BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The 2022s have a very different suspension - much better quality compared to the previous gen. And 20k miles the OEM suspension on your test bike may be even worse.
In my case, a suspension upgrade (Wilbers), on my 17+ GT, has made the most difference in terms of high speed stability.
Just thought I would throw in a different angle on the whole stability issue - you might want to take the test results from tomorrow with a grain of salt.
Gotcha..makes sense. I’ll be sure to consider that. I may try to go straight to the GW I demo‘d for a back to back.

·
Registered
K1600 GA, R18, R1200GSA LC, R ninet, Super tenere1200, Honda Monkey125, Burgman 650
108 Posts
I have around 3000M on clock, Is does feel little instability at Highway speed from dirty wind , and if u take your hand off around 35-50mph while slowing down handle bar does shake but not affect the bike still go straight (1+bag preload set up, Road) Is best to keep it at Road, 1+ passenger more stiff preload. I feel like it could have add more stiff preload. Hoping the new one is better.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had a 2019 GA. It was a blast in the twisties although I’m not really an aggressive rider. For straight out touring it definitely likes to dance around and on the highway between trucks going 70 mph it definitely was hopping around. I didn’t feel unsafe but I also didn’t think a bike of that caliber should be that jittery. I tried different tires, shields, air deflectors, etc. On one long ride I switched bikes with my friend and when his Harley felt more stable I knew I wanted to try something else. I now have a 21 GW DCT. I love the DCT more than I ever expected. In sport mode there is more power than I’ll ever need and I typically keep it in tour mode. It isn’t as nimble as the GA but for a big touring bike it is still much more nimble than any Harley or Indian I’ve ever owned. I miss the GA. It’s a great bike. But I also don’t regret my decision. I guess it depends on what kind of riding you do. If all my riding was on mountain roads I’d get a GA. But I still do a lot of straight road 70-80 mph stretches and I like the stability of the GW.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
I have a 2022 GA. Speed restricted to 100 mph.
It tops out at 167 km/h so I guess its the way it is.
Anyway it is MUCH more stable @ 100 mph than my old Bagger was at the same speed.
I have not felt any "wobbliness" at speed at all (unless behind a big truck/rig).

·
Registered
139 Posts
I own a 2019 KGA, it does like to dance a bit in dirty air, but my GTL did as well. I'm not sure if it's due to front end design or the top box, but never felt unsafe on either one. A little bit of jitter seems to freak some folks out, but like I said, I never feel unsafe, even at 140 mph

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I really hate to post this but the 2018 Grand America I just rode was worse and than I anticipated in regards to stability. At speeds over 70 it was very nervous and jittery. I’ve not felt anything quite like it on a motorcycle before and as I’ve mentioned I owned a K1600 GT for 35000 miles. It had a bit of a wondering problem but nothing like this. I’m actually a bit shocked as I write this. Granted it was an 18 with 19000 miles on it, and maybe that is where the complaints stem from, and all of this has been resolved since, but it seems there are still some complaints on the newer bikes. At first I didn’t buy that Motoradd limited the bike to 105 because of this issue. Now I do. I would not feel comfortable riding this bike at those speeds. I actually find it very sad that BMW doesn’t find this unacceptable. I also don’t see how any seasoned rider who rides this bike would find the behavior acceptable. Weird.
I wanted to like this bike and I’m disappointed in my findings. I really hope that the newer bikes are significantly improved for current and future owners and I really don’t mean to disparage the bike or their owners.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I really hate to post this but the 2018 Grand America I just rode was worse and than I anticipated in regards to stability. At speeds over 70 it was very nervous and jittery. I’ve not felt anything quite like it on a motorcycle before and as I’ve mentioned I owned a K1600 GT for 35000 miles. It had a bit of a wondering problem but nothing like this. I’m actually a bit shocked as I write this. Granted it was an 18 with 19000 miles on it, and maybe that is where the complaints stem from, and all of this has been resolved since, but it seems there are still some complaints on the newer bikes. At first I didn’t buy that Motoradd limited the bike to 105 because of this issue. Now I do. I would not feel comfortable riding this bike at those speeds. I actually find it very sad that BMW doesn’t find this unacceptable. I also don’t see how any seasoned rider who rides this bike would find the behavior acceptable. Weird.
I wanted to like this bike and I’m disappointed in my findings. I really hope that the newer bikes are significantly improved for current and future owners and I really don’t mean to disparage the bike or their owners.
Thanks for sharing; this is great input info and now I have to think quickly and critically about taking delivery on the bike. And maybe get myself a test ride on a Wing, or consider something else. Super helpful.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have a 2022 GA. Speed restricted to 100 mph.
It tops out at 167 km/h so I guess its the way it is.
Anyway it is MUCH more stable @ 100 mph than my old Bagger was at the same speed.
I have not felt any "wobbliness" at speed at all (unless behind a big truck/rig).
That's the new suspension, as I anticipated. As I found out during a test ride of a 2022 GTL, it is much improved over the previous generations - it finally fits the precision and elegance of the bike . Still not as good as my Wilbers :) , but surprisingly good considering it's OEM.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
The GA is definitely the one to avoid. I was going to get one instead of a GTL until I read the warning sticker in the case and the manual.

Maybe worth checking the latest manual to see if it's uprated. But 2018 is 130km/h which is max 81mph
Camera lens Camera accessory Camera Cameras & optics Font

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
The GA is definitely the one to avoid. I was going to get one instead of a GTL until I read the warning sticker in the case and the manual.

Maybe worth checking the latest manual to see if it's uprated. But 2018 is 130km/h which is max 81mph
View attachment 166422
Wow. That is truly unbelievable. A premium Sport Touring motorcycle with recommended speed rating of 81mph🤔😒. But now that I’ve ridden it, it makes total sense.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I won’t dive in too deep as everyone has covered a lot of it but I have a 2020 GA and had some of the stability issues mentioned. I guess I “paid” my way out of them, I swapped out the stock tires for a set of Michelin Pilot Road 6 GTs, JRock windshield with vent and 90% of it went away (trucks or traffic). I also rode HD touring bikes for 20 years and wanted something different, bought a 2108 GW Tour (water cooled, tired of all heat from Harleys). GW was at BMW place after 2500 miles as it didn’t move the emotional needle, ride was smooth as glass, had power and handled well but just didn’t make me turn and look at it when I walked away and didn’t put a smile on my face everytime I took it for a ride. If I only rode interstate 400-500 miles a day 6 months a year GW would probably be the one, but that’s not how I ride. So I think it all comes down to what moves you and how you ride. But know there are things you can do to lesson the “wiggle”. I also put on a Sargent seat with backrest, all day comfort

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've posted about this on several threads. I came from the GL world. I've owned pretty much every model with the exception of the last one. When it came time to get into a big bike again, I naturally went to look and test ride a GL but I'd always liked the way the B looked so I went to try them out. In short, yes they have a bit of a weave on occasion. It's a "quirk" the B and the GA have in dirty air. It's never really bad enough for you to lose control, but it can be an annoyance during windy days. High traffic exacerbates the problem. You'll read quite a few comments that mention trailers as being the culprit. In reality, any heavy traffic combined with unstable air will cause the issue. It's not only at high speeds either, it can happen anywhere from 50 to 150 MPH. Once you get used to it's a non-issue. The decision is going to be on your type of riding. If you're a mile muncher doing long days on the interstate, the GL is your bike. HOWEVER, if you like venturing out on curvy roads, mountainous or flat, the K is a way superior bike. I was surprised by how beautifully the bike maneuvered and how fast I could ride during my first curvy mountain ride on a road that I was very familiar with and have been on countless times on my wings and Valkyries. The B just left me speechless at how good it corners and comes out of corners and .... It's just an amazing bike is all I can say. I've been a convert for going on 2 years now and have not regretted it one bit. But again, it's going to depend on your style of riding. I have a need for speed as well as long-distance comfort. The K1600 satisfies that need. Good luck with your quest.
Fully agree with this response. IMO, describing the GA
I've posted about this on several threads. I came from the GL world. I've owned pretty much every model with the exception of the last one. When it came time to get into a big bike again, I naturally went to look and test ride a GL but I'd always liked the way the B looked so I went to try them out. In short, yes they have a bit of a weave on occasion. It's a "quirk" the B and the GA have in dirty air. It's never really bad enough for you to lose control, but it can be an annoyance during windy days. High traffic exacerbates the problem. You'll read quite a few comments that mention trailers as being the culprit. In reality, any heavy traffic combined with unstable air will cause the issue. It's not only at high speeds either, it can happen anywhere from 50 to 150 MPH. Once you get used to it's a non-issue. The decision is going to be on your type of riding. If you're a mile muncher doing long days on the interstate, the GL is your bike. HOWEVER, if you like venturing out on curvy roads, mountainous or flat, the K is a way superior bike. I was surprised by how beautifully the bike maneuvered and how fast I could ride during my first curvy mountain ride on a road that I was very familiar with and have been on countless times on my wings and Valkyries. The B just left me speechless at how good it corners and comes out of corners and .... It's just an amazing bike is all I can say. I've been a convert for going on 2 years now and have not regretted it one bit. But again, it's going to depend on your style of riding. I have a need for speed as well as long-distance comfort. The K1600 satisfies that need. Good luck with your quest.
Fully agree. Using "instability" to describe the GA is an overstatement IMO. To me "instability" implies unsafe, which is not the case.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 2018 K1600B GA,I have not had any unusual instability compared to other touring bikes. I think you just need to go do some testing and see what is right for you. You will want to bring someone to sit on the back as well. For me the GA provides a sporty ride as well as a touring experience. I just put on the Push FDP topbox removal kit and noticed a difference in wind handling, but I would expect that with nothing to stop the wind. As a side note, the best thing I did was put on the Brentuing Stage 1 which makes a bid difference in gear shifting and power. Its a beast.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts