BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not seen or heard anything for a while, but it must be on a lot of peoples minds and it's kind of getting to the time of year for press releases for the new MY - anyone know what's happening with the 2021 model and the euro 5 emissions?

·
International Man of Mystery
3,611 Posts
Still muddy waters as to 2021 Euro 5 models. After long discussions with the dealer I ordered one of the last bikes from the 2020 production run to be delivered in 2 weeks from now. I have the impression that BMW will not make a 2021 EU5 bike and use a derogation period maybe up to mid 2021 to make a decision on the K1600 line while legally selling Euro 4 models. Anyway, I ordered it with all the bells and whistles and it will be my final edition K1600, which will be #4.

·
Upside Down
2,034 Posts
ViennaK, Congratulations I would think you made the right move is they do make Euro 5 I am sure there will be less power but they may be able to tweak the torque to give it lower to mid-range over the horsepower side.

·
Premium Member
2,324 Posts
I think a supercharger would help raise compliance. #I’dWantOne

Reactions: HOGSLYR and Geoff_3

·
Registered
453 Posts
Still muddy waters as to 2021 Euro 5 models. After long discussions with the dealer I ordered one of the last bikes from the 2020 production run to be delivered in 2 weeks from now. I have the impression that BMW will not make a 2021 EU5 bike and use a derogation period maybe up to mid 2021 to make a decision on the K1600 line while legally selling Euro 4 models. Anyway, I ordered it with all the bells and whistles and it will be my final edition K1600, which will be #4.
I think we are in the grace period now? Euro 5 came in this year with a years grace period. No Euro 4s Can be sold in Europe after Dec 31st this year.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
I think we are in the grace period now? Euro 5 came in this year with a years grace period. No Euro 4s Can be sold in Europe after Dec 31st this year.
The derogation time starts after Dec. 31. The same chain of events occurred when Euro 4 was implemented. The derogation period was one year (from Dec. 31).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Registered
927 Posts
@K1600Belco is right, at least as far as Europe is concerned - can't speak for the US regs. There is always the chance that the EU will extend derogation briefly in the light of Covid-19, but nothing announced as yet. Here is the industry comment .........

(

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
@K1600Belco is right, at least as far as Europe is concerned - can't speak for the US regs. There is always the chance that the EU will extend derogation briefly in the light of Covid-19, but nothing announced as yet. Here is the industry comment .........

(

This is a long article, but near the end it does state a fact that the Euro 4 derogation period was TWO years. If that happens again, we could see a 2021 K1600 w/out Euro 5 standards.

Will find out soon.

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can now see why I posted this - there is very little info out there and my belief is that in the EU it will no longer be possible to sell "new" euro 4 bikes after Dec 31st 2020, which to me would mean a raft of pre registered bikes to shift the existing stocks if they have not sold it due to covids impact?

Personally I was hoping for a mild refresh to include euro 5 along with an update of the dashboard and lowering of the bike overall to aid slow handling in traffic and car parks. I guess we just have to wait and see :censored:

·
Registered
453 Posts
You can now see why I posted this - there is very little info out there and my belief is that in the EU it will no longer be possible to sell "new" euro 4 bikes after Dec 31st 2020, which to me would mean a raft of pre registered bikes to shift the existing stocks if they have not sold it due to covids impact?

Personally I was hoping for a mild refresh to include euro 5 along with an update of the dashboard and lowering of the bike overall to aid slow handling in traffic and car parks. I guess we just have to wait and see :censored:
I was wondering as well. There has been some BMW press releases showing a K16GT with radar for automatic cruise control etc, but nothing else. Like you say, maybe some good deals at the end of the year on most Euro4 bikes.

·
Registered
453 Posts

This is a long article, but near the end it does state a fact that the Euro 4 derogation period was TWO years. If that happens again, we could see a 2021 K1600 w/out Euro 5 standards.

Will find out soon.

All Euro4 bike need to be pre-registered at the end of this year, so look out for bargains.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Anything new on this subject?

·
Registered
3 Posts
My dealer here in the flagship store here in Berlin said that new models will perhaps be introduced in September 2021, which would make them 2022 models. They seem to be selling EURO4 models as 2021 models in the US and Australia, but these are unchanged from the 2020 models. I was afraid they would scrap the 6 cylinder entirely forever due to EURO5, but I have been assured that that is not the case.

The crew at BMW were not able to finish the design and testing of a new EURO 5 conformable motor in time for the 2021 season, most likely due to the pandemic. They will revamp the entire K1600 line-up for 2022, since this has remained almost the same since its introduction in 2011.

Some guesses: it will most likely have a very large TFT screen with navigation and maps and some radar features, wireless charging compartment just like on the new 2021 RT. I think they will also scrap the Xenon lighting and go for a full-LED headlamps. Maybe they can scrap off a few kilograms of weight to bring it sub-300kg.

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
My dealer here in the flagship store here in Berlin said that new models will perhaps be introduced in September 2021, which would make them 2022 models. They seem to be selling EURO4 models as 2021 models in the US and Australia, but these are unchanged from the 2020 models. I was afraid they would scrap the 6 cylinder entirely forever due to EURO5, but I have been assured that that is not the case.

The crew at BMW were not able to finish the design and testing of a new EURO 5 conformable motor in time for the 2021 season, most likely due to the pandemic. They will revamp the entire K1600 line-up for 2022, since this has remained almost the same since its introduction in 2011.

Some guesses: it will most likely have a very large TFT screen with navigation and maps and some radar features, wireless charging compartment just like on the new 2021 RT. I think they will also scrap the Xenon lighting and go for a full-LED headlamps. Maybe they can scrap off a few kilograms of weight to bring it sub-300kg.
Not to mention sort out the unbelievably bad and inexcusable audio system, the Left Pull, Oil Consumption and one or two other niggles. That said I won't hold my breath. BMW seem to have their own way of doing things that doesn't involve customers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts