BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been considering adding a good quality license plate frame that has additional LED running, braking and directional signals in it. If I tap into the bike's running, brake and directional wires to make this work, will I get an error message due to the Canbus system? I don't mind buying and adding a Canbus adapter if necessary, but I've seen that the Hex EZ-Can and Denali units don't mention anything about adding directional lighting. They only mention adding brake lights. Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. These adapters have a wire for adding more brake lights. What do I do about adding more directional lights? Is it simply not possible to add directionals?

·
Mr.Fix It
6,871 Posts
@pcaddict66, You need an "Isolator" to tap into the bike's system. It will have outputs for running, brake, turn signals. This is the one I use, Isolator only. I've added the LED and controls over the years. From what I've read the HEX eZCan would be the way to go for adding lights; e.g. the eZCan would/can control all the lights I've added to rear of the bike with the same functionality.

For the license plate frame I use one from Radiantz.

Here's a couple of videos from the back of my bike.

Duane

Reactions: garyculb and J-Luv

·
Steve's Brother
6,238 Posts
I tapped directly into the brake light wire and the tail light wire to add an LED ribbon to each circuit with no issues. I did this on my 2012 and 2016 bikes.

Now originally I put both ribbons on the tail light circuit and the CANbus kicked that circuit off when I started the bike. So there is a point where a little LED is OK but too much isn't liked.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow. Those all look great! Thanks for the tips! This is a huge help.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
I've added LED front indicators and just about to add LED rear indicator lights direct from the bike wiring.

I did a few experiments by adding incrementally more LEDs and you do reach the point where you get the CANBUS error.

I found the cheaper LEDs trip the CANBUS quicker (I think).

I've added a THESE (one each side) and Shrodie roundels to the front, and am in the process of adding 4 of THESE to the rear cases each side, 8 in total.

I'll post pictures when I finish it.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
I know a few of you may have seen this before but here is the rear of the bike at the moment, without the new indicators....

·
Steve's Brother
6,238 Posts
When testing my first attempt, where I put both LED ribbons in the tail light circuit, I didn't run the engine and they worked fine but...…..as soon as I started the engine the CANbus said Ney Ney.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
These are Denali B6 brake lights with one the tag and other two recessed in side cases. Nice thing about these are they get connected plug and play into the Cansmart and you can have them flash on brake, normal, flash 3 times and/or flash on bike deceleration. The day and night
brightness is fully adjustable as well. (Have right and left amber strip LEDS for turn that are not on in the pic). My other GT and previous bikes have had the narrow LEDS but they seem to get washed outon bright sunny day compared to lights with more width.

·
Registered
23 Posts
These are Denali B6 brake lights with one the tag and other two recessed in side cases. Nice thing about these are they get connected plug and play into the Cansmart and you can have them flash on brake, normal, flash 3 times and/or flash on bike deceleration. The day and night View attachment 143957 brightness is fully adjustable as well. (Have right and left amber strip LEDS for turn that are not on in the pic). My other GT and previous bikes have had the narrow LEDS but they seem to get washed outon bright sunny day compared to lights with more width.
I love this setup, how did you wire up the B6s on the side cases?? I've heard of people using AdMore side case weather proof connectors with good success.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
These are Denali B6 brake lights with one the tag and other two recessed in side cases. Nice thing about these are they get connected plug and play into the Cansmart and you can have them flash on brake, normal, flash 3 times and/or flash on bike deceleration. The day and night View attachment 143957 brightness is fully adjustable as well. (Have right and left amber strip LEDS for turn that are not on in the pic). My other GT and previous bikes have had the narrow LEDS but they seem to get washed outon bright sunny day compared to lights with more width.
Do you have a write up on how you did the install? Great looking set up!

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
If the lights you are adding are LED, I'd just hook them up and see if you have any code issues. I've done this often without issue as the controller current window is wide enough. IF you do have an issue then I'd install a small, solid state relay to isolate the additional lights. Should not cost you more than $10-15 for a solid state relay. These products costing upwards of $100 are just stealing your money.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If the lights you are adding are LED, I'd just hook them up and see if you have any code issues. I've done this often without issue as the controller current window is wide enough. IF you do have an issue then I'd install a small, solid state relay to isolate the additional lights. Should not cost you more than $10-15 for a solid state relay. These products costing upwards of $100 are just stealing your money.
"Stealing your money"?? Can't say I agree there, though value is relative to the individual.

That said, CAN controllers offer a lot of value if you want to add accessories to your K16
  1. Allow for accessories to be installed without cutting into the stock wiring harness.
  2. Allow for programability of function
    1. Brake light vs. running light vs. turn signal
      1. Or any combination
    2. Light intensity day vs. night
    3. Brake light flash vs. steady
    4. Brake light activation with deceleration vs. brake lever actuation
    5. Power down delay after bike shut off
  3. Fault tolerant power supply (no fuses or power relays required)
  4. Act as a current bus so you don't end up with 10 accessories wired to the battery
  5. Control accessory driving lights via factory handle bar controls
    1. Light intensity
    2. Light on / off
    3. Light intensity day vs. night
    4. Light flash and high beam activation with horn button
  6. Support for high output horn
  7. Oh yeah, and no CAN faults with any of these accessories
I'm probably missing a bunch of other stuff CAN controllers can do but frankly, for $100 you had me at "not cutting the stock wiring harness".

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
SpecialK, good write-up of the Cansmart/Hex capabilities. These power control modules can make life much easier when adding lights to the K.

As far as the Denali B6 brake light mounting I have no detailed writeup regarding install as its not super difficult. Just have to have the nerve to cut into the rear cases to recess the lights. Good or bad, I obviosly do and used multiple layers of epoxy to mount and seal the opening.
I typically use a fairly standard 2,3,4 etc weathertight connector as my quick disconnect on the cases. (first pic below). BUT, as I had not yet used them to make the disconnect, when at Gunnerts in prep for trip west I was strong armed into using Deutsch connectors!! lol...though i have never had an issue, on trucks or bikes with the lightweight connectors, the Deutsch are the gold standard for quick disconnects.
As I also have the front a d rear amber turn LEDs i have two disconnects for eash case and one coming from each mirror.

(colored in last pic to show size placement of the turn led)

·
Registered
23 Posts
SpecialK, good write-up of the Cansmart/Hex capabilities. These power control modules can make life much easier when adding lights to the K.

As far as the Denali B6 brake light mounting I have no detailed writeup regarding install as its not super difficult. Just have to have the nerve to cut into the rear cases to recess the lights. Good or bad, I obviosly do and used multiple layers of epoxy to mount and seal the opening.
I typically use a fairly standard 2,3,4 etc weathertight connector as my quick disconnect on the cases. (first pic below). BUT, as I had not yet used them to make the disconnect, when at Gunnerts in prep for trip west I was strong armed into using Deutsch connectors!! lol...though i have never had an issue, on trucks or bikes with the lightweight connectors, the Deutsch are the gold standard for quick disconnects.
As I also have the front a d rear amber turn LEDs i have two disconnects for eash case and one coming from each mirror.
View attachment 143975
View attachment 143976

View attachment 143978
View attachment 143979
(colored in last pic to show size placement of the turn led)
Thanks for all the details about the connectors. What brand are those amber LEDs? Do they mount with adhesive?? I've seen the flush mount B6 brake light offering from Denali and think that's a nice setup. Denali also offers that as an amber strip too right?? What made you go another route on the amber strips??

Sorry for all the questions, but you hit the nail on the head. I definitely want to know exactly what I'm doing before I start cutting holes in my boxes. At that point the "lessons" can start to get expensive if you have to learn them the hard way.

·
Mr.Fix It
6,871 Posts
To expound on @MountainGT post about connectors; the photo of Deutsch connectors shows pins that require crimping and/or soldering. I only use barrel pins which require a special tool for crimping. Photo pins are a PIA to crimp and/or solder; if you get it wrong pin will not properly insert into connector. Whenever/wherever possible I use Deutsch connectors. They are waterproof, universal, and I've never had one fail.

Duane

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've talked with some folks who have used AdMore plugs and sockets for the through-box connections on thier motorcycles. They have 2-wire, 3-wire, and 5-wire harnesses to suit your needs. I'm told the connections and bulkhead fittings are water tight and have good longevity.

I think they may even offer plug & play harnesses for Denali lighting.

I'm just venturing into the "enhanced lighting" space so appreciate any advice from those who've made the upgrades.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts