BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like the title says friends, can we use beads in the tires?
I live in a small town and the shops can change the rear tire easy enough, but can’t balance because of the single sided mounting design of the wheel.
With those things rattling around inside will they effect the sensor function?

· Registered
2013 GTL
2,394 Posts
I live in a small town and the shops can change the rear tire easy enough, but can’t balance because of the single sided mounting design of the wheel.
You can.

· May My Blackberry Rest In Peace
4,596 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
I have used them and they do work.

BUT, with the next tire change it is messy. Your installer will not be happy.

It is easy to balance the rear tire with an adapter.

· Registered
1,527 Posts
With the rear wheel, any automotive tire shop can R&R the tire, and balance the wheel on their computerized balancer. Just tell them ahead of time what the rim is worth, and have their most experienced tech work on it. There should be plastic (shoes) they use on the tire changing machine to not scratch the wheel.
I’ve been going to an automotive shop for my rear tire changes for over 60k miles.

· Mr.Fix It
9,835 Posts
I have no issue dynamic balancing the rear on our tire balancer.

The front, I static balance and throw 2oz of beads before setting the bead. Putting them in through the valve stem is a pita
If you static balance the front why are you adding beads?

Duane

· Premium Member
2022 K1600GT
152 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
If you static balance the front why are you adding beads?

Duane
I do my own tires, and since it's easy enough, I figure it gives me a bit more of a “dynamic” balance that adjusts itself over the life of the tire. I can actually recover a majority of the beads when I dismount the tire and reuse them.
I'm definitely not an advocate. More of the “it can't hurt” camp.

I have tried all sorts of adapters on our dynamic balancer for the front wheel and nothing works.

· Mr.Fix It
9,835 Posts
@Kenlavine , I agree it can't hurt... But, just to be clear WRT your front wheel you are using lead weights on the outside and dyna beads on the inside to balance?

Duane

• Wow
Reactions: josephdfrick

· Premium Member
2022 K1600GT
152 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
@Kenlavine , I agree it can't hurt... But, just to be clear WRT your front wheel you are using lead weights on the outside and dyna beads on the inside to balance?

Duane
Yes.
It had been my experience on my 2015, when I was running Michelin tires, that the beads alone couldn't overcome the imbalance caused by the TPMS/tire combo.

I put a set of the Road Smart 3’s on my ‘22 and only needed a 1/2 oz lead weight for static balance and put the beads inside for the heck of it. I don't think I would have put them in if I didn't already have them.

· Registered
384 Posts
2022 MI/KM:
nevermind your distance; ride for the sheer joy of riding!
@Dene B , just a thought... You may want to consider balancing your own wheels. For a little less than $200 can you get a static balance stand, Marc Parnes Adapters, and wheel weights.

Duane
I’d love to learn to do my own tires. May be a good project for the fall/winter.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts