BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the wife and kids went to Disney, I decided to work on my comfort with riding again. Left my house at about 8:30 with a vintage toy shop 3 hours away as my destination. It's pretty much interstate and limited access roads the whole way. From there, I headed to Black Mountain, NC for lunch at Phil's BBQ. Great place if you are ever in the vicinity of Asheville. From there, I decided to go see Mt. Mitchell. Took the Blue Ridge Parkway there. After a really short stop at the top, I told the Nav to take me home. This lead me further down the BRP to NC80, with a 45MPH limit that is probably 10 MPH higher than you'll get for most of it. Got back to I40 just west of Hickory. Hit construction before Greensboro and spent about an hour watching the temp gauge climb, but never max. Got home about 2 hours after I intended. Total miles: 525. Riding time: 8:36, Rest 2:05.

I feel more comfortable riding, from an emotional standpoint. No super close calls, but still a little tense with oncoming traffic on 2 lane roads. Blind hairpin turns weren't helping. Physically, I'm wondering if I need to add more rest time in there in order to cover more distance. I didn't stop from 1:30 to 8, with the exception of a visit to a porta john at the summit, and gas on the way home. I was pretty uncomfortable the last half hour. Some of my legs for the rally ride are 600 miles. Not sure I can push it that far. I'm trying to avoid riding in the dark as much as possible - haven't been able to get over that just yet. I suppose leaving at dawn will help conserve daylight and extend the riding day, with more breaks.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Well, sounds like you got most of it covered on your own. Only thing I can possibly add is to ride within your own skill level. Blind hairpins will always be a hazardous situation just slow down a tad and make sure you keep yourself safe in a safe situation away from the center line. On coming traffic is just awareness, if you see a vehicle start moving for the center line shift over to your right and give the idiot plenty of room. I've been in situations where on a 2 lane road a group of oncoming bikes decided to pass and I was approaching @ 85 MPH. Without even thinking I just slowed down pulled as far to the right as possible and when we crossed paths they were still in the process of passing the car. That happened twice on the same road in the same day. I didn't get upset I didn't give them the finger I just shook my head knowing they were idiots and got back up to 85 and on my way. Slowing down and finding your escape route is always a better choice than trying to beat someone to a closing hole.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts