BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I’m leaning toward the Jurock windshield as a replacement for the CalSci that I’ve been using, (long story short; really great function, but the poor fit messed up the paint on the mounting plate, I’m not a fan) and my question is regarding the models with the flip/spoiler on the top edge. Have any of you guys found these things to cause more turbulence/buffeting/noise on your helmet vs say, a non flip windshield with these bikes? I’m mostly concerned about this with the shield in the low position, as I like having some wind in my face, so I often ride with my helmet visor open and the shield in its lowest position, and in my opinion, the best thing about the CalSci was it’s smooth, quiet airflow no matter the adjusted height or speed, and if a flip shield catches the helmet in some weird way it’s gonna be a no go.

My only real experience with a flip type shield was a windvest on my road glide, and I pretty much hated it to the point that it lasted 2 rides before ending up on Craigslist. I know it’s a different bike and it was a non adjustable/non laminar flow deal like the K has, but it kinda soured me on that design, even though I do think it looks pretty sharp. I’ve seen the many positive reviews on the Jurock here, and I’m probably going to pull the trigger on one, just trying to decide if it’s flip or no flip for me. Appreciate the opinions in advance :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 7Jurock windshield with a flip top. No extra turbulence or noise that I could discern over that of the stock windshield. The potential consideration you don't mention is that the flip adds a bit of optical distortion that you may or may not have an issue with

·
Registered
402 Posts
I cannot imagine how your CalSci screen interferes with your paintwork? I can only assume it's not the right fitment for the bike, there is plenty of clearance round mine and it fits in exactly the same way as the OE one - it may be worth checking?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I have a 7Jurock windshield with a flip top. No extra turbulence or noise that I could discern over that of the stock windshield. The potential consideration you don't mention is that the flip adds a bit of optical distortion that you may or may not have an issue with
Thank you. I have considered the added distortion, and I remember the windvest having it, but I don’t think it’ll be much of an issue for me since I never look through the screen. Appreciate the advice

I cannot imagine how your CalSci screen interferes with your paintwork? I can only assume it's not the right fitment for the bike, there is plenty of clearance round mine and it fits in exactly the same way as the OE one - it may be worth checking?
In the of the center the windshield mount, between the bolts that hold it on there’s a definite rub mark on both the shield and on the black metal plate, there’s also paint missing from the pieces that it actually bolts to. Those aren’t a big deal to me because you can’t see them, but that one in the center you can. It’s always been a close fit there, so I’m speculating that the shape of the shield must’ve “settled“ just enough over time to make contact. I take the shield off every so often to get a good cleaning underneath it, last time I did this I noticed the rub. Now I can’t stop noticing it, lol

edit: as far as I can tell from CalSci’s website it is the correct fitment, it looks just like what’s on their K1600 page. It’s just a little too close on my bike

edit again: I’ve had this shield for almost two years, and it had been fine; close, but still fine, until this last cleaning. That‘s why I’m guessing the shape of the shield must’ve changed just enough to make contact with the bracket, because it didn’t before.

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
My Cal-Sci windshield also make contact on the center part of the windshield mount. I've dremeled the mounting holes a little wider and added nylon washers under the holes. This fixed it for awhile, but it is rubbing again now.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My Cal-Sci windshield also make contact on the center part of the windshield mount. I've dremeled the mounting holes a little wider and added nylon washers under the holes. This fixed it for awhile, but it is rubbing again now.
I’ve thought about doing something like this with plastic or rubber washers as a spacer, for now I went back to the stock shorty screen. How long did the washers help for?

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have the 7Jurock B Style with the flip on my 2018 GTL. It’s 24” tall & the light grey & no vent. It’s a vast improvement over the stock shield in my mind. Turbulence & wind noise are way down. I have over 1K on it with about 75% highway miles. If I was to do it again I would probably go with a 22” instead of the 24”. I am 6’ tall & good looking :ROFLMAO: . Some minor distortion in the flip area but I am use to it now. It’s a keeper.

·
Preema
1,048 Posts
I have the 19" 7Jurock with the lip (flip). I also love to ride with the screen all the way down, especially on those balmy autumn evenings and love mine. No turbulence or buffeting concerns at all.

Reactions: Czarcasm

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the 7Jurock B Style with the flip on my 2018 GTL. It’s 24” tall & the light grey & no vent. It’s a vast improvement over the stock shield in my mind. Turbulence & wind noise are way down. I have over 1K on it with about 75% highway miles. If I was to do it again I would probably go with a 22” instead of the 24”. I am 6’ tall & good looking :ROFLMAO: . Some minor distortion in the flip area but I am use to it now. It’s a keeper.
I have the 19" 7Jurock with the lip (flip). I also love to ride with the screen all the way down, especially on those balmy autumn evenings and love mine. No turbulence or buffeting concerns at all.
Thanks for the input guys. Looks like it’s unanimous so far :)

·
Registered
590 Posts
I had a 19" on my B with the flip. It worked great, although I should have gotten a 21 or 22" shield, as I had to raise to more then I wanted to, and still it was below my line of sight. I am 5'10 if the helps any.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I enjoy my jurock B With flip. Think it’s a 26” with vent. I am a good 6’3” in with the screen all the way down I am looking about 2 to 3 inches over the top edge. I do get a little turbulence but if I lift the screen up an inch and a half I can still look over it and it’s smooth the flow over me. I do sit on an air hawk seat cover which raises me up a bit , I do believe the vent tends to blow directly in my face. I got the biggest windshield I could to provide the biggest bubble for my wife. HTH

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I had a 19" on my B with the flip. It worked great, although I should have gotten a 21 or 22" shield, as I had to raise to more then I wanted to, and still it was below my line of sight. I am 5'10 if the helps any.
Thanks for the helpful reply, my CalSci is 22”, so I figured at 6’1 I’d probably be in that area with this one, but maybe I’ll consider going taller.

I enjoy my jurock B With flip. Think it’s a 26” with vent. I am a good 6’3” in with the screen all the way down I am looking about 2 to 3 inches over the top edge. I do get a little turbulence but if I lift the screen up an inch and a half I can still look over it and it’s smooth the flow over me. I do sit on an air hawk seat cover which raises me up a bit , I do believe the vent tends to blow directly in my face. I got the biggest windshield I could to provide the biggest bubble for my wife. HTH
Thanks for the input. Do you ride with the shield in the low position often?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I prefer to look over it. coming from a goldwing I am used to looking through it but I enjoy a smooth breeze. if we are riding 2up on the highway 80mph I will put it all the way up. If I look through it full up there is almost no distortion. 2/3s up it is quite noticeable but tolerable.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just wanted to update this thread, and thank everyone who gave their input. After some hemming and hawing, I ordered a 19” with flip from 7Jurock which I received this morning. I chose the 19 for a couple of reasons, mainly because I like some wind in my face, and because it gets pretty hot here, so I wanted the option of getting more airflow with the shield all the way down. After the first ride, I think this thing is a keeper. I’m at 6’1” with around a 33” inseam, (also like puppies and long walks on the beach, lol) and at the lowest position the wind starts to really hit me right around collarbone height, which I think will give me enough airflow when it’s hot out. At freeway speeds I can raise it enough to get the airflow over my helmet and still have an inch or so of adjustment left. Again, this seems like it’ll work for me, because I don’t like looking through a shield, and at full height it’s right around nose level. More time will tell, but if I do decide to go with a taller one, it’ll likely be a Jurock, for now it seems like it’ll be what I wanted. Thanks again to everyone who chimed in, it was much appreciated :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts