BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2020 TTD Update

Just got back from the IHML. Jerry the new owner continues to make major improvements. They have acquired several adjacent properties. Here is an Update:

- The Lake next door is Now Stocked with over 6,000 bass & brim. Fishing will be open to all. You get to keep the fish.

- There are 4 NEW RV Slots available. Someone has already taken one slot so 3 are now OPEN.

- There are 4 New Conestoga Wagon type locations to stay. 2 have 2 Queens & 2 have single Kings. These units have electricity, A/C, refrigerator, etc. but no bathrooms/ showers. Occupants would use the facilities shower/ bathrooms.
These Conestoga units are OPEN & ready to be reserved.

Yes, they are well insulated.

- The NEW LUXURY CABIN is now completed.
This unit will easily hold 10 to 12 & up to 23.
The LUXURY CABIN is impressive
…… price is $1,200/ night.
Maybe GTLen & the guys from NY are interested???

- The New Bunkhouse has not been installed yet but, is planned to be available for our event. The plan is for a New mobile home to be installed as the bunkhouse next to the lake.

- Otherwise, for the 2020 TTD the rest of the IHML is Completely Booked. Room reservation become the property of the individual making the reservations & do not have to be returned to the IHML for distribution. So, there is NO WAITING LIST. Transactions for changing reservation need to be between the seller, purchaser & the IHML. After Thanksgiving the facility will be closed so communication with the IHML will be limited. Consider contacting by E-Mail at [email protected] &/ or [email protected] .

Yes, the IHML & Touring Sport of Greenville, SC have agreed to be Sponsors for the event which is from Thursday, the April 30th til Sunday, the 3rd of May.
The 2020 TTD schedule should be very similar to the 2019 TTD.
Plan for Arrival on the 29th of April, Wensday with a Departure on Sunday the 3rd of May 2020.
Allot of us will be coming Tuesday for a Organizer ride on Wensday.

See You in the Mountains,

Doc:tb:tb

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm going to plan a trip for this event. With IH sold out and a wife who just can't stay in a covered wagon (lol). What's the next best place to be close to other GTL riders? I need to make reservations ASAP. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad y'all are planning to attend. Here is an old post that should be of assistance:

Pura Vida,

You are correct. It is better to stay at the event site. Get on the waiting list? There are however several places in the area you may find an acceptable place to stay. Here are a few;

Two Wheel Inn: Two Wheel Inn Resort 828-479-4248 ? Accommodations for you and your motorcycle, Located on US129, south of Robbinsville NC near the Tail of the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway.
Phillips Motel: Phillips Motel Robbinsville North Carolina | Home-style motel in the Smoky Mountains
Tapaco Lodge: https://tapoco.com
Quality Inn Robbinsville: https://www.choicehotels.com/north-carolina/robbinsville/quality-inn-hotels/nc894

There are many other places in the area to stay. You can even rent a cabin. Keep in mind the MINI Cooper Rally ( https://www.minisonthedragon.com) is also occurring the weekend the BMW K1600’s gather. They center is at the Fontana Village. Thunder in the Smokey’s ( https://handlebarcorral.com/springrally/) is having a rally in Maggie Valley.

Hope this is of assistance.

Best,

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Thanks for the intel, Doc!! Just inquired about one of the new RV spots. Hope to rent a Class A and test one out before making a purchase. :grin:

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
I would be interested in taking a bed in the luxury cabin if there is a group of folks that might be looking to rent it and looking for a room mate.

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
What is 2020 TTD?

·
Premium Member
2,227 Posts
What is 2020 TTD?

It is a K1600 rally type of event held first week of May. The 2020 TTD will be our sixth year. Many of us have been to all of them.

We ride. We socialize. We eat great food at the Iron Horse. I really enjoy going. For me it is the kick off of riding season.

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
It is a K1600 rally type of event held first week of May. The 2020 TTD will be our sixth year. Many of us have been to all of them.

We ride. We socialize. We eat great food at the Iron Horse. I really enjoy going. For me it is the kick off of riding season.

So...a K1600 Forum based event. IHML is Iron Horse Motor Lodge???

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ended up renting a nice little cabin. A friend of mine who rides a HD Street Glide is going with us. He's super worried that he won't be allowed to ride with the BMW group because he's on a hog and is worried he won't be able to keep up. I told him not to worry and that no one expects him to keep up, lol. He's a lot on the cautions side (probably too cautious) and as difficult to ride with even when I was riding an Ultra Classic. While I'm looking forward to this trip, it's also likely to drive me nuts. Great friend and fun person but it's an effort to ride with him.

·
Premium Member
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
2020 ttd

Ended up renting a nice little cabin. A friend of mine who rides a HD Street Glide is going with us. He's super worried that he won't be allowed to ride with the BMW group because he's on a hog and is worried he won't be able to keep up. I told him not to worry and that no one expects him to keep up, lol. He's a lot on the cautions side (probably too cautious) and as difficult to ride with even when I was riding an Ultra Classic. While I'm looking forward to this trip, it's also likely to drive me nuts. Great friend and fun person but it's an effort to ride with him.

Glad y'all are planning to attend. Do not worry too much about your friend. We have lots of folks on other types of bikes besides BMW's. There is also a Riding Group that should fit his style. We call them the Scenic Group. The Scenic Group will have riding routes on Friday & Saturday. There will also be TIPS rides on Tuesday & Wensday Afternoons for those not real Familiar with Mountain Riding. Look foward to meeting you. Best,

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Glad y'all are planning to attend. Do not worry too much about your friend. We have lots of folks on other types of bikes besides BMW's. There is also a Riding Group that should fit his style. We call them the Scenic Group. The Scenic Group will have riding routes on Friday & Saturday. There will also be TIPS rides on Tuesday & Wensday Afternoons for those not real Familiar with Mountain Riding. Look foward to meeting you. Best,

You're such a kindhearted man, Doc...

·
Premium Member
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You're such a kindhearted man, Doc...
Thank You…. THANK YOUuuu VERYYY MUCHHHhhhh!!!

Our Fantastic Volunteer Group Leaders & TailGunners will provide memorable rides throughout this wonderful area….

:nerd:Remember… :nerd:

:grin:RIDE YOUR OWN RIDE!!! RIDE YOUR OWN PACE!!:grin:

>:)RACING IS FOR THE TRACK!!!!>:)

Best,

(If you miss this Spring Event… Your Nuts!!)

·
Premium Member
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What accommodation are AVAILABLE/ OPEN AT THE IHML RIGHT as of 1/14/2020!!!

- 2 Conestoga Wagons w/twin beds $145.95/night +tax
- 2 Conestoga Wagons w/king beds $145.95/night +tax
- Big Bear Luxury Cabin (New this Season: DELUX Private Cabin) 2 King Bedrooms, 4 bedrooms w/2 twins. Lots of space in downstairs for blow up beds. $1250.00/night +tax
- 1 Bunkhouse Bed $29.95/night + tax
- 2 RV sites Full Hook Up $50.00/night
- 7 (110 volt) campsites $25.00/ 1 person
- Lots of Tent Camping

Best,

·
Premium Member
1,197 Posts
When you get old and retire, you get to press the REPEAT button for times you enjoy! So, as long as the twin grandkids we have arriving in March/April are happy and healthy at home with Mum and Dad, Grandpa is going for another three week ride from mid April that should end up at the TTD, just like I did in 2019!

First weekend, I'll enjoy the twisties in the Ozarks of north western Arkansas. Second weekend, I'll enjoy the twisties around Suches and Wolf Pen Gap (and of course the BBQ at Jim's Smokin' Que) in northern Georgia! So the rubber may be a bit thin by the time I arrive in Stecoah.

Because I want to keep my plans flexible, I'll be camping at IHML.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts