BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I promise I searched this entire forum first!
It seems that the 2022 models are rolling out now and there is very little information anywhere on aftermarket options for my ’22 GA.
I am in California so we have regulatory issues that other states don’t have. I have two dealerships nearby and both said that they cannot condone, sell, or install any aftermarket slipon exhausts (ie Remus or Akra) due to EPA laws. This is weird because I am coming from HD, which also has EPA regulatory concerns but are fine with installing slipons. Anyway, both BMW dealerships told me to buy aftermarket slipons elsewhere and find a non-BMW shop to install. To be clear, I am not talking about removing the cats or putting on a full system….just slipons!

next I turned to Revzilla, Cycle Gear, etc, etc.: Everyone is saying that neither Remus nor Akra have any offerings for the ‘22. Does anyone know if this is true?

·
Premium Member
2,058 Posts
The cats are on the stock headers. You cannot get aftermarket headers shipped to CA.

Have you tried to have the slip-ons shipped here? I bought mine second hand so I didn't test those waters.

I'm sure the manufacturers just haven't fit a test bike yet. My '22 with Akras fitted.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
The cats are on the stock headers. You cannot get aftermarket headers shipped to CA.

Have you tried to have the slip-ons shipped here? I bought mine second hand so I didn't test those waters.

I'm sure the manufacturers just haven't fit a test bike yet. My '22 with Akras fitted.

View attachment 166975
I shipped the Remus headers and slip ons to my sister in Vegas then had UPS pick it up from her front porch and ship to me. All she had to do was tape my UPS label over the other. She never even had to touch the box (though she still bitched about it..)

·
Premium Member
2,058 Posts
I shipped the Remus headers and slip ons to my sister in Vegas then had UPS pick it up from her front porch and ship to me. All she had to do was tape my UPS label over the other. She never even had to touch the box (though she still bitched about it..)
Do you know if they would have shipped the slip-ons alone?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have a set of Remus waiting (in my garage) to be installed on my '22 K1600B - more to follow in the next week.

I communicated directly with Remus and Akrapovic. Remus says they are waiting for a K1600B '22 bike they can "use/borrow" in order to created an updated, EUR5 version of their exhaust.

Akrapovic said they would have something ready in late May (but I haven't seen anything yet).

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
I have a set of Remus waiting (in my garage) to be installed on my '22 K1600B - more to follow in the next week.

I communicated directly with Remus and Akrapovic. Remus says they are waiting for a K1600B '22 bike they can "use/borrow" in order to created an updated, EUR5 version of their exhaust.

Akrapovic said they would have something ready in late May (but I haven't seen anything yet).

I am swapping the Remus headers and slip ons from my 19 to the 22 (23) and had my dealer check to make sure it would work which he did.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just put a set of Akrapovic on my 2022 K1600GA from RevZilla. They shipped to CA directly. They dont quite sound like the ones I had on my K1600GTL in 2017 ... working on seeing what thats about ...

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
210 Posts
Do they sound better/worse? More like stock?

I installed my Remus last week and they sound great, but were hard to install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Craig95123

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi guys!
Awesome stuff! I love the look of the Remus. How do they sound?
Looks like you both have the 2022 k. I have the exact same, brand new, bike. I've spoken with 2 BMW dealerships in town, Revzilla, and local shops and cannot get a straight answer on whether our 2022 bikes have the same fitting at the pipe as recent older models. I ask because I can buy pipes online but the sites (ie revzilla) show no availability specific to the 2022. customer service also does not know. Where did you guys buy your pipes?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey loWell,
who installed your pipes?
do you have a model or part #?
Remus keeps telling me they don't have a pipe for the '22. So I am assuming you used a pipe that was fit to a '20 or '21?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hey loWell,
Remus keeps telling me they don't have a pipe for the '22. So I am assuming you used a pipe that was fit to a '20 or '21?
Sorry - I have a 2018 so not sure if there are differences. I was commenting mostly to share the experience of having to ship outside of CA (even though they don't alter any emissions equipment).

Sent from my SM-F926U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hey loWell,
I'm in San Diego and use Dave Campbell at DCMW Motorcycle Service of San Diego for all my service. He's very knowledgeable and has been great. Family-owned shop that specializes in BMW bikes.

Sent from my SM-F926U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hi guys!
Awesome stuff! I love the look of the Remus. How do they sound?
Looks like you both have the 2022 k. I have the exact same, brand new, bike. I've spoken with 2 BMW dealerships in town, Revzilla, and local shops and cannot get a straight answer on whether our 2022 bikes have the same fitting at the pipe as recent older models. I ask because I can buy pipes online but the sites (ie revzilla) show no availability specific to the 2022. customer service also does not know. Where did you guys buy your pipes?
They sound great and plenty loud for my taste (with the baffles in). I haven't even tried them without - I think they will be too loud :). I'm in Europe, so ordered the old EUR4 version from Italy (via eBay). I've also been in dialog with Remus in Austria and there is no 2022 version of the K1600B/GA Remus Quad exhaust. They need a test bike for them to make a new version and they don't have access to one (yet). They also told me (I have it in writing/in a mail) that the EUR4 version of the Remus Quad fits the 2022. After installing it (myself). I will say they do fit, but not perfect. I've described the issue in another thread (‘22 K1600B - Remus install), but basically the "sleeve" on the Remus is shorted than the one on the stock exhaust (see pictures). This means that there very little wiggle room to allow for adjustment/alignment of the two sides. I also struggled a lot to get the right side mounted to the new Remus brackets - simply because I could not push the pipe enough forward (due to the short sleeves).

Stock:
Vehicle registration plate Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Sleeve

Remus
Automotive tire Wood Font Automotive exterior Bumper

Hope it makes sense :)

·
Registered
393 Posts
@onkeldunkel
[/QUOTE]
I read your "Remus Install" post when it was originally posted and what I'm not following you on is why didn't you just push the Remus mufflers as far forward onto the headpieces regardless of the mufflers depth? Also, you mentioned the "height adjustment". The height is determined by both, the rear bracket mounts and front hanger studs. As far as I remember there were no vertical (only horizontal) slotted holes in the rear mounting brackets for height adjustment, but I did install mine last winter so maybe I just don't remember correctly? I also had no trouble whatsoever with the installation.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts