cancellations. They will no longer give a refund, but instead give a credit to be used by the end of the year. New ownership means new rules. I'm not sure if the thirty day notice is required to receive a credit or not.

The policy’s for cancellation of reservations at the IHML are the same that were presented when your reservation confirmation E-Mail was sent to you for consideration:

• A non-refundable deposit of one nights stay is required to make a reservation.
  • Reservations within 60 days of arrival require a non-refundable payment for the entire stay.
  • The IHML is allowing those that cancel reservations in April to reschedule for another/ other date(s) pending availability at the facility.
This is the IHML present cancellation policy. Do not know if these policies will change as state federal mandates occur during this pandemic. All I know is that All my Surgeries are CANCELLED.

Best,
😫😫Doc🥵🥵

·
Registered
52 Posts
While our event is still 5 weeks away, this is the current executive order by the NC Governor. Not sure how IHML is dealing with this for food service. I guess a potential to turn the corner if we all isolate for 2-3 more weeks.

Governor Roy Cooper announced that North Carolina restaurants and bars will be closed to sit-down service and limited to take-out or delivery orders starting at 5 pm tonight, March 17, 2020. Grocery stores, gas stations, and convenience stores, are exempt from this order and will remain open, though they may not serve sit-down food.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Well just read a letter from the State of NC regarding Graham County North Carolina (Dragon, Cherohala Skyway Hwy 28......pretty much ALL of Western North Carolina) and they are closing the roads and highways due to the virus. It also affects ALL of the campgrounds, motels, hotels, lodges and such. Not sure how long that will last but you can Google it.

As a result of the countywide declaration of emergency Graham County Government has established an Emergency Mangement Committee. This committee has met this morning and the following decisions have been made and will be put into play over the coming days.
A) Effective Monday, March 23,2020 all accomodation businesses shall close for business at 12:00 noon. Accomodations defined are hotels, motels, cabins, bed and breakfasts, campgrounds, or any public rental facility that typically rents for less than one month.
B) By Friday, March 27, 2020 the following highways will be closed or have restricted access. 1) Cherohala Skyway will be closed to all traffic 2) Highways US 129 and NC 28 at Deals Gap will be restricted to local resident traffic and commercial traffic 3) US 129 at Topton will be restricted to pass through detour traffic, commercial traffic, and local resident traffic only. Once the US 74 detour is ended then US 129 will be restricted to local traffic and commercial traffic only. 4) NC Highway 28 going east from Stecoah will be restricted to local and detour traffic only and commercial traffic. Once the detour is ended NC 28 will be restricted to local and commercial traffic only. Persons travelling these highways should be prepared to show a Graham County address or proof of property ownership for non-residents to be able to enter Graham County.
We understand that this decision will impact a lot of people. It wlll cause people to be temporarily laid off from work. We will post information on how to file for unemployment benefits on the Graham County website. We accept that these are drastic steps to some degree but we have to do what is necessary to keep people safe. The President of the United States has asked everyone to stay home and eliminate unneccessary travel. We support that decision.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Here's a link to the story and details.

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
Well...dang.

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
The IHML has not been required to shut down?? The 2020 TTD is Still On!!

We have been communicating with the Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge (IHML) staff, the new owners and their plans weekly. The cancellation policies of the IHML have been confirmed and has not changed. The IHMl is allowing those that cannot attend the 2020 TTD to E-Mail or call to re-schedule their reservation for the IHML 2020 season pending availability.

Doc,
As of now this is where we stand, that may change in the days to come. In the event it does they will be given the option to use their reservations later in the 2020 season individually or the group will be able to change to different dates in the 2020 season.
Thanks,
Kristen(IHML)

The IHML has not been shut down. Fees payed are Non-Refundable to participants. Rescheduling dates given for a latter/ postponed TTD are unacceptable/ not good for the organizers nor the BMW sponsor. We are very large group. So, the 2020 TTD will not be rescheduled. No, the IHML will not honor our current reservations for a 2021 TTD.

3/23/2020
DOC
THANKS FOR YOUR EMAIL
AT I.H.M.L. WE ARE MONITORING ALL THE SOURCES AVAILABLE TO US CONCERNING THE CURRENT ISSUES TO DATE
IT IS CLEAR THINGS ARE CHANGING FROM DAY TO DAY
WE WILL BE MAKING THE NECESSARY CHANGES (IF ANY)
TO ANY AND ALL POLICIES IF AND WHEN THESE CHANGES ARE NEEDED
I HAVE A COPY OF THE LINK YOU SENT ME ;
HOWEVER AFTER A LITTLE INVESTIGATION;
OUR LAWYERS FOUND THAT GRAHAM COUNTY DOES NOT HAVE THE PROPER LEGAL TOOLS IN PLACE TO ISSUE THIS RESTRICTION
OR ENFORCE IT
AT I.H.M.L. OUR GREATEST CONCERN HAS ALWAYS BEEN AND STILL REMAINS THE SAFETY OF OUR GUESTS
AND WE WILL ACT ACCORDINGLY TO ENSURE THEIR SAFETY AND PROVIDE THEM WITH THE INDIVIDUAL EXPERIENCES THEY REQUEST AND HAVE COME TO EXPECT FROM OUR STAFF IN ONE OF THE SAFEST ENVIRONMENTS IN THE COUNTRY.
TO ISSUE ANY POSTS OR STATEMENTS AT THIS TIME WOULD BE PREMATURE, VERY IRRESPONSIBLE AND WITHOUT
ANY MERIT BECAUSE WE DO NOT HAVE ANY DEFINITE DIRECTION AT THIS TIME.
WE ONLY HAVE A SITUATION THAT IS ON THE VERGE OF PANIC;
SET ON BY THE MEDIA AND POLITICIANS TRYING TO GET PRESS FROM THE WHOLE THING.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT
LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU SOON
ALL THE BEST TO YOU AND YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY

JERRY GOSS
(IHML OWNER)

Fortunately, we have several attorneys that are participants at the TTD (GTLen, JR3, my personal attorney, etc.). In summary this is what they have communicated to me:

It is possible that if we cancel the 2020 TTD event individuals that have reservations could lose all funds. “It’s up to the individuals to go, reschedule, or cancel regardless of whether the 2020 TTD takes place (from JR3- Attorney from AL)”.

What is the answer/ solution to the 2020 TTD:

1.Keep your reservation & go to the 2020 TTD at the IHML if they are open.
2.Call and cancel before your scheduled arrival date. At that time seriously consider rescheduling latter in 2020 pending availability or loose all funds. The reservation is still yours and can be utilized or sold.
3.Wait & see if the IHML is forced to close by the government or dose so on their own accord. This decision legally could require them to eventually give participants a refund. However, it is more likely that a rescheduled visit would be offered. Yes, we a closely monitoring this issue.

“Under these circumstances, while everyone must make their own choices, we suggest that the best course of action would be to wait to see wether the IHML will, itself, cancel or be forced by the law or otherwise cancel. If, as the date of the event approaches, the IHML continues both to have the right and intent to honor our reservations, one can cancel then in favor of a rescheduled visit at the IHMl during their 2020 season pending availability (from GTLen- Attorney from NY)”.

All Please Stay Safe & Healthy.
Best,
Doc 🥵 🥵

·
Premium Member
2,114 Posts
It makes sense to be patient and see how this plays out.
I want to come and as long as the border is open and it is prudent I will come.
I would be fine with rescheduling my reservation to come down later if the border is still closed.

·
Registered
273 Posts
What time do the rides start each day? I’m a measly 3xx miles south and have been known to ride up to the Dragon, right around all day, and then ride home. Remember we have a very comfortable and capable ride.

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
What time do the rides start each day? I’m a measly 3xx miles south and have been known to ride up to the Dragon, right around all day, and then ride home. Remember we have a very comfortable and capable ride.
All group rides depart from the IHML. Each group leader determines departure times which usually start at 8:30 (Spirited) and end with Relaxed group (9:30 AM). Maps & gpx files of the routes by group are usually put out before the event. Best,

Doc (y) (y)

21 - 40 of 76 Posts