BMW K1600 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts
Discussion starter · #41 ·
That's my understanding too (also that they can't de-fleet before 90 days if they want to collect the demo allowance).

It's fair to say that the dealers have been hung out to dry on this one by BMW Germany / BMW UK and I know that my dealer has overdue GS's and RT's too, so maybe the dealer involved is doing what they can to improve their cashflow?
Apparantly RT's are 6 months lead time and thats without the ACC option!

Reactions: st13phil
I also learned that my factory order still doesn't have a VIN or confirmed dates, but that the current schedule is Build week 21 (w/c 23rd May) and Delivery week 23 (w/c 6th June)
Just a quick update.

I was in my dealer's this morning and they confirmed that "my" bike is now built, but it is still in Germany awaiting shipment to the UK - a condition it's been in "for about the last 10 days". I said in an earlier post that I had little confidence that it wouldn't slip further and I haven't been disappointed :rolleyes:

In fairness, my dealer's sales team are tearing their hair out with the continual delays and lack of information, not just on the K1600's but across the spectrum.

Discussion starter · #46 ·
Just a quick update.

I was in my dealer's this morning and they confirmed that "my" bike is now built, but it is still in Germany awaiting shipment to the UK - a condition it's been in "for about the last 10 days". I said in an earlier post that I had little confidence that it wouldn't slip further and I haven't been disappointed :rolleyes:

In fairness, my dealer's sales team are tearing their hair out with the continual delays and lack of information, not just on the K1600's but across the spectrum.
Your scenario mirrors that of mine, despite mt bike being completed nearly three weeks ago I only took delivery this past Saturday. It appears most dealers have multiple bikes of various models which are delayed and / or held up once build completed. My dealer also told me that alot of new build bikes are having certain components removed to aid getting bikes to customers. No LED Headlights for GS models for example.

Discussion starter · #49 ·
Another update.

I received an email from my dealer this morning telling me that - at long last - my bike has arrived, albeit effectively three weeks after the last "expected delivery" estimate. So now it will sit in its crate for a while before being prepped for collection when I get back from my Norway trip.

Discussion starter · #53 ·
Another update.
albeit effectively three weeks after the last "expected delivery" estimate.
Yep, that mirrored my delay too, that’s probably the most consistent timing confirmation to come out of all this :rolleyes:
Still, on the bright side, you have your Norway trip on the loaner to enjoy then the thrill of running in and setting up the new bike when you get home, result me thinks (y)

Still, on the bright side, you have your Norway trip on the loaner to enjoy then the thrill of running in and setting up the new bike when you get home, result me thinks (y)
Indeed. And then we head off on our next trip to Italy.

I'm leading that and can't afford to have any navigation failures, so I need to get my newly delivered Zumo XT mounted on the new bike too. I just don't have the time to faff around converting and experimenting with routes to work reliably and as-planned with the Connected App-based navigation (nor the desire to deal with any disconnects and other random failure modes while on the trip). It will be a bit of a scurry to get everything set up and the bike run in and serviced, but needs must!

Discussion starter · #55 ·
I'm leading that and can't afford to have any navigation failures, so I need to get my newly delivered Zumo XT mounted on the new bike too. I just don't have the time to faff around converting and experimenting with routes to work reliably and as-planned with the Connected App-based navigation (nor the desire to deal with any disconnects and other random failure modes while on the trip). It will be a bit of a scurry to get everything set up and the bike run in and serviced, but needs must!
I think the Zumo is a good insurance policy and I would do the same if I was up against it time wise and faced with a new system with an impending trip.

I would say though that now having used my GT for the past two weeks and covered 600 + miles running around the Cotswolds and elsewhere the navigation app has worked flawlessly, I haven’t experienced any dropouts or any connectivity issues, all the routes I have planned and imported into the app have worked perfectly. Even when stopping for a pie and a pint the app reconnects and off, I go. I’m only saying all of this to give you confidence that the system, once you get your head around it, is good and more than a good match for anything my Nav 6 did.
My only problem was the voice prompt volume or lack of but have a fix for that (thread in the TFT section) and everything is tickety boo.

I would say though that now having used my GT for the past two weeks and covered 600 + miles running around the Cotswolds and elsewhere the navigation app has worked flawlessly, I haven’t experienced any dropouts or any connectivity issues, all the routes I have planned and imported into the app have worked perfectly.
Thanks for that: reassuring to hear that it's working for you.

The problem (that I have to have insurance against in terms of a Zumo) is that the results seem to vary, and that what works for an Android user may not for an iPhone user and vice-versa. Add in that I simply don't have the luxury of time to a) become familiar with it, and b) to confirm that there are no issues with my own particular phone / bike combination and my hands are tied.

Life has taught me not to make fundamental technology changes immediately before having to rely upon that technology. Taking delivery of a new bike shortly before a critical trip carries enough risk as it is. There's no point in setting myself up for an avoidable failure as well.

Discussion starter · #57 ·
Taking delivery of a new bike shortly before a critical trip carries enough risk as it is. There's no point in setting myself up for an avoidable failure as well.
Agreed on that.

I’ve been fortunate to have my XR to use for the past nine months and the luxury of time to really familiarise myself with the app / nav system. The bike also has a nav 6 hooked up to it too so like you that was my failsafe over the connected app when I did our Alps trip (My GT wasn’t in the country anyway)

I would say though that now having used my GT for the past two weeks and covered 600 + miles running around the Cotswolds and elsewhere the navigation app has worked flawlessly, I haven’t experienced any dropouts or any connectivity issues, all the routes I have planned and imported into the app have worked perfectly. Even when stopping for a pie and a pint the app reconnects and off, I go. I’m only saying all of this to give you confidence that the system, once you get your head around it, is good and more than a good match for anything my Nav 6 did.
What navigation program are you using for GPX file creation? Have you found something that imports hard waypoints and shaping points correctly?

Discussion starter · #59 ·
What navigation program are you using for GPX file creation? Have you found something that imports hard waypoints and shaping points correctly?
I use MRA route planner for the connected app like others on here. After the route has been created (I use open street map as my default setting) and the way points in place I export it as a .gpx 1.0 route track POI file and send it to my phone.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.