1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

4th of July Mountain Ride- July 2020
Dates: Thursday 2nd July to Sunday 5th July
(4th of July is on a Saturday); Some are arriving on Wednesday the 1st of July
Location: Skyline Village Inn & Tavern (SVIT) ( http://www.skylinevillageinn.com ), Little Switzerland, NC; Block of rooms reserved under K1600- Do Not Book On Line: Call SVI directly at 828.765.9394 for Reservations.

Area is one of the "Best Kept Secrets" in Appalachian Mountain Riding” & One of My Favorite Places to Ride!!

(Devils Whip-NC80, DiamondBack-NC 226A, The Snake-TN 421, Spiral Staircase- NC 281, Murder Mountain Row, Revere Rd, Back of the Dragon-VA 16, etc.).

Yes, you can see the fireworks from the balcony.
Yes, I know the MOA Rally in Great Falls, MT is the 25-27th June.
(Corona Virus Pandemic should be on the downswing by this time)

See You in the Mountains..

Best,
Doc 😀 😀

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still some room open for the 4th July Weekend ride at the Skyline. Mike won’t be holding these rooms much longer.

Best,

Doc:unsure::unsure:

·
Premium Member
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Skyline Inn & Tavern is wide OPEN!! Just came back from there & the area was amazing. Many of the routes now have new paving. Mike Thrift, the owner of the Skyline had us up to see the modifications they put in since last season.

-New TV’s with a new cable provider
-Ethernet plugs in every room
-New A/C units throughout the entire facility that are sooooo quite.
-New windows
-Revamped Outside porch area

The place was assume as usual & the riding was impressive. They now have a permanent photographer on the Snake!!
Please feel free to join us for our 4th of July Mountain Ride. All Experienced mountain Riders are welcome.

See you in the Mountains,

Doc(y)(y)

·
Premium Member
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For those planing to attend the 2020 4th of July weekend Mountain Ride I have the gpx files for Thursday, Friday & Saturday. PM me & I will send then to you. Best,

Doc (y) (y)

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
I just called Mike to cancel my reservation. My transmission recall was done a couple of weeks ago and now it’s back in the shop for an oil leak. I wish that I would have said no to the recall

·
Premium Member
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just called Mike to cancel my reservation. My transmission recall was done a couple of weeks ago and now it’s back in the shop for an oil leak. I wish that I would have said no to the recall

Bummer, have heard this happening with allot of recall folks. I quess the BMW kit for the clutch replacement does not come with a seal to the outside clutch housing. Got a riding buddy the BMW Dealer actually cracked the outside clutch housing while trying to tighten the bolts. The clutch housing bolts have to be tightened in a specific order & the seal has to be replaced if it is removed. Yes, I have been through this before.

It is OK KayGee. Brett, Al & Jan have already bailed. I have to get away from the heat so, heading to the mountains.

Best,

Doc 😫 😫

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Did you have it done at the dealer in Marietta?

I am trying to get mine scheduled with them although I am not in any big rush since I have been riding mine all along with no symptoms of impending failure.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Did you have it done at the dealer in Marietta?

I am trying to get mine scheduled with them although I am not in any big rush since I have been riding mine all along with no symptoms of impending failure.
No I went back to McDonough since my preferred dealer Hourglass in Buford has gone out of business. I was trying to have it done at the same time as my 18k service and Marietta couldn’t schedule me until much later.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I see a Mountain View Restaurant near the Skyline Inn on the web.

It says open for carryout only but the phone is disconnected.

Does anyone know if it's open?

·
Premium Member
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
offroad,

The Skyline Inn & Tacern has Breakfast, Dinner & a Bar (beer, wine, liquor, etc.). We usually eat/ drink there. They even have a Beer Tasting Contest. For lunch I will try to go somewhere other than NC so, we can inside to eat. Yes, there is covered parking for your bike at the Skyline.

Best,

Doc (y) (y)

·
Premium Member
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
SE K1600 Riders 4th of July Mountain Ride

NO DROPS, NO TICKETS, NO WREAKS, Just a LITTLE RAIN

We had 5 riders show up over the 4th of July weekend at the SkyLine Inn & Tavern in Little Switzerland, NC (Skyline Village Inn );

GaryCulb- K1600; SC
MKrok- GSA 1250; NJ
offroad- K1600; IN
Seneca- K1600; SC
Gabe- Connie; SC

& Amos & Kelly (Honda Guys)

Thursday everybody wanted to go to the Pisgah Inn for Lunch. So after the Daimondback-NC226A (Diamondback 226 – Motorcycle and Sportcar Touring Routes near Little Switzerland and Blue Ridge Parkway North Carolina) & the Devils Whip- NC 80(North Carolina's Route 80 (AKA Devil's Whip)) we took the BRPW to the Pisgah Inn. Weather was fantastic the entire day through NC 63, NC 209, Road with NO NAME & Big Laurel to NC 19.

Friday we went up to Roan Mountain where the Honda guys went their own way, across NC 194 & up to the Snake (The Snake 421, "The Best of The Snake Motorcycle Ride"). Saw about 3 million dollars worth of auto’s at the Snake(WTF!!!). Then up to Damascus to VA58, back down to NC221 & the BRPW to the Skyline. Weather was great until the Boone area where we caught a bit of rain.

That evening we gave the owner of the Skyline Inn & Tavern, Michael Thrift, a long deserved plague for all the years he had been taking care of the BMW K1600 groups.

Saturday it was up to the new store at the Back of the Dragon (Home - Back of the Dragon; BOTD). Definitely worth the trip & the road as usual was very entertaining. Weather was warm & clear. Guys wanted to go back to the Snake & then across NC 194 in a drizzle to NC 19E.

Averaged around 300 miles a day. Great weekend & a fantastic place to stay if you are riding this amazing area.
Guess COVID-19 kept folks home.

Best,

Doc (y) (y)

·
Registered
544 Posts
That Matt sure does get around! WOW! Hey glad that you all had a good time.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Glad you fine gentlemen had an equally fine time. Even as a Tennessean, I have to admit my very favorite area road is the Devil‘s Whip. Love the elevation change, and the fact it’s often nearly deserted on non-holidays and non-weekends, to include nearly devoid of cops, means fun, and with some straights between the nice curves, you can build up some speed.

If anyone’s never been to the area, don’t just do the Dragon and the Snake. If you’ve never ridden the roads in the Pishah Nat’l Forest, you’re missing out. These guys did it up right!

·
Premium Member
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That Matt sure does get around! WOW! Hey glad that you all had a good time.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
What Brett is referring to is that Mkrok was part of the group that qbird66 lead out to the Western USA for a road trip ( June 2020 – Rolling On Two ). 9 days seeing the sights with 6 riders. Then, Matt took the time to stop by on the way home for the SE K1600 Riders 4th of July mountain ride. He was gone for almost 21 days before returning home where he is a police officer in NJ. Mkrok, Thanks for showing up & your Service!

Best,

Doc (y) (y)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts