BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Mr.Fix It
9,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received the below email from BMW Motoradd:

Dear Duane,

thank you very much for your email to Dr. Schramm.

On behalf of Dr. Schramm I would like to answer your question regarding ACC for the K1600.

As you know the basis and the architecture of the K1600 bikes is more than 10 years old.

We have investigated the integration of ACC to the bike very intense and deep and come to the conclusion that the necessary changes to the architecture would be significant and enormous. Beside the integration of the necessary sensors and the impact to the design we would have to develop a completely new braking system (full integral ABS). Additionally we would have to modify the Duolever front suspension system. So overall we came to the conclusion that the necessary changes and the development efforts are in an unfavorable ratio and that at the end would lead to an unacceptable price for most of the customers for the ACC in this bike.

So we are very happy to hear that you are a fan of the K1600GT, perhaps we can convince you of the new features we have included in the new K1600 bikes.

Thank you very much and ride safely,

Best regards,

Wolfgang

·
Premium Member
3,256 Posts
Hmmmm…I accept that explanation bc what do I know. I’m not a huge fan of ACC anyway. I guess all those changes were easier to make on an RT, which seems odd in the face of the explanation re: the Ks.

·
Registered
663 Posts
ACC doesn't sound like something I'd be interested in anyway and we've all ridden and survived without ACC this long so I guess we can continue to survive without it. I really think some electronic riders aids are worthwhile but I also think there's a such thing as to much technology where it's there just for the sake of it being there and doesn't add to the riding experience, significantly improve safety just increases cost.

·
Mr.Fix It
9,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ACC doesn't sound like something I'd be interested in anyway and we've all ridden and survived without ACC this long so I guess we can continue to survive without it. I really think some electronic riders aids are worthwhile but I also think there's a such thing as to much technology where it's there just for the sake of it being there and doesn't add to the riding experience, significantly improve safety just increases cost.
I get your comments and they echo that of many others. Similar to what many said when other innovations were first released/announced; e.g. cruise control, ABS brakes, Fuel injection/ECU, power steering, interval windshield wipers, etc, etc. I want it on my next K bike. I agree with you in that I too don't think it will "add to the riding experience". I consider ACC an added safety feature. If the mother ship doesn't add it by next year I'll be in the market for a used '22 K1600GT. :)

Duane

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I get your comments and they echo that of many others. Similar to what many said when other innovations were first released/announced; e.g. cruise control, ABS brakes, Fuel injection/ECU, power steering, interval windshield wipers, etc, etc. I want it on my next K bike. I agree with you in that I too don't think it will "add to the riding experience". I consider ACC an added safety feature. If the mother ship doesn't add it by next year I'll be in the market for a used '22 K1600GT. :)

Duane
Well, that seems pretty much guaranteed......

I'm sure you've already thought about this -- what method will you use to mound the Zumo XT to the bike? I'm assuming that using the BMW Connected App for any serious routing will be a non-starter.

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
At first I thought that I would be missing out on ACC if I got a new bike this year. Then I came to the conclusion that I don't think I would use it on a bike anyway.

We have ACC in both our cars. I do use it and enjoy it. I consider myself a darn good driver, but the state has a different opinion. So I use it to moderate my speed, and ensure I'm not going faster than traffic. Now my wife actually complains that I'm not driving fast enough. Go figure.

But a bike is different. I go around cars and don't like sitting in traffic anyway. ACC tends to keep you far from the traffic in front of you, and we use different judgements on a bike. Even if traffic is moving well, It's safer to move around traffic and not sit in one spot relative to traffic, IMHO.

Also shocked at a response.

·
Premium Member
7,819 Posts
I think ACC would be nice if you’re traveling with 1 or more bikes. It would keep the string spaced evenly and eliminate the “slinky” effect of catching up to the guy ahead of you then falling back.
While riding alone I’d rather be in complete control in traffic.
With that said my wife’s KIA has it and when traveling on a multi lane expressway in California it’s kind of nice.

·
Premium Member
2018 K1600GTL
468 Posts
Translation: the 1600 won’t be around long enough for that much of an investment.

Why else would the most expensive, flagship touring bike not get it?

BTW, both of our cars have it and I hate it.
Because it’s not needed. I drive a tractor/trailer for a living and use a Kenworth which has it and I absolutely hate it! I absolutely don’t want it on my motorcycle. Nanny State multiplied

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
We have ACC on my wife's RDX. The biggest issue is that if you leave 1 car lengths ahead of you, somebody is going to fill that space. The process continues over and over. On a bike I want to control the space around me, even if that means being a ass sometimes.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
I love it on cars, I'm not looking to upgrade anytime soon, and the RT's are just a bit small for me, but if it was offered on a K16 I'd certainly change my mind on upgrading. Sooner or later it'll be offered on GS/GSA's to compete with KTM's and Multistrada's, that might just be enough to get me to ride a boxer.

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
The k16 is due for a major update/ redesign I believe. Not just he minor BS in 17 or the newest version. Complete overhaul. But there just isn’t enough interest in a big sport tourer anymore I think. I’ll hang onto my 2016 for a while, at least till my arthritis says otherwise.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Prices for the K have already gone up pretty much to include ACC for standard, use it or not.
New orders of RT looks like that you cant order ACC due to component shortage.
Lets see k1600 2023???

·
International Man of Mystery
4,077 Posts
The answer Duane got, is in line with the information folks learned over here through a contact to the engineering team during a trade show. When you look at the potential location for an ACC, you find it occupied by the oil cooler and the massive head light assembly. I didn't know that changes to the front suspension and a completely new brake system are part of the integration.
What we have now is the climax of the K48 program which will be in production for a few more years before it will ride into the sunset without another major redesign.
Thanks @Gunnert for making the effort.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts