BMW K1600 Forum banner

2022 K1600 GTL - Engine knocking - bad

24K views 208 replies 54 participants last post by  pjmcdon4 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,
got my 2022 last Friday, have 300 miles on it now.
When between 2 to 2.5K RPM, and low speed, there is a very loud and strong vibrating knock coming from the engine, it is felt in the handlebar, that bad.

Advised Dealership, waiting on their reply, I already been told to ride the first 621 miles and bring it in for service, then they will check...will try to make the 621 ASAP so I can learn what happens there.

Any inputs on the 2022 K1600 is appreciated it.
Cheers
LCL

#2 ·
Check the out level using the correct method. In fact, if the bike is brand new, change the oil out because it still has the break-in fluid.

It would be unusual, but you can also suspect the valve lash.

#3 ·
I wouldn't touch it or ride it unless you have in writing that the dealer instructs you to ride it until the first service is due. A knock with a corresponding vibration is something that drives me off the bike in no time. What if you lock up the engine and get injured? The dealer will not come forward and tell you that they are responsible.
Park the bike and let the dealer know where to pick it up and not to forget to provide an adequate loaner.

#4 ·
What the gentleman above said. DO NOT RIDE IT until 600!!! Tow it to the dealer. You'll never be able to prove a "verbal instruction" over the phone in court if it ever gets there. Your court filing would say something to the likes of "contrary to the dealer instructions of continue to drive the vehicle, I immediately stopped operation and had said vehicle towed directly to dealers location". Something along those lines.

#6 ·
Not much help, but I have absolutely no issues with my ‘22 K1600B (have 900+ miles on it). I would definitely not drive the bike - just get it to the dealer :-/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#30 ·
Nice looking bike.

You need to get those rear tip-over guards installed ASAP.

I have no doubt that you're not a novice rider, and are able to recognize what sounds and feels abnormal - I say that after reading some of the suggestions here.

My .02:

If something in the engine / transmission is knocking badly enough to be felt in the handlebar, it is unlikely to be benign.
Agree.

#8 ·
For information, Was told over the phone JUST NOW to ride until first service, as it is under warranty and they will check.
I sent them an email with inquiry, specifying all motorbike information and describing the problem and requesting a response from their Mechanics, that way it is in writing.
Will keep you all posed.
Cheers
LCL

#9 ·
I don't care what the dealership said, I wouldn't continue to ride the bike when something is obviously wrong with the engine. A loud knocking noise coming from the engine that can be felt in the handlebars can't possibly be normal and if you continue to ride the bike the engine could grenade causing you to go down and be injured. Yes the bike is under warranty and yes BMW would most likely replace the engine under warranty if necessary but what BMW probably wouldn't do is pay your medical expenses if the engine failed and caused an accident. I'd rent a Uhaul motorcycle trailer and get the bike up to the dealership and just tell them you don't feel safe riding the bike until the issue is resolved to your satisfaction.

#10 ·
there is a very loud and strong vibrating knock coming from the engine, it is felt in the handlebar
My .02:

If something in the engine / transmission is knocking badly enough to be felt in the handlebar, it is unlikely to be benign.

We could all spend a great deal of time asking further questions (such as does the knock frequency vary with engine speed, or is it road speed dependent?) and speculating on the cause, but at 300 miles it shouldn't be doing it and a dealer that suggests continuing to ride it as though there's nothing wrong for a further 300+ miles "and then they'll deign to look at it" is, imo, incompetent. BMW's warranty will cover the issue, but it is normal practice that such an issue should be investigated by a dealer at the earliest opportunity so as to avoid unnecessary additional damage - which BMW may argue about covering, with good reason.

Do you have BMW Assistance in the USA as part of the warranty package? If so give them a call, tell them what the issue is and that you are uncomfortable continuing to use the bike. They may say "take it to a dealer", or they may come out to collect it - but calling them is the only way to find out.

#11 ·
I have 853 miles on my 2022 K1600GT. Both my wife and I noticed a knocking sound at lower speeds and lower rpms. When I took the bike in for the run in service I mentioned it to the service manager and he said they would check it out. When I picked the bike up he said there was nothing wrong with it. They took the bike out on a drive and put it through the paces, so if any problem existed they would have found it. Maybe

In certain conditions it there is certainly a mechanical knocking from the engine/drivetrain, but I'm getting use to it (or it's quieting down) and now that the run in is complete the engine moves through that rpm range pretty quickly :) Mine sounds like maybe a clutch part or backlash in the drivetrain. Probably wouldn't hear it on a louder bike. I don't feel anything through the bars but raw power and brilliant design.

#180 ·
I have 853 miles on my 2022 K1600GT. Both my wife and I noticed a knocking sound at lower speeds and lower rpms. When I took the bike in for the run in service I mentioned it to the service manager and he said they would check it out. When I picked the bike up he said there was nothing wrong with it. They took the bike out on a drive and put it through the paces, so if any problem existed they would have found it. Maybe

In certain conditions it there is certainly a mechanical knocking from the engine/drivetrain, but I'm getting use to it (or it's quieting down) and now that the run in is complete the engine moves through that rpm range pretty quickly :) Mine sounds like maybe a clutch part or backlash in the drivetrain. Probably wouldn't hear it on a louder bike. I don't feel anything through the bars but raw power and brilliant design.
I HAVE A 2022 ALSO THAT HAS A NASTY SOUND BETWEEN 2,000 AND 3,000 RPM. AT FIRST SERVICE DEALER SAID IT WAS DRIVE TRAIN NOISE. JUST MADE A APPOINTMENT TO BRING IT BACK IN, IT''S GETTING LOUDER

#13 ·
On some bikes there is a slight rattle at low load in 2nd and 3rd gear from 1800 to about 2500 rpm. This appears to be gear lash and it is of no consequence. It however does not produce vibration.

#17 ·
The '22 have anti-knock sensors. If it's knocking something is WRONG.

Duane

#19 · (Edited)
You could do what A.J. Foyt did many years ago. During a practice session something did not feel right so he came into the pits. His Chief Mechanic told him there was nothing wrong so get back on the track. He came in again and the same result.

So he went back on the track and on the main straight with his foot to the floor on the gas he shoved the clutch in. The engine blew sending a rod out through the block. He limped back in and said to his Chief Mechanic “see, I told you there was something wrong”. Supposedly a true story.

#31 ·
Hello everyone,
When between 2 to 2.5K RPM, and low speed, there is a very loud and strong vibrating knock coming from the engine, it is felt in the handlebar, that bad.

Advised Dealership, waiting on their reply, I already been told to ride the first 621 miles and bring it in for service, then they will check...will try to make the 621 ASAP so I can learn what happens there.

Cheers
LCL
Tell the dealer to come and get it. Don’t ride it.

#22 ·
I don't really think BMW are going to try and get you for using the bike if you have a complete engine failure, I had a complete engine failure on an M5 and they replaced the engine that was 3 and a half years after purchase on a 5 year warranty. Just be ready with the clutch and stop if it gets worse.

If it was me, I would just ride over to the dealer and not wait for the service, also I assume you've followed the running-in rules in the manual with no high revving etc. I'm sure the engine has been run in on the bench before installing on the bike, it's probably the most run-in part of the vehicle on day 1.

In general the rule for running in any vehicle is don't labour the engine, ride smoothly. Remember that running in, is not just the engine but the wheel bearings, brakes, clutch etc. I know a lot of people who think running in is low revs, but this is hard work for the vehicle, better to have the engine running freely between 2 and 4 RPM during the running in period.

I also noticed a slight resonance when coming off the motorway for fuel on my K yesterday which I'm sure wasn't on the old bike, but it only happened in the lower gears and was just a momentary thing.

It's always the case that we're very sensitive to anything out of the ordinary when we buy something new.

#23 ·
I have the exact same "issue" with my 22 Bagger. I've let my dealer know already and they said I could bring it in if I wanted. Getting close to my 600 mile service soon so I'll have it checked then. It's under warranty so I'm not too worried about a failure not being covered.

They do have a used 2020 Bagger that I might ask to take for a ride for comparison.

#24 ·
Grrrr. This has me concerned as I'm picking up my new machine in a week or two. I can't be dropping this kind of scratch on a bike that isn't ready to go. I know, I know, it's the internet and these kind of issues are in the minority, but I won't lie and say it doesn't spook me as a first time Beemer owner.

#44 ·
Don't worry! I totally understand how you feel, completely.
I have a 1600GT in Australia, it has never missed a beat, runs like a sewing machine at 40,000kms, no different from new. I had a minor electronic issue with the switch block, BMW replaced it outside warranty for free. I have a 1200GS in America on which I have done 70,000 miles, no issues. I did have an 1100GS that got to 115,000kms, no issues.
I too read the issues here and wonder why these things happen. I have found BMW the company to be very professional as long as common sense and courtesy is used. Go in with guns blazing and you're finished. But remain polite and courteous and they will bend over backwards for you. I have had this consistent good experience with;
BMW in New Jersey (BMW USA),
Munich Germany, (BMW AG)
Auckland New Zealand, (BMW New Zealand)
and Newcastle Australia. It can't be coincidence.

#25 ·
Hello everyone,

Cheers
LCL
Of course the local dealer doesn’t have any skin in the game because they are looking forward to repairing it under BMW Motorrad warranty. I would trailer it in and leave it with them.

#28 ·
Hello everyone,

Cheers
LCL
What gear are you in when this happens? Is it possible the motor is lugging, especially in higher gears?

#29 ·
It should NOT matter which gear you're in. If a new motor is detonating/knocking there is a problem.

Duane