BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Twitter today from the official account @BMWMotorrad :
"In the future, active cruise control will be integrated into several bikes starting with the #K1600GT !"

acc and Active Cruise Control (ACC) - technology in detail

So if this is official, there could still be a 2021 model year update (new TFT instrument panel?) despite rumors production will end because of Euro5 emission standards being implemented next year?

·
Registered
409 Posts
This sounds encouraging and interesting to have active cruise control on a motorcycle, definitely a feature that takes getting used to

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
166 Posts
Would be sweet, if they sold the sensor and did a firmware update to tie it into older bikes. I have it on my Kona Electric and just love it, especially in stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
122 Posts
ACC is a feature that initially I thought I dont need but after using it for a while I came to the realization that I miss it if its not there. This has been my experience with the ACC in my car.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
I have ACC in my pickup and love it. The first time it senses deceleration in front of you and automatically pounds on the breaks it is.... an experience. I don’t know how I’d feel about that on the bike. 🤔 ok, I’d probably love to have one more bell and whistle lol

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I have to go against the grain on this one. I don't like active cruise control. It drives me nuts when I look down and realize I'm going ten miles under the speed limit because the yahoo in front of me is. I prefer to hit the brakes, if need be, or pass. The only circumstance I can think of in which I'd like the ACC is if I had to follow someone else for a good distance.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I'll take credit for BMW adding this. 🤠I posted I wanted ACC just this month.

Even though I know how drive (and like most folks, am way above average(y)), I like my nanny items like cruise control, TPMS, ABS (like that reassuring feel so much I intentionally engage it when approaching stop lights), rain and dynamic modes, etc.

I am still waiting for an dual transmission before I considering upgrading from my 2012. I'd even like a self-driving model.

Not every ride is fun-filled twisty road or relaxing scenic views. Sometimes it is just a congested, stop and go, clusterf* of a 12 lane Atlanta interstate in the middle of a thunderstorm with a fogged up face shield. :(

·
Premium Member
3,080 Posts
need to talk to my dealer. My impression was that they had serious doubts about a 2021 K1600 which triggered my order for a loaded 2020. Would be pretty pissed if I get an outdated model July this year. If need be I cancel the order and reorder a 2021.

·
Registered
67 Posts
While I understand this new offering it is not something I would want / use on a Motorcyle. As it is I only turn cruise control on to momentarily do something with my right hand (open/close right vent, do some stretching exercises for the wrist on a long ride, waive to a rider on my right as I pass). Really only on for a few seconds.

In CA we can split lanes so we don’t need it for stop and go traffic. Also we are (per CHP and DMV handbook) supposed to ride safely slightly faster than the flow of traffic. Thus I’m always passing vehicles. How would I pass if the ACC consistency slowed the bike down?

Too many variables. What if CC is on and I hit a bump in a curve that upsets the suspension. Without CC I let off throttle or get on it or adjust for it moments before if I see the vehicle in front of me bounce, or I use brakes etc. I realize any input while on CC will override CC but not being able to anticipate and have more direct input would bug me.

In a car I enjoy ACC in stop and go traffic. Especially those cars that can come to a compete stop and continue once traffic flows. But given in a motorcycle I’d have to put feet down and up or one leg or go around something or not want to stop in an oily spot etc. I guess I just prefer having as much control as possible.

CC is just an added variable I don’t want to deal with. I think we’ve all let off the throttle thinking we are going to engine brake then CC kicks in at the speed you had set it. Since you accelerated you took control of the bike but when you let off and thinks you still want to go the speed you set it at. Annoying in my opinion.

·
Registered
69 Posts
While I'm not a fan of ACC I'm happy to hear of a possible update to the K1600 in 2021, let's hope they have some nice colors to go with it.

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Count me on the dislike of ACC. Have it in wife's car. Normally, I set cruise to speed I want, and if I approach a slower vehicle I continue at my pace and change lanes before I'm too close. ACC slows me down and I never get close enough to change lanes and pass. Or I change lanes so early I'm out there in the passing lane and feel I need to accelerate to make a quick courteous pass. Not a fan.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Count me on the dislike of ACC. Have it in wife's car. Normally, I set cruise to speed I want, and if I approach a slower vehicle I continue at my pace and change lanes before I'm too close. ACC slows me down and I never get close enough to change lanes and pass. Or I change lanes so early I'm out there in the passing lane and feel I need to accelerate to make a quick courteous pass. Not a fan.
Exactly!

Reactions: J-Luv

·
Registered
190 Posts
The OP included two links, this one seems to only be available in the EU, which suggests maybe ACC won't be introduced in the US market the first year of availability?

I have it in my car and am quite happy with it. Sometimes it's easier to not use cruise at all, or to turn off the "active" function and use it like regular cruise control. I could do that on my Lexus but am not sure I can do it on my BMW 540, though.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
need to talk to my dealer. My impression was that they had serious doubts about a 2021 K1600 which triggered my order for a loaded 2020. Would be pretty pissed if I get an outdated model July this year. If need be I cancel the order and reorder a 2021.

"However, the bigger hit is likely to emerge 12 months later, with existing models being required to comply from 1st January 2021. At the moment, there’s no word from the EU on whether firms will be allowed derogation – a period of grace to sell-off limited numbers of non-compliant old models. Under Euro 4, the EU allowed a two-year derogation period after its January 2017 enforcement date, which meant bikes like Suzuki’s non-compliant Hayabusa remained in showrooms right up until the end of 2019. No doubt there will be an increasing clamour for a similar arrangement under Euro 5 as its implementation date draws closer."

A quote taken from this long article, this "derogation" period might hold true for this evolution from Euro 4 to Euro 5. Also info out there re delays because of COVID with this transition, might be bumped until 2022.

Hard to tell what the heck is going to happen. Keep us posted on the 2021...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
The OP included two links, this one seems to only be available in the EU, which suggests maybe ACC won't be introduced in the US market the first year of availability?
I noticed as well most European countries aren't listed yet, but the homologation rules here are if it is legal in one EU country, it is in all 27 EU member countries and maybe (still) the UK. And Canada is listed already as well, but maybe the US rules take some more time for approval?

Personally I love the ACC in my car, especially for stop and go traffic, but on my bike? I can filter legally here, so no real need for ACC...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would like to add it to my 2019 Grand America. Sometimes when riding with a group, I'll use cruise and need to constantly adjust. If it happens, hopefully I'll be able to add....

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
I kinda like it on my wifes' car but it's a bit too conservative. I tend to ride just a hair faster than traffic so I don't see this rider aid being something that I really utilize because I never use cruise in traffic.

james

1 - 20 of 70 Posts