BMW K1600 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts
Its probably all a combo of:
There has already been a great deal of speculation on the reasons, and a complete absence of information from BMW Motorrad.

It is the combination of the repeated slippages and absolute lack of information that would allow customers who have already ordered and paid deposits to plan that is pi$$ing people off.

Last Wednesday (20th April) I emailed BMW UK Customer Service bemoaning that lack of information regarding my delayed K1600GT SE order. I pointed out that my dealer has been supportive and that I had no complaint regarding them, but that obviously they can't provide information if it is not forthcoming from BMW Motorrad.

Today, I phoned BMW UK Customer Service asking for an update on my case as I hadn't received anything other than the automated email response last week telling me that "we'll do our best to respond to you within the next 2 working days".

I learned nothing about my order, but did learn that my case was "in a queue for the Customer Service Team to address" and that they're "very busy at the moment".

I resisted the temptation to suggest that perhaps if they were to proactively provide information via their dealer network to customers who have delayed orders with them, they wouldn't have so many enquiries to deal with?

Discussion starter · #23 ·
I resisted the temptation to suggest that perhaps if they were to proactively provide information via their dealer network to customers who have delayed orders with them, they wouldn't have so many enquiries to deal with?
That last paragraph made me chuckle; it was what I said to them in my last communication.
Below is an extract from their initial response to me which was merely repeated every time I replied asking for information - utter joke and grammatically laughable.

“Thanks for your email about the unexpected delays you're experiencing with your new BMW K1600GT - I’m sorry this has happened and can understand how disappointing this must be for you.
Here at BMW UK, we're the distributor of new vehicles to our network of independently owned and managed Centres. With this in mind, they’re best placed to discuss any updates or contract options with you.
I've been in touch with your dealership and I've asked him to get in contact with you directly.”

I reiterated to the customer service :D person that my dealership could only provide information to me that had in fact been fed to them by BMW UK and that the dealership does not have a better source of information than BMW UK which is effectively what they were suggesting when informing me that the dealership was best placed to advise further!!

Off the soapbox now for the time being :mad:

my dealership could only provide information to me that had in fact been fed to them by BMW UK and that the dealership does not have a better source of information than BMW UK
My suspicion (unconfirmed) is that BMW UK only have the same production order enquiry facility that the dealers have. If that's the case, it makes me wonder what value they add to the process?

Discussion starter · #25 ·
My suspicion (unconfirmed) is that BMW UK only have the same production order enquiry facility that the dealers have. If that's the case, it makes me wonder what value they add to the process?
Nah, definitely not the case Phil. The Motorrad side (UK) have a production planning department within the sales side, they control all unit allocation and production for the UK market and have a finger pointed directly to the factory. I can tell you that is most definitely the case.

Customers service responses are at best generic and a buck passing exercise back to the dealership. I know that the dealer network is really frustrated with how they get whitewashed over when things go wrong or get awkward – I can site the debacle that was the 2014 R1200RT rear suspension problem when all bikes were grounded including those that were by then in cistomers hands.

Reactions: st13phil
The Motorrad side (UK) have a production planning department within the sales side, they control all unit allocation and production for the UK market and have a finger pointed directly to the factory.
That actually makes much more sense from a process point of view. Pity they don't communicate more effectively.

Its probably all a combo of:

• chip shortage (look at the car mkt)
  • covid production delays
-US market priority for the K16 given they sell 10x over there vs here.
So knowing that they had a shortage of chips BMW chose to make bikes to sit on dealers lots in the US whilst orders elsewhere are given the two fingers.

My dealer also has demo bikes now, showing that BMW are least interested in customer orders than anything else.
Likewise. At my dealer's this morning I learned that they have a both a MY2022 K1600B and and K1600GT delivered - but not available to be seen - for "launch / demo rides" from 14th May.

I also learned that my factory order still doesn't have a VIN or confirmed dates, but that the current schedule is Build week 21 (w/c 23rd May) and Delivery week 23 (w/c 6th June), so I'm definitely using the GTL for our Norway trip.

I also learned that my factory order still doesn't have a VIN or confirmed dates, but that the current schedule is Build week 21 (w/c 23rd May) and Delivery week 23 (w/c 6th June), so I'm definitely using the GTL for our Norway trip.
I feel that BMW have a real arrogant streak to just assume that customers who have ordered are "in the bag" so can wait for their bikes. If you haven't got any big trips coming then the new bike just loses its appeal. I've lost my Spain and Scotland trip, I only have one other trip to Germany planned this year and I'm not entirely sure I'll be in country for that.

Discussion starter · #33 ·
[QUOTE="st13phil, post:
[/QUOTE]

Just had an update about my 22 GT and it's build / delivery ETA is the same as yours.

Reactions: st13phil
Just had an update about my 22 GT and it's build / delivery ETA is the same as yours.
Frankly, I have little confidence that it won't slip further, but as I now won't be collecting mine until late July when we're back from Norway they have a fair degree of leeway ;)

Discussion starter · #35 ·
I cant keep up, just had yet another update re production and mine is now at 150 (in production) and has a chassis number, expected delivery 23rd May!
Thats good news for me finally and light at the end of the tunnel (y)
I have a trip booked at the end of May but will still go on the XR as Ive had to give the reg. number etc for the booking, also after all the tooing and froing with the GT Im still in denial about the delivery dates Ive been given so dont want to plan anything around that bike just for the time being.

I cant keep up, just had yet another update re production and mine is now at 150 (in production) and has a chassis number, expected delivery 23rd May!
So they've moved from Build wk 21 / Delivery wk 23 to Build wk 18 (or perhaps 19?) / Delivery wk 21?

Methinks their scheduling is shot to bits, so I concur that you're wise not to plan anything around that revised information.

I ordered a GTL back at the beginning of February. Delivery was originally due April, later revised to May/June. More recently revised to July. Just got an email out of the blue last week to say that a GTL of identical spec to that ordered by me was due to be delivered to a UK dealer for the launch on 15th May. It is in the country now and I have now been offered that one for delivery third week of May. So I've said "Yes please". Seems too good to be true, but feeling quietly optimistic now. Some dealer is not going to have a demo model on their floor for the launch it would seem. Perhaps it was my dealers demo, I don't know.

Just got an email out of the blue last week to say that a GTL of identical spec to that ordered by me was due to be delivered to a UK dealer for the launch on 15th May. It is in the country now and I have now been offered that one for delivery third week of May. So I've said "Yes please".
That's the first instance of a customer delivery being given priority over a dealer demonstrator that's been reported during this debacle. And many of us ordered bikes back in 2021...

Who in BMW UK do you have compromising photo's of? ;) :ROFLMAO:

Discussion starter · #39 ·
That's the first instance of a customer delivery being given priority over a dealer demonstrator that's been reported during this debacle. And many of us ordered bikes back in 2021...

Who in BMW UK do you have compromising photo's of? ;) :ROFLMAO:
Im hearing most dealers were supposed to be getting two demos - Im wondering if the second bike is being offered for sale into the network to ease the backlog of customer orders. It would be the least BMW UK could do to restore some sort of faith, then again maybe its the dealers being proactive as its profit at the end of the day whereas they are required to keep demos for 3 months + to get their demo discount before they can sell on.

Im hearing most dealers were supposed to be getting two demos
That's my understanding too (also that they can't de-fleet before 90 days if they want to collect the demo allowance).

It's fair to say that the dealers have been hung out to dry on this one by BMW Germany / BMW UK and I know that my dealer has overdue GS's and RT's too, so maybe the dealer involved is doing what they can to improve their cashflow?

21 - 40 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.