BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So simple question which i cant really find any answers for. Other then customization's lets say you just purchase both bikes bare

Why is the GTL more expensive? Is it only because the Panniers come over? Otherwise the equipment is the same.

And on another note now since the buttons are now in (BLACK) are they Backlit?
Because, Thanks BMW for kickin us in the groin. We complain about backlits, and they say F.U.... because I opened my mouth up were now making them space black so now the new adventure is feeling whos in my mouth, lol.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
I think the price difference is purely a ploy by BMW to buy market share from HD. I doubt there is significant cost difference in manufacturing the GT/GTL/B/GA. There is no "new" market in big touring motorcycles so BMW are going after HD's cruiser market with the B and GA.

BMW, like all manufacturers, understand that once they have a rider on their brand, they are much more likely to stay with the brand (even without backlit buttons ;)).

·
Registered
661 Posts
No rhyme or reason. Mfr will charge whatever the market will bear.

The Ninja 1000 I just bought has the same basical mechanicals as the Versys 1000, which MSRP's for darn near 50% higher $$. Somehow, being able to sit up straight is worth a tall wad of cash. Why leave money on the table?

·
Registered
466 Posts
I was trying to figure that our myself a while back. It's like $2200 to $4900 difference.

When looking at it, I noticed two things:

1. You can add about $2600 of chrome to the B/GA.

2. If engine protection bars are added outside of a package, they are $480 if buying B or GTL Engine Protection Bars, verses only $378 for GT Engine Protection Bars. I am pretty sure they are same bars.

And on another note now since the buttons are now in (BLACK) are they Backlit?
Of course they aren't back lit. I read on this site that it wasn't needed nor possible. I can tell you that when I was cold and tired a few months ago, I was looking for my **** rain mode, and hit every button on both sides before finding it. Of course I am new to this bike - only have had two and over 100K miles on them, so I am sure it is just me.?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I am happy mine are Grey and not black at least its now more visible sorta.

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
No rhyme or reason. Mfr will charge whatever the market will bear.

The Ninja 1000 I just bought has the same basical mechanicals as the Versys 1000, which MSRP's for darn near 50% higher $$. Somehow, being able to sit up straight is worth a tall wad of cash. Why leave money on the table?
But usually, a vehicle sold as “sporty” will almost always get a higher price tag, regardless if production cost is the same or even less expensive than the “luxury” model of the same vehicle, unless the lux model comes with more equipment.

The GT costs less than the GTL, but not comparably equipped. Put a box with a smaller and less expensive pad on it, and even though the GTL has bigger bars, larger pegs for rider and passenger, the chrome trim, etc., which the GT does not, the GT sells for more money, if optioned the same.

But you’re 100% right. It’s always about what the market will bear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts