BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last spring I decided to sell my other bike (a 15 Triumph Bonneville). I loved the Bonnie, had a lot of work on it with suspension and engine upgrades (I like to tinker), but was able to get very good money for it and in comparison to the GTL, well from suspension to brakes to comfort, cruise control, etc. the Bonnie had the looks but was not as great...
When the wife comes along it is always the GTL, so it had become a "solo" short rides bike. But after riding for an hour or two, the shortcomings would be evident. Since the sale I am wondering if I made a mistake, as I liked the around town rides on the Bonnie in the summer. It was much easier, lighter bike around town.
So I've been thinking of buying another bike, a naked, smaller bike with good brakes and suspension, comfortable. Something that is not made of Tupperware (my only particular gripe with the K bikes). Having cruise control and heated grips options would be very desirable for comfort. My mind wanders from a Bonneville Bobber, to a Tiger 900 (has some Tupperware) to a HD Street Bob, and many others in between. Now I just learned the 2021 R Nine Ts come with cruise control option too. I really like the idea of the air/oil cooled boxer. But these are all a fair amount of money.
I wonder if I should just instead ride the GTL without bags and topbox when I want to go solo around town, save my money and embrace Tupperware...
Those who have other road bikes and the K, do you find yourselves wanting to ride the smaller bikes over the K as well?
Thanks in advance for your comments.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
I did and I have the R1200RS. I prefer using it when I commute in the city and when I'm in stop and go traffic. Probably a little more tupperware than you might like on this model. But the R1200R is the same bike in a naked version with cruise, heated grips, and heated seats. I really love the torque on this engine. Very enjoyable second bike for solo rides.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
I have the S1000R for around town and shorter trips. Heated grips, cruise too. I like the sound and feedback of the four...and the fact it eats up twisties is a bonus. Also, should you get an itch, it gets to the same top speed neighborhood as the GT 😉

·
Registered
105 Posts
Because of the exorbitant insurance costs in BC (Canada) which are displacement based, and my limited disposable income, I've got a Kawasaki Ninja 300 for a second bike. It's loads of fun to throw around in the twisties, but certainly lacks the head snapping power of a larger displacement bike - like my GTL. I like that it's completely different than the GTL - it's light, more easily maneuverable for my stubby legs, and great to just jump on & ride

When I first got it, it was with the intention of turning it into a 'track-day toy', but that seems unlikely at this point... Unfortunately, I just don't have the funds for all the extra gear/kit I'd need to be able to do that fun & safely. I briefly considered trading it in for a small displacement enduro or adventure bike, but would then be faced with the same problem of needing a bunch more gear...

I may, eventually, trade it in for a G310R - just to keep it in the BMW family, and have something small, light and CHEAP to ride :love:

·
Registered
32 Posts
You want air/oil and low cost? What about a Victory Octane? Or any of the Victory bikes? Yeah, they aren't in business anymore but they are one **** of a bike and bullet proof.

I sold my 2009 Vic Kingpin for the Beemer....

·
Registered
554 Posts
I ride The K with the top box and no side bags most often.
if I do remove the top box it gives the Bike a much sportier feel.

Ian

·
Registered
301 Posts
Lots of good options for a second bike depending on your budget, the RNineT as well as the R1250R, would make good companion bikes to your K16 and the GS might also be a great candidate. When I wanted a second bike it had to be something totally different than my K16 so I went with a Kawasaki ZX14R and then added a R1200GS to my stable. While the BMW's are not cheap even when purchased used Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha and Honda all make great bikes like the Z900RS, MT09, and Katana to name a few that are fun to ride and can be purchased brand new for what you'd pay for a used BMW.

·
Q
5,423 Posts
My second bike is an S1000XR. Theres no comparison between it and a GT/GTL without the luggage. The K bike is still heavy even without the bags, you save what 20/25 pounds by removing them and a little lower COG. While the XR weighs 250+ pound less with the same rated HP. Fantastic bike the XR is, I love it. So much so my GTL is for sale.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've bee contemplating a second bike for a while now, the K gives me all the speed and comfort I'll ever need, but I'm fixed on something simpler, and more basic. Given our registration and insurance costs here in Oz, I've been leaning towards something smaller, the Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 has been a contender for a while now, but I just seen the first Triumph Trident at my local dealer the other day and they look really good for the price.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
I went with a Moto Guzzi V85TT for a second bike. I wanted something that I wouldn't be afraid to take off road a little bit. I really wanted an R Nine T scrambler, but after riding it I discovered it just didn't fit me. I love the Guzzi. It's a completely different bike in nearly every way. It was pretty cheap. The biggest downside is the lack of a dealer network.
4 Freedoms monument - Copy.JPG

·
Registered
213 Posts
For me, owning a K1600 comes with the necessity of owning a second bike. I own a 2020 XR, and it is an incredible bike. Comfortable enough for a long day in the canyons, yet it has so much sport bike persona and ability. Very versatile, usable and fun bike.

·
Upside Down
2,034 Posts
As most here know I just back-traded the GTL that I loved but getting parts out of BMW is getting so hard with Covid and transport by air almost none existing. I looked at the BMW GS, the Triumph Tigar 900 GT Pro, and of course, the one I just settled on was the Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE .all great bikes and around 100 kg lighter than the GTL plus they hard the comfort and power, and handling of the GTL at less than half the price. I settled on the Kawasaki because. I felt it was the best overall for comfort Price and handing. It was slightly more expensive than the Triumph Bonny 1200 but that bike was a naked bike without the wind protection I love. I don't regret buying the Kawasaki as it is everything the GTL is at half the price although I did buy the Top Case and side panniers to allow me to do the longer rides I like doing and have the security to lock my stuff in. I did the first ride on that bike yesterday taking it 643 klms and loved every min and could not find any faults with handling comfort etc plus the quick shifter is amazing so smooth, much better than my GTL ever was. If you said I would buy a bike like this before I would have said you're mad but I am converted and should have done it sooner.

·
Registered
80 Posts
First, I am excited for you because I miss being in your position. KTM 890R or KTM 790 (like me) are very light, powerful, and knimble, fun, nice sound. I have the 790 but I would STRONGLY recommend the 890r mainly due to better pulling at low rpm. Do test ride one. 2019 speed triple rs is fun, nice underseat exhaust, incredible sound stock, classic triple torque, all the kinks worked out by this year. They have just released 2021 with bigger engine but I think 2019 is plenty of everything and the 2021 exhaust is ugly, hiding single swingarm. I have a 2018 z900rs but throttle too jerky. I would love a 2020 KTM1290r. The 790r KTM does not have cruise control option, only 890r and 1290r KTM. The speed triple has cruise. Check YouTube channel of " nothingtoprove" . He does a great job reviewing bikes. Good luck and buy used [email protected]

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am lucky enough to have a 2009 F650GS as a second bike. Glad I have it for quick trips around town and trips down dirt roads and snowmobile/ATV trails. Due to some misadventure on the latter, I added crash bars... It is a very versatile bike and once I save some pennies I am going to add a top case/side bags or case. The intent is to do the Labrador Highway and come back via Newfoundland and the 650 will be and excellent bike for that trip.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
For me it would be the S1000XR or the Honda Africa Twin, both check the boxes I would want with a 1up bike

·
Premium Member
2,324 Posts
Yes! that SDGT or SDR sure are appealing for fun runs.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I ride the Ninja 1000 a lot more than any of my other bikes. The latest version (2020+) has cruise, TFT dash, quick shifter and a few other goodies that my '18 does not.

R1200/1250RS is very high on my wanted list and may end up replacing the Ninja. I like having a SPORT tourer to compliment a sport TOURER (K16GT).

If you want a fun lightweight naked runabout, you could do a lot worse than a Street Triple. I used to have a '14 Speed Triple R, and honestly I like the smaller and more agile 765R much better. My oldest son rides it a lot more than I do, but every time I get on it, it's hard not to have a silly grin in my helmet.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
I love my 20 year old Speed Triple. Its not quite as big as the new ones out there both engine size and overall, but its perfect for around town and run at the local twisties. I also have a set up for it for a weekend bug out if I so desire. I was actually thinking about the Street Triple when I was reading through the thread then seen it was already brought up, so "+1" in this regard.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts