BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in anyone who has used a 360 cam on a motorcycle. Specifically your experience(s) with mounting locations, methods and overall happiness with it vs a front and rear non-360 camera.

I’ve read some folks here were considering this about a year ago (insta and garmin VIRB) but haven’t seen much since.

The reason I’m asking is my two (front rear) Garmin VIRB elite cameras are getting finicky. And I’m tired of failed remote connections. It’s old tech and I got them at close out/discontinued pricing, so I’m not upset, but tech has improved considerably.

Namely, in the GoPro arena. The MAX, their new 360 cam is getting decent reviews and while the raw 360 foootage is still a niche offering, the in camera stitching with the in-app reframing to 1080p 16x9 seems like a good combo. I am ok with it not being 4K.

My current cams are mounted on a mirror mount below my clearwaters up front and on a custom bracket under luggage rack in rear. I use VIRB edit software to edit looped footage, combining both views via the onboard cam gps for timing and “g” metrics (speed, altitude, etc).

What I can’t figure out though is where I’d mount it. The most logical place i think would be my helmet. But I don’t like that for fear of added wind noise and likely required power connection.

Hence, does anyone have experiences or videos they can share with various mounting locations?

Conversely, has anyone explored this and decided not to go 360 in favor of newer front and rear cams? (Because a MAX is about the same price as two Hero7’s). Thanks for any thoughts

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
I looked at this quite a bit last year, mostly watching other peoples videos. Here are my thoughts.

Problems

1. The distortion effects from the 360 cameras are significant, not only do you get stitching artifacts, and warping, you also have to deal with exposure artifacts in those tough lighting situations (strong sunlight low on the horizon).
2. The byproduct of the ability to shift the view (pan in any direction) is that you sort of lose perspective. What I mean by this is that between the warping and the shifting of the viewpoint (taking advantage of 360) the video gets distorted in all the wrong ways for action sports, you lose both the sense of speed, and the sense of position (pitch, lean, etc), the net effect of which is an overall flatter experience. Here is an example of Peter Hickman in 360 (using an insta360)

In contrast, here is Peter Hickman from onboard video.

Huge difference in how the video feels

Positives

1. Extremely convenient for fire and forget shooting, you are going to get everything without any planning
2. With the 4K cameras even recomposing to still shots gives you reasonable (web quality) based images
3. Fun to play with the different modes
4. You can make up your story after the fact. Half of shooting video is knowing what you want to capture (see point 1)

At the end of the day I decided to go with a multicamera setup this coming season, still have not picked which camera.

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
I don't see it as either/or. I see both for different uses. I agree with @earthling to a degree that I would not use a 360 exclusively. I have two mounted systems each covering one threat vector (forward, aft, port, starboard). These cost me under $500 all-in. I want to add another 360 for those intentional shoots. That will be $400 (Insta360 One X) and can mount to either the bike or my body for different types of shooting. I think $1000 is not too much to spend for that one moment which cannot be duplicated.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I wanted single camera and not high end video maker so I’m using a 360 camera. I can shoot in 360 and then in post I can leave fully immersive with 360, or I can lock in views at any direction. I’m sure there is distortion, but for level it’s fine.

On my R1200r I have ram mount on right side that allows me to position just to right of windshield. I tried on helmet and on front of bike, if I want ability to view in any direction, the position just to right of windshield works for me. I didn’t try on top of helmet. That would give good 360 views, but I didn’t want to ride around with camera on top of helmet.

I have the Virb 360. It’s getting long in the tooth, but so easy to use and edit. The sensor integration is still better than anyone. Replaceable lenses, waterproof while using external power and Bluetooth mic.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I should add that I haven’t quite figured out best place on k1600gt to mount. Bigger windshield and plastics.

I’m thinking about ram mount in fork stem and then long arm to get camera high so that front view would be partly thru windshield, but could also view backwards. I’d have to see if that will be distraction for me.

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
For 360 cameras the decision often ends up being one of software (it always is). Insta360 and Garmin have the best I know of. You can buy a sub-$100 camera but post-production is difficult.

I believe Insta360 software allows for the post-production conversion of a 360 video to a conventional video but from any perspective! Meaning you can rerender the video next year to be a shot back up in the sky at the eagle you didn't notice last year. How F'in cool is that? With this concept, all you ever need is one 360 scene and you can figure it out later.

My choice will be two-fold; a nose mount for travel shots when I know I am going to have a great day, and a vest mount on gear I already wear in case I want a first-person perspective.

And I have looked at some people who use follow-me drones too. I cannot afford that madness but if I could I would for special occasions.

Total Speed Racer. The way I see it; its chump change considering what it buys. So long as your gear is not a distraction (that is the critical consideration) somewhere down the road you may want to armchair the ride once more.

Consider this: this is the first generation of Humanity who will be completely referencable to future generations. I have only a vague recollection of my favorite Grandfather now but I know I embody him in many ways. My grandkids and theirs, and yours, will know us intimately well by our vanity, in perpetuity. History will later see that as a huge cultural change.

You owe it to Humanity to go spend money on cameras.

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
I wanted single camera and not high end video maker so I’m using a 360 camera. I can shoot in 360 and then in post I can leave fully immersive with 360, or I can lock in views at any direction. I’m sure there is distortion, but for level it’s fine.

On my R1200r I have ram mount on right side that allows me to position just to right of windshield. I tried on helmet and on front of bike, if I want ability to view in any direction, the position just to right of windshield works for me. I didn’t try on top of helmet. That would give good 360 views, but I didn’t want to ride around with camera on top of helmet.

I have the Virb 360. It’s getting long in the tooth, but so easy to use and edit. The sensor integration is still better than anyone. Replaceable lenses, waterproof while using external power and Bluetooth mic.

That top part of the video is exactly why I don't like 360 cameras. Even corners end up being distorted to be straight ahead. Its okay for documentation purposes but you lose all sense of action.

·
Registered
386 Posts
A 360 camera is not cinematic study incidents during racing or accidents on the road.
I use my 360 camera sometimes for racing.

·
Registered
57 Posts
That top part of the video is exactly why I don't like 360 cameras. Even corners end up being distorted to be straight ahead. Its okay for documentation purposes but you lose all sense of action.
Good point. This particular footage was shot about one week after owning the camera. I learned that different stabilisation affects made a big difference. I don’t recall which one I settled into for this video. Some of the effects really seemed unnatural. Even with different effects probably wouldn’t change what your looking for in regards of action and 360.

Fascinating to get different perspectives on what people want out of video.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
I am interested in anyone who has used a 360 cam on a motorcycle. Specifically your experience(s) with mounting locations, methods and overall happiness with it vs a front and rear non-360 camera.

I’ve read some folks here were considering this about a year ago (insta and garmin VIRB) but haven’t seen much since.

The reason I’m asking is my two (front rear) Garmin VIRB elite cameras are getting finicky. And I’m tired of failed remote connections. It’s old tech and I got them at close out/discontinued pricing, so I’m not upset, but tech has improved considerably.

Namely, in the GoPro arena. The MAX, their new 360 cam is getting decent reviews and while the raw 360 foootage is still a niche offering, the in camera stitching with the in-app reframing to 1080p 16x9 seems like a good combo. I am ok with it not being 4K.

My current cams are mounted on a mirror mount below my clearwaters up front and on a custom bracket under luggage rack in rear. I use VIRB edit software to edit looped footage, combining both views via the onboard cam gps for timing and “g” metrics (speed, altitude, etc).

What I can’t figure out though is where I’d mount it. The most logical place i think would be my helmet. But I don’t like that for fear of added wind noise and likely required power connection.

Hence, does anyone have experiences or videos they can share with various mounting locations?

Conversely, has anyone explored this and decided not to go 360 in favor of newer front and rear cams? (Because a MAX is about the same price as two Hero7’s). Thanks for any thoughts
This is what I did with the now out of production Rylo. The mount however is a standard Gopro that will take any of the gopro products. Needed to get it uot as far as I could so it would see both forward and aft of the bike. The bike is a 2016 GTL. It will not work on the new mirror beams. It is printable on a 3d printer. The other mount is for the Gopro 5 camera. Just srew the antennae off and put the mount in between.
Here are some pics
Gopro Session5 Antenna mount.jpg
Rylo Mount again.jpg
Scanning the bike.jpg

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have just purchased an Insta 360 One R and plan to tour with it this year. The bike is all kitted out and ready but weather is preventing me from testing. On my R1250RT I have a RAM mount on my left handlebar, a Wunderlich mount on the windscreen and a RAM tough claw which will let me hook it up to the rear passenger handrail or my engine guards. As well as the RAM mounts I have a 16cm extension pole.

I also have the Insta Remote control which will let me switch the One R off and on, this will be mounted on the handlebar.

Note, I also have a Gopro 8, a Gopro 7 and a Mavic Air drone, so I am well kitted out with cameras. Note also that the size of 360 video's along with the extra step of rendering the video will mean that I will use the One R on a sporadic basis. The Gopro's will be my main source of video.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Many thanks to everyone for their posts, pics and excellent info.

Much for me to review and consider.

I like the idea of the one camera to capture it all and the. Reframe to 1080p. I’m less solid on ideal mounting options and other trade offs. The comparison videos are helpful — though I do think the new 360 cameras could create an exciting 1080 “regular frame” video that’s could be even more compelling.

I will report back with more questions and or decisions.

Thanks again

1 - 12 of 12 Posts