BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have it on my 2022 R1250RT Triple Black and absolutely love it. I also have it on my F150 and it is a wonderful technology on it as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My 2021 R 1250 RT didn't come with ACC but I've just had it retrofitted and like you, I absolutely love it!
Interestingly, a lot of the Youtube vloggers when first testing the brand new (2021) 1250RT with the then brand new to motorcycles, ACC were very sceptical about it but generally changed their minds and came away convinced it was a useful option after trying it.
Such a shame the K1600 is not going to get it, probably the best tourer in the BMW lineup and no ACC option, that is not good.

I'd go further and say that BMW should also be offering on their premium models "blind spot monitoring" by fitting a rear radar sensor like Ducati has done.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I'd go further and say that BMW should also be offering on their premium models "blind spot monitoring" by fitting a rear radar sensor like Ducati has done.
My father was a driver's education instructor for as many years as I can remember. His statement when changing lanes, "Do a quick head check", meaning turn your head to the side to see if anything is there. Technology is a wonderful thing, but what if the blind spot monitor isn't showing a vehicle there and you make a lane change without looking? That's going to leave a mark.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
I would offer those that dismiss ACC on two wheels just haven’t had the experience and enjoyment of riding with it. I was also skeptical but once having it, not sure I would buy a new touring bike without it.
As Gunnert notes it is a safety tool while also a huge convenience and enjoyment feature. Use does not mean you can ignore normal way of riding but it negates fiddling with the controls or closing really fast on a braking vehicle with cruise set at”75”. Easy to say that won’t happen etc but until you have set a safe distance behind traffic on, say 81 in Virginia, at 70 mph and not have to deal with yo yo speeds of 50 to 80 that is the usual during the day, you’ll never know what you are missing.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
On a recent trip with a couple of friends on bikes I took my new car with ACC and lane keeping assist and I used it to keep pace with them on the interstates. They were not using cruise control so I set mine on 78 mph (fastest speed that they hit) and it always adapted to what speed they dropped down to (sometimes they got down to 55 in traffic). It was a lot easier than me having to constantly keep a minimum safe distance.

So group riding like this would likely be good place to use it to just follow someone and go at whatever speed they are going but if you like to drive at a fixed speed, it becomes a pain when you encounter drivers who cannot maintain any sort of speed discipline (for whatever reason). As already noted, it can be a pain in traffic too.

I would like to have the option to turn it off and just have the old fashioned cruise control when needed but the last 2 cars that I have had did not have this option. Not sure what they are doing on bikes with respect to being able to turn off the adaptive part of the cruise control.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Translation: the 1600 won’t be around long enough for that much of an investment.

Why else would the most expensive, flagship touring bike not get it?

BTW, both of our cars have it and I hate it.
Totally agree with the quote in bold. I've been thinking about a new GTL and researching the BMW-ACC. My findings agree with the subject of this thread. Brakes and suspension appear to be the detractors. I understand BMW's liability behind the brakes. I have no idea why the front suspension (other than the space it takes?) has anything to do with ACC.

However, since every major tourer in the land has or its about to have ACC (i.e Honda GW), a new variation/model of the 1600 (perhaps M 1800?) would be logically expected in the very near future. This one most probably will have electronically controlled front suspension in addition to ACC, fully linked front-rear brakes and an actually working BMW Connect with CarPlay (high hopes there!!!!)

Incidentally, I do have ACC on my car and I do drive with it on as much as I can. I wouldnt use ACC under the same conditions as I do while driving but nevertheless it would be a useful thing to have when you would need it. I see no reason or excuse not having one on a bike that has everything else on it.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
On a recent trip with a couple of friends on bikes I took my new car with ACC and lane keeping assist and I used it to keep pace with them on the interstates. They were not using cruise control so I set mine on 78 mph (fastest speed that they hit) and it always adapted to what speed they dropped down to (sometimes they got down to 55 in traffic). It was a lot easier than me having to constantly keep a minimum safe distance.

So group riding like this would likely be good place to use it to just follow someone and go at whatever speed they are going but if you like to drive at a fixed speed, it becomes a pain when you encounter drivers who cannot maintain any sort of speed discipline (for whatever reason). As already noted, it can be a pain in traffic too.

I would like to have the option to turn it off and just have the old fashioned cruise control when needed but the last 2 cars that I have had did not have this option. Not sure what they are doing on bikes with respect to being able to turn off the adaptive part of the cruise control.
I know on KTM and pretty sure the RT, you can use either adaptive or normal cruise.

This thread also reminded me that adaptive isn’t just for open highway. I have literally set my following distance on single lane that was busy with traffic and used adaptive in stop and go traffic. You can also change gears while adaptive is on..nifty feature, especially with a quick shifter.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I know on KTM and pretty sure the RT, you can use either adaptive or normal cruise.

This thread also reminded me that adaptive isn’t just for open highway. I have literally set my following distance on single lane that was busy with traffic and used adaptive in stop and go traffic. You can also change gears while adaptive is on..nifty feature, especially with a quick shifter.
If you lived in California and had legal access to lane splitting, would you be as high as you are on ACC?

·
Registered
71 Posts
My father was a driver's education instructor for as many years as I can remember. His statement when changing lanes, "Do a quick head check", meaning turn your head to the side to see if anything is there. Technology is a wonderful thing, but what if the blind spot monitor isn't showing a vehicle there and you make a lane change without looking? That's going to leave a mark.
I would not disagree with any of that and in my 50 plus years riding motorcycles that has kept me safe and I will continue doing just that.
We should not however IMHO disregard anything that contributes to making riding safer.(y)

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
I actually think they have ACC wrong on cars, at least BMWs. They have this how far to keep away from the car in front option. I would like to setup engine braking at distance 3 and brakes at position 1. How often when you drive along do you realise that engine braking is enough, no need to brake at all.

I don't understand why they couldn't use engine braking only on the K, I find ACC useful only in traffic with reduced speed, e.g. Roadworks. I often sit in slow traffic on cruise and then use the cruise button to adjust my speed depending on the conditions ahead, never touching the brakes.

Also because of all the speed cameras nowadays I often just set the limiter and neither use ACC or cruise. It would be good if they could add the limiter to the bike.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts

I believe the option to choose CC vs ACC is available in the menu, I haven’t done it but it is listed in the manual.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
If you lived in California and had legal access to lane splitting, would you be as high as you are on ACC?
Sorry, but I just don't understand a question like this. Obviously one would not use ACC when lane splitting but it still could have it uses when not lane splitting, IMHO. Although, after having lived in Southern California a couple of years, I appreciate you probably lane split 16-17 hours of the day. :)

A question to all that do not like ACC, be it in a car or motorbike. Would that prevent you from buying a car or motorbike you really want if ACC is standard equipment? AFAIK it is not required to use ACC if fitted. (If, like one mentioned, ACC prevents "normal" CC I would probably have second thoughts myself since I use CC all the time.)

·
International Man of Mystery
4,070 Posts
My 2021 BMW 530 is equipped with the ACC combined with collision warning systems. As much as I like the comfort it provides when driving bumper to bumper I hate the sudden, unprovoked brake applications for not apparent reason. Moreover, when approaching a car in the distance the system keeps a fairly high speed and decelerates way later than I feel comfortable with. A solution is to increase the control distance to the maximum, but this encourages other drives to use up the space. Then the system in principle has a problem to detect a car getting into your lane quickly enough and when it does, it hits the brakes rather hard.
I assume the bike systems being new are in no better development state and if so, thank you very much but no.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Wow..if my ACC functioned like that on my Toyota or on the bike..I doubt I would be a fan either!!

I think after all the responses to Gunnerts initial post, you actually hit upon the most important point..it’s all about the implementation!!

(Of note , it is not some cure all or a function I use 90% of a ride and my responses may lead one to beleive I just set and snooze 💤 on a sunny day!! Lol)

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
If, like one mentioned, ACC prevents "normal" CC I would probably have second thoughts myself since I use CC all the time.
So far, I have owned 3 vehicles with ACC: #1 was a Yukon and I could select ACC or normal CC; #2 was also a Yukon and I had not option - it was ACC or nothing; #3 is a Genesis and it is ACC or nothing as well.

#1 didn't have active lane keeping so I suspect that it might be more difficult for the manufacturers to incorporate this feature along with normal cruise control but that is just a guess on my part.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Sorry, but I just don't understand a question like this. Obviously one would not use ACC when lane splitting but it still could have it uses when not lane splitting, IMHO. Although, after having lived in Southern California a couple of years, I appreciate you probably lane split 16-17 hours of the day. :)
I don't lane split 16-17 hours a day :) but I do a lot of lane splitting beyond stereotypical heavy traffic. In instances where ACC would kick in and slow me down, I'll continue lane splitting at higher speed. Many years of freeway commuting in nasty SoCal traffic taught me a valuable lesson -- being stuck between cars/trucks is one of the most dangerous positions to be in. I always want to be moving forward at a pace of my choosing. I'm able to make real time avoidance decisions without fear of being rear ended. I'm convinced this technique helped keep me alive over the 100,000+ commuting miles I put it in practice.

Still, I appreciate where @Gunnert and some others are coming from. I wouldn't try to convince them otherwise, especially if I lived outside California.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don't lane split 16-17 hours a day :) but I do a lot of lane splitting beyond stereotypical heavy traffic. In instances where ACC would kick in and slow me down, I'll continue lane splitting at higher speed. Many years of freeway commuting in nasty SoCal traffic taught me a valuable lesson -- being stuck between cars/trucks is one of the most dangerous positions to be in. I always want to be moving forward at a pace of my choosing. I'm able to make real time avoidance decisions without fear of being rear ended. I'm convinced this technique helped keep me alive over the 100,000+ commuting miles I put it in practice.

Still, I appreciate where @Gunnert and some others are coming from. I wouldn't try to convince them otherwise, especially if I lived outside California.
If what you are saying is that you want to lane split while using cruise control, just hold down the ACC button for a second which will disengage the "active" part leaving the cruise control functioning like normal cruise control then you can re-engage "active" again when you are finished splitting or you can just leave it off.

You can choose between active and normal cruise at any time on the BMW system.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
If what you are saying is that you want to lane split while using cruise control, just hold down the ACC button for a second which will disengage the "active" part leaving the cruise control functioning like normal cruise control then you can re-engage "active" again when you are finished splitting or you can just leave it off.

You can choose between active and normal cruise at any time on the BMW system.
What I'm saying is that in the environment I live in and ride in most of the time, ACC has limited value -- at best. When I'm around a lot of other cars, I want zero distractions. I'm at heightened alert and want complete control. In these situations, I intentionally don't listen to music, and don't want to play with buttons or anything else. For me, ACC and any environments where lane splitting is in play are totally incompatible.

There were several instances on my recent trip across the US where ACC could have been useful. Riding on I-20 and I-40, there were too many times where a big-rig would suddenly jump into the fast lane to get around other slow truck traffic, requiring me to quickly disengage my normal cruise control. It would have been convenient to have ACC manage those situations.

But my original question was about lane splitting and ACC compatibility. Again, in that world, I personally don't see much value. It's always good to explore where a feature works well, and where it doesn't.

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
Have not owned a vehicle with ACC, but have driven several rentals with it installed. I kind of like having it in a cage, but not something I would want (especially pay extra for) on a motorcycle. Primarily because about the only 'following distance' setting I thought was actually safe was the furthest distance available. The other settings were too close and had me tailgaiting (in my opinion) way too close to the vehicle in front of me. Even the furthest distance was a bit to "crowded" at 80 mph.

Reactions: JohnS1955
21 - 40 of 44 Posts