BMW K1600 Forum banner

2022 Grand America

7K views 39 replies 25 participants last post by  Grizzly 
#1 · (Edited)
I introduced myself in the new member forum, but I’m a former 2012 K1600GT owner along with S1000RR’s and many other bikes. I’m seriously considering a new Grand America. As with many, my final two contenders are the GA and a new Goldwing DCT Tour. I have ridden a K1600B and really liked it, but it was during a BMW demo day so not a perfect read. Between the two, the BMW always appeals to me more but that GW was a really nice bike! And it looks pretty sexy these days. That said the only thing that’s pushing me to consider the Wing vs the GA is the alleged high instability of the Grand America. It almost seems impossible that a bike as gorgeous and well thought out as the GA suffers from instability but it has been discussed more than a little. Can any owners weigh in and give me the straight? It would be greatly appreciated!

#2 ·
I introduced myself in the new member forum, but I’m a former 2012 K1600GT owner along with S1000RR’s and many other bikes. I’m seriously considering a new Grand America. As with many, my final two contenders are the GA and a new Goldwing DCT Tour. I have ridden a K1600B and really liked it, but it was during a BMW demo day so not a perfect read. Between the two, the BMW always appeals to me more but that GW was a really nice bike! And it looks pretty sexy these days. That said the only thing that’s pushing me to consider the Wing vs the GA is the alleged high instability of the Grand America. It almost seems impossible that a bike as gorgeous and well thought out as the GA outdoor suffer from instability but it has been discussed more than a little. Can any owners weigh in and give menthe straight? It would be greatly appreciated!
I previously owner a 2019 GW Tour DCT and traded it for a 2018 GA. Your right about the instability, especially behind big trucks. On the other hand, the Wing is rock solid. The main reason I went back to a K1600, had a 2013 GTL before the Wing, was the fun factor. I cannot say anything bad about the Wing. If the K1600 was more stable, it would be about as perfect for me as can be.

#3 ·
Thats really a shame. When I tested the 1600B I was taken by how much better the newer model 1600s transmission, quick shifter and overall smoothness of the inline 6 was. Much more refined than my 12 GT. Im really disappointed that a bike of the caliber and type of the GA would suffer from instability..that’s the very thing it should excel at. And I understand your fun factor comment..my 16GT was a really fun bike. Thanks so much for your input.

#4 ·
Might want to check prior posts here. Went through similar dilemma that lasted just a few days, and several test rides. Goldwing hands down. The K16's, and especially the GA, enjoys high speed instability, costly + frequent factory required maintenance, lack of dealership infrastructure, myriad recalls, high cost + poor availability of parts, component failures (think coils, and keep going from there) all to enjoy marginally better speed, performance, and handling. For that money, were one so inclined, just get some testosterone cream, and apply once a day. Problem solved, and you can pocket tens of thousands. Oh, reminds me. Forgot to mention the precipitous depreciation to say nothing of difficulty in re-sale unless uber low miles, or covered by warranty.

My 2015 Goldwing has just crossed into six digits on the odo, and the only expenses have been gas, oil changes, brake pads, and fresh Dunlop E4's every 12,000 - 15,000 miles or so. No recalls. No failures. No problems. Nothing. Purrs like a kitten, and rock solid well past 105. But not much fun one supposes. This from someone who was a Beemer guy going back to the '70's. Love those airheads!

#6 ·
Might want to check prior posts here. Went through similar dilemma that lasted just a few days, and several test rides. Goldwing hands down. The K16's, and especially the GA, enjoys high speed instability, costly + frequent factory required maintenance, lack of dealership infrastructure, myriad recalls, high cost + poor availability of parts, component failures (think coils, and keep going from there) all to enjoy marginally better speed, performance, and handling. For that money, were one so inclined, just get some testosterone cream, and apply once a day. Problem solved, and you can pocket tens of thousands. Oh, reminds me. Forgot to mention the precipitous depreciation to say nothing of difficulty in re-sale unless uber low miles, or covered by warranty.

My 2015 Goldwing has just crossed into six digits on the odo, and the only expenses have been gas, oil changes, brake pads, and fresh Dunlop E4's every 12,000 - 15,000 miles or so. No recalls. No failures. No problems. Nothing. Purrs like a kitten, and rock solid well past 105. But not much fun one supposes. This from someone who was a Beemer guy going back to the '70's. Love those airheads!
Thank you for the feedback. So did you own a Grand America?

#5 ·
It does have that problem intermittently, but has not caused me concern, where I deemed the bike unsafe. It is an issue to consider, but for me the G.A. is overall very desirable, still after it 3 years of ownership. I do not tour but have driven through many high wind alleys.

#8 ·
I've posted about this on several threads. I came from the GL world. I've owned pretty much every model with the exception of the last one. When it came time to get into a big bike again, I naturally went to look and test ride a GL but I'd always liked the way the B looked so I went to try them out. In short, yes they have a bit of a weave on occasion. It's a "quirk" the B and the GA have in dirty air. It's never really bad enough for you to lose control, but it can be an annoyance during windy days. High traffic exacerbates the problem. You'll read quite a few comments that mention trailers as being the culprit. In reality, any heavy traffic combined with unstable air will cause the issue. It's not only at high speeds either, it can happen anywhere from 50 to 150 MPH. Once you get used to it's a non-issue. The decision is going to be on your type of riding. If you're a mile muncher doing long days on the interstate, the GL is your bike. HOWEVER, if you like venturing out on curvy roads, mountainous or flat, the K is a way superior bike. I was surprised by how beautifully the bike maneuvered and how fast I could ride during my first curvy mountain ride on a road that I was very familiar with and have been on countless times on my wings and Valkyries. The B just left me speechless at how good it corners and comes out of corners and .... It's just an amazing bike is all I can say. I've been a convert for going on 2 years now and have not regretted it one bit. But again, it's going to depend on your style of riding. I have a need for speed as well as long-distance comfort. The K1600 satisfies that need. Good luck with your quest.

#9 ·
X 2 on all of it above, I ride with a few guys different bikes ( like we all do ) they cant believe how the bike handles, you need to set it up right and they are great fun. I rode a GW 2 weeks ago (yawn) couldn't wait to get off the thing, to boring for me.
Dirty Air can be annoying sometimes, but never a issue to ever worry me. It seems dirty air from Trucks and Vans is the cause, never a issue in just car traffic. Windy days its like most bikes.

#11 ·
It is the reason BMW put a 105mph speed limiter on the GA. They don't want to get sued. They know the bike has high speed stability problems. Call it dirty air, or justify it as a handling quirk. Many blame the top case. Others say it's the floorboards. Maybe let's ask BMW since corporations do things only for a compelling reason.

#12 ·
I've never ridden the GA or B but my 2014 GT and 2016 GTLE was rock solid and stable at any speed. On windy days the top case does have a tendency to catch wind but that's also true on my GSA and any other bike with a top case and every bike I've ridden acted a bit unstable when I came up behind a large vehicle so the solution is easy to whip around and it and continue on your journey. Between both of my K16's I didn't experience any mechanical issues, maintenance costs weren't any worse than any other bike and all bikes have recalls. The Honda without a doubt is a fine machine but doesn't come close to the K16 in terms of handling and performance. Dealer network can be an issue depending on where you live and I'd be hesitant to buy a bike if I didn't have a dependable dealership within easy riding distance. One thing we always have to consider is you always hear folks complaining and they have a right to complain but you don't hear from the 1000's of guys who don't have anything to complain about because they're out riding. Whatever you decide I don't believe you can go wrong with either the GW or BMW so you're in a win win situation.

#13 ·
I've written on this before: In early 2020 I was considering a 18'+GW a 16'+GTL and an 18'+GA ... we chose the Grand America, a 19'. It was the best balance of features, functions, power, handling, comfort, etc. The GW is more stable but has less personality. The GA is a bit 'twitchy' on the highway, but this makes it easier to turn quickly in the twisties. My wife also felt it was more connected to the road, like on rails, vs. the Goldwing. I've never felt unsafe on the bike (even with the recently built Dog Trailer - see other posting). I've had the bike up to 100 (I'm not admitting to any illegal activity), and up to 80 with the trailer.

My advice, drive both, with and without passenger (if that's how you ride) and the winner will rise to the top. Good luck and enjoy.

Reactions: J-Luv
#15 ·
Brand new member here as I've just put deposit on a new GA (w/ 719) and faced the same dilemma as the OP.
IMVHO, there is no wrong choice between the two -- only a less-perfect choice for any individual based on that person's true preference.

I cannot wait for the new bike. And if I'd ordered the GW, I'd be excited as well. Coming from an old Yamaha Venture, either bike would be a very dramatic upgrade but I think the very real challenge in today's environment is that we're needing to decide without actually being able to ride the bike, given inventory & supply chain delays. Pre-covid this would be heresy. I even thought of finding people with used bikes for sale and test riding theirs under guise of buying, but that just feels slimy. I test rode a used RT at the dealer just to get a feel for the BMW motor itself and was thrilled with that so I took the leap. Maybe I'll regret it but I seriously doubt it. Every time I looked at the Wing I'd think "Nice, but..." and every time I looked at the GA I thought "Oh, yes indeed..." and in the end that was what made me order.

I'm 57 and FWIW I decided I just wanted this sport/fun/performance factor on the GA offering over the quiet stability and maybe the DCT on the Wing (which I find interesting someday but not sure I'd love right now). My dad has always ridden a Wing and truthfully that was a factor too in choosing the K instead, lol - but maybe 10-15 years down the road a Wing will be my 'final bike' when I am ready to accept my own limitations and choose differently for different reasons. In the meantime, I want the max performance that I believe the K delivers over any lux tourer out there - but everyone has to really heed the advice I've seen so many times about looking inward and deciding what is right for you, not anyone else's opinion. Especially since test rides are unavailable, because that really would be the best way to settle it for oneself.

Yet with all the chatter about 'instability' which is what the OP asked about, yes it gave me hesitation. That said, I also have very little intent of riding behind tractor trailers on any bike, and certainly not at 85+mph. Now to John's point, it IS the internet so a grain of salt may be warranted BUT even the most avid GA riders seem to acknowledge some flutter in dirty air, and there IS the limiter. So there's one input to a decision. So is look, feel, room, options, handling, motor performance, DCT, and a myriad of other factors even including color options that will sway us one way or the other. To each their own but in the end I guess I'll always wonder what I'd choose if I could just ride one and then the other for an hour.

#17 ·
Thanks everyone for your thoughtful comments. I should reiterate that I owned a K1600GT for 4 years and 35000 miles. It was never the most stable bike on poor roads, busy freeways, or windy days. It didn’t track as well as my Concours 14 or Harley Roadglide but I DID get used to it and never felt unsafe. What it did better than any touring bike I have ridden was handle through the twisties. I did have a detachable BMW top case on it and I “think” it was less squirrelly with it removed. So my point is that I’m aware of the inherent characteristics of the modern K bikes and accepting of them. I’m also used to the thrilling and intoxicating performance of the motor and unreal handling as opposed to the new experience new owners are having. If one has never ridden a motorcycle of this caliber it might be easy to accept any flaws while being so infatuated with its performance.
That is why I’m so interested to understand if the Grand America has handling and stability characteristics significantly different from my former K1600GT. On the surface evidence seems to support that it does. However if it’s the same light front end feel of the K1600GT that for me is not a worry.

#24 ·
I have around 3000M on clock, Is does feel little instability at Highway speed from dirty wind , and if u take your hand off around 35-50mph while slowing down handle bar does shake but not affect the bike still go straight (1+bag preload set up, Road) Is best to keep it at Road, 1+ passenger more stiff preload. I feel like it could have add more stiff preload. Hoping the new one is better.

#25 ·
I had a 2019 GA. It was a blast in the twisties although I’m not really an aggressive rider. For straight out touring it definitely likes to dance around and on the highway between trucks going 70 mph it definitely was hopping around. I didn’t feel unsafe but I also didn’t think a bike of that caliber should be that jittery. I tried different tires, shields, air deflectors, etc. On one long ride I switched bikes with my friend and when his Harley felt more stable I knew I wanted to try something else. I now have a 21 GW DCT. I love the DCT more than I ever expected. In sport mode there is more power than I’ll ever need and I typically keep it in tour mode. It isn’t as nimble as the GA but for a big touring bike it is still much more nimble than any Harley or Indian I’ve ever owned. I miss the GA. It’s a great bike. But I also don’t regret my decision. I guess it depends on what kind of riding you do. If all my riding was on mountain roads I’d get a GA. But I still do a lot of straight road 70-80 mph stretches and I like the stability of the GW.

#26 ·
I have a 2022 GA. Speed restricted to 100 mph.
It tops out at 167 km/h so I guess its the way it is.
Anyway it is MUCH more stable @ 100 mph than my old Bagger was at the same speed.
I have not felt any "wobbliness" at speed at all (unless behind a big truck/rig).

#30 ·
I have a 2022 GA. Speed restricted to 100 mph.
It tops out at 167 km/h so I guess its the way it is.
Anyway it is MUCH more stable @ 100 mph than my old Bagger was at the same speed.
I have not felt any "wobbliness" at speed at all (unless behind a big truck/rig).
That's the new suspension, as I anticipated. As I found out during a test ride of a 2022 GTL, it is much improved over the previous generations - it finally fits the precision and elegance of the bike . Still not as good as my Wilbers :) , but surprisingly good considering it's OEM.

#27 ·
I own a 2019 KGA, it does like to dance a bit in dirty air, but my GTL did as well. I'm not sure if it's due to front end design or the top box, but never felt unsafe on either one. A little bit of jitter seems to freak some folks out, but like I said, I never feel unsafe, even at 140 mph

#28 ·
I really hate to post this but the 2018 Grand America I just rode was worse and than I anticipated in regards to stability. At speeds over 70 it was very nervous and jittery. I’ve not felt anything quite like it on a motorcycle before and as I’ve mentioned I owned a K1600 GT for 35000 miles. It had a bit of a wondering problem but nothing like this. I’m actually a bit shocked as I write this. Granted it was an 18 with 19000 miles on it, and maybe that is where the complaints stem from, and all of this has been resolved since, but it seems there are still some complaints on the newer bikes. At first I didn’t buy that Motoradd limited the bike to 105 because of this issue. Now I do. I would not feel comfortable riding this bike at those speeds. I actually find it very sad that BMW doesn’t find this unacceptable. I also don’t see how any seasoned rider who rides this bike would find the behavior acceptable. Weird.
I wanted to like this bike and I’m disappointed in my findings. I really hope that the newer bikes are significantly improved for current and future owners and I really don’t mean to disparage the bike or their owners.

#29 ·
I really hate to post this but the 2018 Grand America I just rode was worse and than I anticipated in regards to stability. At speeds over 70 it was very nervous and jittery. I’ve not felt anything quite like it on a motorcycle before and as I’ve mentioned I owned a K1600 GT for 35000 miles. It had a bit of a wondering problem but nothing like this. I’m actually a bit shocked as I write this. Granted it was an 18 with 19000 miles on it, and maybe that is where the complaints stem from, and all of this has been resolved since, but it seems there are still some complaints on the newer bikes. At first I didn’t buy that Motoradd limited the bike to 105 because of this issue. Now I do. I would not feel comfortable riding this bike at those speeds. I actually find it very sad that BMW doesn’t find this unacceptable. I also don’t see how any seasoned rider who rides this bike would find the behavior acceptable. Weird.
I wanted to like this bike and I’m disappointed in my findings. I really hope that the newer bikes are significantly improved for current and future owners and I really don’t mean to disparage the bike or their owners.
Thanks for sharing; this is great input info and now I have to think quickly and critically about taking delivery on the bike. And maybe get myself a test ride on a Wing, or consider something else. Super helpful.

#31 ·
The GA is definitely the one to avoid. I was going to get one instead of a GTL until I read the warning sticker in the case and the manual.

Maybe worth checking the latest manual to see if it's uprated. But 2018 is 130km/h which is max 81mph
Camera lens Camera accessory Camera Cameras & optics Font

#32 ·
The GA is definitely the one to avoid. I was going to get one instead of a GTL until I read the warning sticker in the case and the manual.

Maybe worth checking the latest manual to see if it's uprated. But 2018 is 130km/h which is max 81mph
View attachment 166422
Wow. That is truly unbelievable. A premium Sport Touring motorcycle with recommended speed rating of 81mph🤔😒. But now that I’ve ridden it, it makes total sense.

#33 ·
I won’t dive in too deep as everyone has covered a lot of it but I have a 2020 GA and had some of the stability issues mentioned. I guess I “paid” my way out of them, I swapped out the stock tires for a set of Michelin Pilot Road 6 GTs, JRock windshield with vent and 90% of it went away (trucks or traffic). I also rode HD touring bikes for 20 years and wanted something different, bought a 2108 GW Tour (water cooled, tired of all heat from Harleys). GW was at BMW place after 2500 miles as it didn’t move the emotional needle, ride was smooth as glass, had power and handled well but just didn’t make me turn and look at it when I walked away and didn’t put a smile on my face everytime I took it for a ride. If I only rode interstate 400-500 miles a day 6 months a year GW would probably be the one, but that’s not how I ride. So I think it all comes down to what moves you and how you ride. But know there are things you can do to lesson the “wiggle”. I also put on a Sargent seat with backrest, all day comfort

#35 ·
I have a 2018 K1600B GA,I have not had any unusual instability compared to other touring bikes. I think you just need to go do some testing and see what is right for you. You will want to bring someone to sit on the back as well. For me the GA provides a sporty ride as well as a touring experience. I just put on the Push FDP topbox removal kit and noticed a difference in wind handling, but I would expect that with nothing to stop the wind. As a side note, the best thing I did was put on the Brentuing Stage 1 which makes a bid difference in gear shifting and power. Its a beast.

#39 ·
Not sure my opinion is worth even 2 cents. But as a previous GW owner, at 6'4, that bike was atrociously uncomfortable. I couldn't ride more than 100 miles without wanting to get off. I loved the bike. Wanted to love it more, but I moved on to other bikes since. Never in my wildest dreams/nightmares would I have thought I'd own a BMW. MY 22' GA has been the most comfortable bike I have ever owned. That includes the GW, Kawasaki Voyager 1700, Triumph Rocket III Touring, and many others. The "dirty air" thing, might be a thing, but I haven't sensed any real issues. The front feels super light and maybe that has something to do with it, but I have never felt anything that caused me concern. It's taken me 40 years to find a comfortable bike. Finally happy!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.