BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
KBiK
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Decided to set myself a challenge in 2022 of enjoying as many of the Top 50 BBQ Joints in Texas as rated by Texas Monthly. I have started posting some of these that I plan to do on Saturdays as ST-Owners RTEs, but I also plan to ride during the week just to show how rigorous my retirement is for me! :cool:

I plan to ride KBiK to these locations as much as possible but will be forced to use the cage occasionally.

This is what I have planned for the next three months:

DateLocationComment
Tuesday Jan' 11thTejas Chocolate + Barbecue, Tomball, TXSpent more on chocolate than the BBQ!
Friday Jan' 14thLJ's BBQ, Brenham, TXRiding there for 11:00am
Wednesday Jan' 19thBurnt Bean Co. Seguin, TX (4th top BBQ Joint)Riding there for 11:00am
Thursday Jan' 27thHays Co Bar-B-Que, San Marcos, TXLunch on the way to WinterSTOC
Wednesday Feb' 9thEvie May's Pit BBQ, Lubbock, TX (8th top BBQ Joint)
Saturday Feb' 19thMiller's Smokehouse, Belton, TXRTE
Thursday Mar' 3rdBaker Boy's BBQ, Gonzales, TX
Saturday Mar' 5thEaker BBQ, Fredericksburg, TX
Saturday Mar' 19thMimsy's Craft BBQ, Crockett, TXRTE
Friday Mar' 25thLavaca BBQ, Port Lavaca, TX
Thursday Apr' 14thHelberg BBQ, Waco, TXLunch on the way to RanchSTOC
Saturday Apr' 16thHard Eight BBQ, Stephenville, TXRTE during RanchSTOC

Happy for anyone to join me!

2021 - Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ Joints - Google My Maps

·
Registered
868 Posts
Decided to set myself a challenge in 2022 of enjoying as many of the Top 50 BBQ Joints in Texas as rated by Texas Monthly. I have started posting some of these that I plan to do on Saturdays as ST-Owners RTEs, but I also plan to ride during the week just to show how rigorous my retirement is for me! :cool:

I plan to ride KBiK to these locations as much as possible but will be forced to use the cage occasionally.

This is what I have planned for the next three months:

DateLocationComment
Tuesday Jan' 11thTejas Chocolate + Barbecue, Tomball, TXSpent more on chocolate than the BBQ!
Friday Jan' 14thLJ's BBQ, Brenham, TXRiding there for 11:00am
Wednesday Jan' 19thBurnt Bean Co. Seguin, TX (4th top BBQ Joint)Riding there for 11:00am
Thursday Jan' 27thHays Co Bar-B-Que, San Marcos, TXLunch on the way to WinterSTOC
Wednesday Feb' 9thEvie May's Pit BBQ, Lubbock, TX (8th top BBQ Joint)
Saturday Feb' 19thMiller's Smokehouse, Belton, TXRTE
Thursday Mar' 3rdBaker Boy's BBQ, Gonzales, TX
Saturday Mar' 5thEaker BBQ, Fredericksburg, TX
Saturday Mar' 19thMimsy's Craft BBQ, Crockett, TXRTE
Friday Mar' 25thLavaca BBQ, Port Lavaca, TX
Thursday Apr' 14thHelberg BBQ, Waco, TXLunch on the way to RanchSTOC
Saturday Apr' 16thHard Eight BBQ, Stephenville, TX

Happy for anyone to join me!

2021 - Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ Joints - Google My Maps
How is your kbike doing Andy that looks like a lot of rides and good eating.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
This is the kind of RTE challenge I could sink my teeth into if I were living in TX.

·
KBiK
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How is your kbike doing Andy that looks like a lot of rides and good eating.

Thanks, KBiK is doing fine after 115K miles. Wanted to do a lot more riding this year so this challenge is as good an excuse as anything!

Reactions: Darbinco

·
Registered
2013 BMW K1600GT-P in Montego Blue
382 Posts
Where are you based? I am in San Antonio so a lot of these are close to me...

·
Super Moderator
1,501 Posts
I"m glad you can ride this time of year. It's a bit tougher for us in the north to get out and ride safely. Heated gear helps, but patches of ice on the road add an extra layer of excitement that I could live without. Enjoy the BBQ and toast us northerners who are envious of the food and riding you guys and gals can do.

Reactions: amorley

·
KBiK
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where are you based? I am in San Antonio so a lot of these are close to me...
I am on the west side of Houston. You are welcome to join me on on any of these dates.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
@amorley I wish I could join you. A nice 2-day ride to Texas sounds good, especially for great barbecue. Maybe when the world becomes more sane, whenever that is. 🤔

I do something similar, hitting the top burger outlets in my section of SoCal. A good Kobe Burger is worth a little effort:

Food Tableware Cloud Sky Table

·
KBiK
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Hard Eight is about a 120 mile ride for me through lovely Palo Pinto County. Might pencil that in the schedule if you're looking for company. Good brisket. Bit of a hike for you!
I was thinking of doing the Hard Eight in Stephenville as an RTE from the ST-Owners RanchSTOC event which is near Meridian so it would be an easy ride

·
Registered
868 Posts
McRib is not made from rib meat. It's made of restructured meat products like heart, tripe, and scalded stomach.
Lemke
You had to spoil it for me, I thought mc rib was pure ribs not restructured meat, now I'll have bad thoughts every time I eat one

·
Texas Thorn
2,548 Posts
@amorley Andy, I’ll try to meet you at Evie Mae’s . Maybe on four wheels, as February is usually our coldest month. Only about 30 minutes away. Have not been there, but have had their food at a catered event. I believe that they only serve lunch. Long lines outside I hear. When I can get free, I’ll try to get more info.

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
I pity the folks that know so little about what real BBQ should be. It always baffles me when I hear people refer to throwing meat on a grill and slathering sauce all over it as BBQing. I get it that not everyone can be so blessed as to be born and raised in the Deep South of the USA so no offense is taken by the opinions of those poor souls, bless their hearts.

Real BBQ, whether it's Texas brisket or Deep South pulled pork and ribs, is slow smoked with indirect heat over real wood coals, not that nasty chemical laced brickette trash. Yes, I am an unashamed BBQ snob who has spent a lifetime consuming and learning to property smoke delicious treats in this manner.

And, RL will tell you that I have not always had a proper amount of respect for Texas BBQ. Growing up in Alabama and Georgia we all took it as a fact that the most delicious BBQ always came from the noble pig. But now, having perfected my own slow smoked full packer brisket; and, having done a tour of Texas Hill Country BBQ establishments of wide fame, I am not so proud of my southern roots that I won't now acknowledge there are some amazing briskets that will hold up to anything from a pig.

Here's a couple of pork shoulders that once done will just fall to pieces in a tender juicy mess:

A full packer brisket just about ready to be wrapped in pink butcher paper and put back on the smoker for another few hours:

This brisket started the cook at about 17 lbs and here's what we enjoyed for dinner after 12 hours on the smoker:

And here's what it looks like to "pull" a 7lb pork butt/shoulder when it's cooked properly for about 10 hours over real wood coals (with gratuitous images of my premium bourbon BBQ sauce in the making):

Now, what was that you were saying about the McRib?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts