BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
New member in New England (specifically RI).

I'm looking for a new (or leftover) K1600B Grand America. None to be had in my area.
There are a few non-GA's which I would consider but my wife really likes the OEM top case on the GA.

I see several people have taken their top cases off the GA, but is there any way to add that OEM top case to the Bagger?

I searched the forum, but did not find this topic. I also searched BMW parts websites and couldn't find a complete case available.

Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks,
Mark

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
I added one to my B - it isn't easy but for me it was worthwhile for the extra storage when I travel overnight.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, that is great work.

I was hoping to get the GA specific top case designed for the B and just buy the mounting parts from BMW.

Maybe that isn’t doable.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
There is a thread about how the handling improved by removing the GA topbox

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
I was hoping to get the GA specific top case designed for the B and just buy the mounting parts from BMW.

Maybe that isn’t doable.
It might be possible but likely very expensive unless you find someone that has taken theirs off of their GA and is selling all the parts. Then you might need to get a dealer to do some programming to get the top case light to work.

Keep in mind the GA top case was not designed to be removed like all the other BMW OEM top cases (RT, GT, GTL, etc.).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is a thread about how the handling improved by removing the GA topbox
Yup, read all those and understand the downside (stability, speed limit) of the GA w/top case. I would probably keep it off for one up riding. It appears that a passenger adds stability with the top case mounted...and also dramatically decreases the probability of high speed riding.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It might be possible but likely very expensive unless you find someone that has taken theirs off of their GA and is selling all the parts. Then you might need to get a dealer to do some programming to get the top case light to work.

Keep in mind the GA top case was not designed to be removed like all the other BMW OEM top cases (RT, GT, GTL, etc.).
Yeah, seems a bit complicated. It may be that I just need to hold out for a GA...

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
@mjc999 There have been posts of members finding the model they want a far and After purchasing it they fly to ride it home or have it shipped home. If you find one at a far away dealer you could ask a K1600 member in the area to check it out for you so you don’t miss out on riding your GA this year 😀

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
116 Posts
When I bought my GA I asked about buying the OEM top case from BMW all parts if I bought the B. I got quoted five grand I told the counter guy pack sand. But recently I was at another dealer and he told me 1500

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I bought my GA I asked about buying the OEM top case from BMW all parts if I bought the B. I got quoted five grand I told the counter guy pack sand. But recently I was at another dealer and he told me 1500
Well that is certainly approaching the realm of reasonable.

On my own using the 'net, I couldn't find a part number for a fully assemble top case...just the various components.

·
Registered
116 Posts
That’s the way the dealer did it to, individual parts on the whole thing when they totaled it all up I was like flabbergasted but another dealer told me that the whole touring pack could be bought for 1500 bucks but I already had the bike and touring pack with the GA so I didn’t do any further research with him

1 - 13 of 13 Posts