BMW K1600 Forum banner

2022 Bren Tune Observations

9K views 44 replies 16 participants last post by  RedCard 
#1 · (Edited)
I thought I would record my observations of the Bren Tune on the 2022 version of the 1600 beastie. For those of you who give a hoot, or are just curious. I'm no expert, but I do like to tinker. While I was once elbow deep in a clutch replacement, my wife asked if I liked working on my bike better, or riding it.

For those who don't know, I've had a 2014 GTL and a 2018 GT before the 2022 B. I'm trying to think back, I honestly can't remember if I tuned the 2014. When I first test rode the 2018, I instantly felt something was amiss with the power. We all came to learn about the infamous throttle lag during those years. Dark times were they. The Bren Tune corrected the misgivings of the 2018 for sure, and that engine needed it.

Now for the 2022. I've had the big girl for a month or so now. I've got about 1200 miles on her. There is no throttle lag. And the torque and HP is more than sufficient. It's also the smoothest feeling of the otherwise smooth engine. I bet most 2022 owners won't feel the need for a tune. They'll be perfectly happy with this new version of the 1600, as they should be. There is no need to tune this engine.

I've done the first service, and I've added the Akra slip-on exhaust. I felt no difference with the Akra exhaust, and I didn't expect to. Their dyno charts show a miniscule increase in torque and HP. It must be too small for me to notice. (I bought the exhaust mostly to shed those chrome bazookas.)

Yesterday I applied the Bren Tune, and today was test day. First off, I expected no difference at all, just like with the exhaust. The first thing I noticed is the lack of high RPMs at startup. My cars do this as well. I read it's an emissions thing, to get the cats warmed up to operating temp quicker. Well, no more high RPM.

Then I noticed is a quieter engine. I still wonder if this is my imagination. Edit: It was wishful thinking. After several rides the clacking returns when the engine is nice and warm. I'm noticing it below 2700 RPM.

Next up is the power. While it is slight, I think I felt better passing torque in the 3500-5000 RPM range. As well as smoother spin up from the real low range, 1500+. All in all, this smooth engine is a little bit smoother, IMHO.

So, is the Bren Tune worth it? For most people I would say no. (Sorry Chris). The 2022 engine is top notch. Spend the money elsewhere. But I'm a tinkerer. I do a little sumtin to all my vehicles. My car is dual turbo 620hp from the factory, and I had to boost that. Plus my cost for the Bren was $295 because I already had the handheld device from previous tunes. No this was inevitable for me.

Hope this helps someone with their decision.

See less See more
#2 ·
I thought I would record my observations of the Bren Tune on the 2022 version of the 1600 beastie. For those of you who give a hoot, or are just curious. I'm no expert, but I do like to tinker. While I was once elbow deep in a clutch replacement, my wife asked if I liked working on my bike better, or riding it.

For those who don't know, I've had a 2014 GTL and a 2018 GT before the 2022 B. I'm trying to think back, I honestly can't remember if I tuned the 2014. When I first test rode the 2018, I instantly felt something was amiss with the power. We all came to learn about the infamous throttle lag during those years. Dark times were they. The Bren Tune corrected the misgivings of the 2018 for sure, and that engine needed it.

Now for the 2022. I've had the big girl for a month or so now. I've got about 1200 miles on her. There is no throttle lag. And the torque and HP is more than sufficient. It's also the smoothest feeling of the otherwise smooth engine. I bet most 2022 owners won't feel the need for a tune. They'll be perfectly happy with this new version of the 1600, as they should be. There is no need to tune this engine.

I've done the first service, and I've added the Akra slip-on exhaust. I felt no difference with the Akra exhaust, and I didn't expect to. Their dyno charts show a miniscule increase in torque and HP. It must be too small for me to notice. (I bought the exhaust mostly to shed those chrome bazookas.)

Yesterday I applied the Bren Tune, and today was test day. First off, I expected no difference at all, just like with the exhaust. The first thing I noticed is the lack of high RPMs at startup. My cars do this as well. I read it's an emissions thing, to get the cats warmed up to operating temp quicker. Well, no more high RPM.

Then I noticed is a quieter engine. I still wonder if this is my imagination. I let the engine warm up and kept my ears on it for hours today. Let me explain, we all know about the familiar rhythm of the valves, especially at low RPMs. This engine would click click away, with a rhythmic clacking to enhance the sound. (Clacking is louder than clicking. At least it is in the states where we pronounce our "a" with our throats wide open. The Brits may need a different audio analogy. Ha.) While the "clicking" remains, all I can say is it sounds like that louder "clack" is gone. My imagination?

Next up is the power. While it is slight, I think I felt better passing torque in the 3500-5000 RPM range. As well as smoother spin up from the real low range, 1500+. All in all, this smooth engine is a little bit smoother, IMHO.

So, is the Bren Tune worth it? For most people I would say no. (Sorry Chris). The 2022 engine is top notch. Spend the money elsewhere. But I'm a tinkerer. I do a little sumtin to all my vehicles. My car is dual turbo 620hp from the factory, and I had to boost that. Plus my cost for the Bren was $295 because I already had the handheld device from previous tunes. No this was inevitable for me.

Hope this helps someone with their decision.
Thanks for the your detailed feedback. Did you notice any difference in engine brake when you let go the gas? The 2021 has quite some engine brake and not sure if this is something the tuning changes.

#3 · (Edited)
I rode an early one massive hole circa 2k rpm, improved on the later bikes post 2016, 2022 LCD dash bikes get major power and torque changes in line with need to meet euro 5 emission regs - two more cat sensors and they wound up the ignition curve with improved knock detection = more torque and slightly more top end grunt 1000 rpm lower (with same cyl head and cams)

so an adaption bodge up (stretching the manu built in adjustments) and fixing them closer to the edge, would pep the bike up a bit. But this is not and has never been remapping - and this can only go as far as the manu adaption area took the bike. If emission regs / other needed tweaks need to go futher fixing the disaster map the manus build, then this type of change isn't the right way forward.... woolich racing have taken on how to get at BMW ECUs and the madness of their engine maps in the last year, so the world could be about to provide the correct way to do it for the K1600 if we ask them

BMW ECU Flashing

Features available when doing it the correct way
  • TPS Fuel Maps
  • Ignition Timing Maps
  • Electronic Throttle Valve (ETV) Maps
  • Exhaust Valve Opening Maps
  • Adjust RPM Limiter
  • Adjust Fan Temperature
  • Disable Stock O2 Sensor
  • Disable Deceleration Fuel Cut
  • Disable Exhaust Valve
  • Disable PAIR Valve / AIS

May 2022 engine maps

BMW
2019-2022 S1000RR : 5F161B0000-5F191B0002
2019-2021 S1000RR : 5F161E0000-5F1F1E0000
2017-2018 S1000RR : 304F_018_000_000-41CD_018_000_001
2016-2019 S1000XR : 304F_013_000_000-3C01_013_000_000
2020-2021 S1000XR : 5F161B0000-5F211B0002
2019-2021 R 1250 GS : 5EF8160000-5EF9160000
2017-2020 R nine T : 3838_010_000_001-42F9_010_000_001
2019-2021 R 1250 GS : 5EF8190000-7534190000
2019-2021 R 1250 GS : 5EF8190000-7534190000
2017-2020 R nineT : 3838_010_000_001-41B0_010_000_001
2017-2020 R nineT : 3838_010_000_001-41B0_010_000_001
2021-2022 R nineT : 5EF8190000-77A6190000
2017-2018 S1000RR : 304F_010_000_001-5D65_010_000_003
2020-2021 S1000XR : 5F16130014-5F22130014
2020-2021 S1000XR : 5F161B0000-5F221B0003
2014-2015 S1000XR : 0D30160000-280F160000
2020-2021 S1000XR : 5F161E0000-5F211E0000

#5 ·
its not me, its well known world renowned bods that win races - but they only started getting at BMWs recently - they had ignored probably the biggest market and revenuse stream avaiable to them - which would suggest they are more in to playing with bikes than making money

the knock detection changes of the new 2022 k1600 and the fact they can now get far better emissions control, ecomony and much more grunt at lower revs by writing the correct ignition curve makes you wonder what the **** BMW have been doing for 11 yeas !!!

#6 ·
the knock detection changes of the new 2022 k1600 and the fact they can now get far better emissions control, ecomony and much more grunt at lower revs by writing the correct ignition curve makes you wonder what the **** BMW have been doing for 11 yeas !!!
It's easy to make the accusation that a motor manufacturer has produced and deployed sub-optimal engine mapping (and this isn't a defence of BMW, as all manufacturers do it), but they have to produce a product that deals with the lowest common denominator situation that exists in terms of fuel quality, altitude variations, operating temperature variations and so forth plus questions of reliability and longevity. They also have to guarantee being the right side of emissions limits in different global territories, otherwise they are subject to severe sanctions (anyone from VW group like to comment on that?).

Something else that is often not understood is the burden of (re-)testing and (re-)certification that is required when certain changes are made to engine operating characteristics and in particular any components critical to emissions control. My guess is that is the root reason why BMW chose to somewhat neuter the performance of K1600's to meet Euro 4 by comparison to what they did to get it through Euro 5. In short, it's not as simple as adding knock sensors and changing the ignition curve.

OEM's don't always get it right in the eyes of the more demanding consumer, but aftermarket remappers don't have the same constraints on them.

#8 ·
manufacturers are supposed to adhere to emission regs
unless it's a german car and then the rules don't apply for 5 years / and or EPA go looking
its a demo bike and they put on a special map
or its a german press release bike and they put on a special map + a two week holiday in a nice hotel if the journalist agrees to say its base price in all reviews - knowing full well they where riding one with 10k worth of options

#9 ·
Thanks for the info. I'm probably the guy that does not need a Bren Tune. I bought a 2022 GTL in May. I have only test ridden a K1600 a few years ago and now the new GTL. I cannot say what throttle responses are with other K1600s but I've been around bikes most of my life and I can say that I don't notice any throttle lag on my GTL. As far as performance, it has more than I will probably ever need or want. I will say that I rode in the rain yesterday on my way to South Dakota from Austin, TX, and I took it out of Dynamic mode and put it into rain mode. I could tell the difference immediately, and I ended up putting it back into Dynamic mode. I'm not sure what Bren Tune does to the modes, but for me, I prefer Dynamic mode. The 2022 is supposed to make its maximum torque and hp about a thousand rpm less than previous years, and that was something that I thought was more suited to my riding style, although I have no problem letting the ponies out of the barn so to speak. I was used to the torque of my 2002 Honda 1800 VTX, but if you give the K bike a few rpms, it will take off like crazy, and I can't say that I feel it is lacking at all compared to my VTX I used to ride. Thanks again for the review.

#10 ·
I was looking last night at parts and I can't find a knock sensor on the pre 2022 K1600.... if true that would be shocking - nearly all models had one for many years and you basically need one - changes to knock detection / and ignition curve are what got more grunt at lower revs on the new model

these all use the same "ping sensor"

#11 ·
@botus , you couldn't find a part number for pre-2022 K1600 knock sensors because there never was one.

Duane

Reactions: botus
#12 ·
That's insane - so they put one on virtually every other bike then built a flagship and saved 7pence by leaving out a vital bit of kit - which would allow the engine to cope with odd conditions, odd fuel and odd riding

wow so a bit of programming by a gown up and probably plugging in a sensor and we can all get 2022 mapping level of emissions and performance

#13 ·
Interesting that you have an opinion on every aspect of engineering of motorcycle engines.
The original design of the K1600 was done by Ricardo engineering based on the 4 cylinder engine that they conceptuallly designed years earlier. The K1600 was a big, lazy and dumb engine with little or no need to have knock sensors employed to manage the engine. If you have evidence to prove that a wrong statement, please bring it forward.

#18 ·
BMW measures the crankshaft speed. They can detect a minute change in crankshaft speed during rotation. They determine that it is preignition and the ECU adjusts fuel, timing etc. So that is how they adapt to spark knock.

#19 · (Edited)
Yes, and these incremental wheels have a limited resolution determined by the maximum number of impulses per crank revolution. HD for many year employed a Delphi designed system that measured the electrical resistance in the coil-spark plug- combustion chamber circuit as pinging (knocking in serious cases) produces an anomaly in the resistance (ion sensing) which is used to trigger timing adjustments. Knock sensors, incremental wheels and ion sensing have their pros and cons and are tailored to the specific application. As I am not an automotive engineer, not even an electrical engineer, I believe that the BMW/Ricardo engineers exactly knew why they were applying either method. BTW it could very well be that BMW uses both signals from the knock sensors and the incremental wheel in the latest models.
For further read see attachments

Attachments

#21 · (Edited)
I think I found an addition to my ignore list right behind SRT8.

#22 ·
I just finished tuning and testing my 22b just like the op I had a tuner from a previous 2020 xr1000 295 bucks...smoother and quieter.. with the removed limiter(not like you need it)...im curious how the mileage will vary.. doesnt take long to empty a tank on this monster...other than that..not much noticeable difference...just because bmw did pretty well on their own...I do like the fans coming on earlier as to not heat soak as bad

#28 ·
@Quik , have you ever ridden an earlier model year K bike? Your posts/expectations make me think you haven't and you may be asking more of your Bagger than it can produce. Strongly suggest you try to ride/compare a pre-'16 and a '17-'21. I'm very happy with the torque curve on my '12 GT. I'm able to do most passing from 2k rpm on. If you're looking for stump pulling power off idle then you're not going to find it with any 6 cylinder motorcycle.

Duane

#29 ·
I’ve ridden a 2018 1600B is the only other K bike. Not looking for stump pulling power, just want the throttle lag/laziness cleared up. I can blip my throttle and it doesn’t respond or when it does it’s laggy, it was the same on the 2018. It is very soft and lethargic until it gets turned up passed 5k, not looking for a rocket ship but it just seems softer on the bottom than it should be putting out 133 ft lbs of torque.

#30 ·
@Quik , good luck. I hope you find resolution.

Duane

#35 ·
Installed the tune tonight on my 22B, first thing noticed is the annoying high rpm cold start is gone, I’m very happy about this. Throttle lag is gone and blipping the throttle is instant and super smooth now. I didn’t get to ride much tonight but the bike feels like it’s been uncorked in the low rpm range which is another big plus. It is very noticeable. I will get some miles on it and let it settle in but so far I’m very happy with it.

#40 ·
Thanks!
Did you do step 1 and 2?
Did you see acceleration improvments in low speed?
I get my 22B in april, cant wait :)
Are you overall happy with the bike?
Some problems?
Thanks Alain for your reply.
I currently have stage 1. Low rpm performance was the most noticeable difference, and I don’t necessarily mean it’s so much faster, it just removed the corked up feeling from my bike. When stock it had what I would call a lazy throttle and low rpms seemed stifled out a bit, the tune took care of that. In my opinion after about 5,500 rpms there is not really any difference in stock and Bren but most of my riding is below that mark so that’s a good thing. My bike developed an engine knock before the 600 mile break in, dealer wasn’t too concerned so I’ve kept riding, it’s got around 5k miles now and has gotten louder, they said they will reevaluate at the 6k service. It’s under warranty for 7 years so I will keep riding it until they say stop or it self implodes, then they can fix it. There have been multiple reports of 2022’s having the entire engine replaced for this so yeah, that sucks but I still love the bike and I’m not gonna change the way I ride it one bit.

#45 ·
Hey @Black Bird. No issues regarding fitment at all. There were no changes to the '22+ that would require any design change on their part.

The only issue i have is that the kickstand sometimes taps the heat shield when you retract it. I put some tape around that spot on the stand to avoid marring the heat shield. I don't even think about it now.

Here's a search of my comments on the exhaust.

Reactions: Gunnert
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.