BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Mr.Fix It
9,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm heading west in a couple of weeks for 13 days of riding in Colorado and Utah. I'm trailering my GT and @FloRider GT to Denver. Gary on his GTL will be tagging along for the trip. Another friend of mine on an RT, will be meeting us in Denver. @MountainGT is joining us in Utah and @Arizona Jim and his wife will meet us in Pagosa Springs, CO. Couple of days ago I stumbled on a youtube video describing 5 of the best Colorado rides for 2022. Coincidently we will doing all of these rides on this trip. Just thought I'd share the video. FWIW, we've ridden most of these rides and, of course, others will be included on this trip. We will be spending 3 days in Moab and can't wait to ride @J-Luv favorite ride there, the Lasalle Loop, again. :)

Duane

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
I was on some of those roads almost two months ago now. It was 90 degrees at 9-10 thousand feet (except for the hour I got hailed on in UT). It's probably hotter now. Stay cool and have a great ride. (y)

·
Registered
2012 K1600GT
2,244 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
3,984 and counting
I remember the LaSalle loop very well!
Was a hoot even from my view from the back (way back) of the pack!

Joe

Reactions: Gunnert

·
Premium Member
8,117 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
11,951m
I could easily add another 5 to that list.
Highway 65 over Grand Mesa
Hwy 92 from Crawford to Blue Mesa Reservoir
Guanella Pass road from Georgetown to Grant
Highway 141 from Whitewater to Naturita
145 from Ridgway to Cortez over Lizard Head pass.

And then there is ........................

·
Texas Thorn
2,603 Posts
all good roads Duane! Y'all be careful up there.

Don't forget Pagosa to South Fork, then north over Slumgullion Pass to Gunnison.......

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
10,000 mi
Yep, some really nice roads. Good luck with summer tourist traffic. When @Arizona Jim and I were riding from Durango to Silverton and then to Ouray, we were doing a lot of precision passing to keep any pace.

Enjoy the adventure!

·
Mr.Fix It
9,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
all good roads Duane! Y'all be careful up there.

Don't forget Pagosa to South Fork, then north over Slumgullion Pass to Gunnison.......
We'll be coming into Pagosa Springs along that route to include the Grand Mesa.

Duane

·
Registered
879 Posts
Check out the Mokie Dugway just north of Mexican Hat ,Utah if your in the area and get the chance. Great views to the east into western Colorado . FYI it’s gravel part of the way up but you won’t have a problem.

Reactions: amorley

·
Mr.Fix It
9,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Check out the Mokie Dugway just north of Mexican Hat ,Utah if your in the area and get the chance. Great views to the east into western Colorado . FYI it’s gravel part of the way up but you won’t have a problem.
Yep, we'll be riding Mokie Dugway the second day in Moab.

Duane

·
Registered
879 Posts
Yep, we'll be riding Mokie Dugway the second day in Moab.
Sky Ecoregion Mountain Bedrock Mountainous landforms
Sky Mountain Natural landscape Bedrock Terrain
Sky Mountain Natural landscape Terrain Bedrock
Brown Sky Bedrock Natural landscape Outcrop

Duane
About 3/4 up pull over to the side of road ( small parking area on left side) climb over a few small boulders and walk out to the point over looking the Valley of the Gods. You can thank me later.;)
Plant Sky Plant community Ecoregion Mountain

·
Premium Member
8,117 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
11,951m
I talked Duane into giving the Moki Dugway a whirl. It will be interesting to hear what Carolynne has to say about the ride although she is used to Duane's antics on the bike so she'll be OK. Plus she was a tough RCMP or was that Andy's wife?

·
Boom
751 Posts
Hwy 92 from Crawford to Blue Mesa Reservoir
Extending north from Crawford to Hotchkiss, then north on Hwy 133 past Mount Sopris to Carbondale is a great road.

Sadly, Blue Mesa Reservoir is currently 60 feet below normal water levels for this time of the year. We've been getting some good rains this past week or so and the fire restrictions have all been lifted in the Pikes Peak front range area, but we need a lot more of this for a long time to come...

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
10,000 mi
Extending north from Crawford to Hotchkiss, then north on Hwy 133 past Mount Sopris to Carbondale is a great road.

Sadly, Blue Mesa Reservoir is currently 60 feet below normal water levels for this time of the year. We've been getting some good rains this past week or so and the fire restrictions have all been lifted in the Pikes Peak front range area, but we need a lot more of this for a long time to come...
@Arizona Jim introduced me to Hwy 133 riding south from Carbondale to Paonia (BMW TOR Rally). It is a great riding road, and beautiful country.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I talked Duane into giving the Moki Dugway a whirl. It will be interesting to hear what Carolynne has to say about the ride although she is used to Duane's antics on the bike so she'll be OK. Plus she was a tough RCMP or was that Andy's wife?
When you look over the valley it really puts you in your place. How small we are. What’s really great you will most likely have the whole place to yourself. Dang wish I was going. I love red rock Utah.

·
Premium Member
8,117 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
11,951m
CO 306 - Cottonwood Pass. Buena Vista to Almont.
I keep forgetting that it is paved ( I think all the way). We use to dirt bike in the Taylor Park Reservoir area but came in from Gunnison.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm heading west in a couple of weeks for 13 days of riding in Colorado and Utah. I'm trailering my GT and @FloRider GT to Denver. Gary on his GTL will be tagging along for the trip. Another friend of mine on an RT, will be meeting us in Denver. @MountainGT is joining us in Utah and @Arizona Jim and his wife will meet us in Pagosa Springs, CO. Couple of days ago I stumbled on a youtube video describing 5 of the best Colorado rides for 2022. Coincidently we will doing all of these rides on this trip. Just thought I'd share the video. FWIW, we've ridden most of these rides and, of course, others will be included on this trip. We will be spending 3 days in Moab and can't wait to ride @J-Luv favorite ride there, the Lasalle Loop, again. :)

Duane
I keep forgetting that it is paved ( I think all the way). We use to dirt bike in the Taylor Park Reservoir area but came in from Gunnison.

Duane

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’ve always thought the road between Gunnison-Lake City-Creede was one of the best kept secrets regarding Colorado riding roads. I think going west-east is the better route, very dramatic coming out of Lake City. One reason it’s not well known is because it doesn’t “go” anywhere; it’s way out of the way, but magnificent ride. You gotta wanna go there. The Cannibal Grill in lake city is pretty good, named after a guide who ate his charges when they ran out eats. 🤮

1 - 20 of 29 Posts