BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
yes. you cannot add additional LEDs directly to the existing BMW system. You need an EZCAN, or similar product.
@pcaddict66, You need an "Isolator" to tap into the bike's system. It will have outputs for running, brake, turn signals. This is the one I use, Isolator only. I've added the LED and controls over the years. From what I've read the HEX eZCan would be the way to go for adding lights; e.g. the eZCan would/can control all the lights I've added to rear of the bike with the same functionality.

For the license plate frame I use one from Radiantz.

Here's a couple of videos from the back of my bike.

Duane

As Several K1600 Forum Members have already mentioned to you- An external/ outside of the bikes CanBus system power source most likely will be required. One can go with Denali, Hexascan, PDM 60, Neutrino, etc. This will be the POWER Source for your additional lights. I went with the PDM-60 (Rowe Electronics PDM60 Power Distribution Module - RevZilla ). There are many alternatives (HEX ezCAN for K1600, Neutrino Power Distribution and Control? ,Denali / Hex EZ can Challenged...., Etc.) Good Luck with your project. Please consider posting when it is completed. Best,

Doc :unsure: :unsure:

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
I am a long time fan of Custom Dynamics. I have tried 4 or 5 and they seemed the brightest or at least no less than others. Also like the ability to order about any length you think you'll need.
Denali has a white version used as a running light mounted to the side or elsewhere. Have never noticed amber, as I think in general it might be considered to large for turn but if they do have I might consider placing next to the brake unit and maybe tinting it so its fairly well concealed until activated.

**** as far as Deutsch connectors..whatever Gunnert said as I have never had an issue with the cheaper connectors I use but welcomed him providing me the Cadillac of connectors for the cases!! :)

·
Mr.Fix It
6,890 Posts
@MountainGT , glad I could "replace" the cheaper connectors you had previously installed on your side cases for easy removal...

Duane

Reactions: MountainGT

·
Boom
669 Posts
I couldn't pull the trigger on the heavy duty Deutsch crimping tool earlier this year...but those were my initial top choice for electical connections.

·
Mr.Fix It
6,890 Posts
@XPLSV , Bernie, I went the cheap route years ago. Barrel crimping tool available on Amazon for $25.00. Tool works well until you get to really small wires; e.g. 22/24 awg. For small wires I crimp them on and then, using a soldering iron, carefully drop a dab of solder into the barrel. Works like a champ.

Duane

·
Super Moderator
1,130 Posts
I've been using the AdMore light bar, I got mine at the MOA in Hamburg, NY in 2016. Been absolutely trouble free and works as desired. Excellent product! They're worth a look at. Simple wiring job and no extra electronics needed.

·
KBiK
1,352 Posts
If you want to add additional brake lights and turn signals, I would recommend two options that I have installed and have been very happy with the results.

• If you have Clearwater Lights installed, add the Billie Brake Light. Controlled by the Clearwater CANOpener4, it has various flash options and a acceleration option.
  • Skene LED Brake and Turn Lights. I had these on my ST1300 and now have them on KBiK, my 2015 K1600GT, They are very bright and have a unique "conspicuous flash" that is really noticeable.I have the yellow turn signal Skene Photoblaster LEDs mounted in the panniers on KBiK
I have had riders and drivers comment to me that the rear Skene brake lights in running mode are almost a fixation when they are following me.

This picture give you a good idea of what this combination looks like at night.

and this is a video
https://www.texasmorleys.com/2010-2019/2015/2015-MC-Rides/BMW K1600 GTS/Farkling the KBiK/Clearwater Ericas/slides/2020_07_0023.mp4

Reactions: XPLSV and Gunnert

·
Super Moderator
1,130 Posts
Here's a video of the Admore lights I mentioned previously. Less then 3 minutes long, and might be worth your time to watch.

Below is from their web site.
Description

LED High-Powered Light Bar with modulating brake light, progressive, amber turn signals and new Smart Brake technology.

We’ve taken our popular light bar and made it even better! The new AdMore Light Bar with Smart Brake technology incorporates a sophisticated accelerometer sensor to detect rapid deceleration (from throttle release or downshifting) and will activate the Light Bar brake light automatically.

Enhance your safety and reduce the risk of a rear-end collision by having your AdMore Light Bar illuminate even before you apply your brakes!

The AdMore Light Bar comes pre-configured with the most popular options and settings and is ready to go out of the box. Customizing many of the functions and settings can be easily accomplished by connecting the Light Bar to any computer* using the included Micro-USB cable. The AdMore Configurator Software Suite (available for download at www.admorelighting.com) allows you to custom configure your AdMore Light Bar to have the features and settings that you want!

Reactions: amorley

·
Registered
5 Posts
Haha, we do get particular about these funny two-wheeled machines don't we?
We sure do.
I would like to be able to remove my topcase (with optional brakelight) and connect an accessory brake light to the connector for the topcase. I will be attaching the led array to the rack with velcro. I have the led array but does anyone have the pinouts for the connector on the harness. I'm not adding anything extra, just taking off one array and attaching another so it shouldn't disturb Eddie The On Board Computer.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Gigfy,
Top Case Brake Lights wiring diagram is on skenelights web site, see below. Note it depends on your model year.

For the 2017 and newer K1600-GTL models the wire colors have changed.
Bike wire color
Ground = brown, pin 1
Switched 12v = red/green stripe, pin 6
Brake = brown/violet stripe, pin 3

=======///
Ken

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Soupa Mod
2,438 Posts
When testing my first attempt, where I put both LED ribbons in the tail light circuit, I didn't run the engine and they worked fine but...…..as soon as I started the engine the CANbus said Ney Ney.
Thanks to Jim I have also put on the led strip lighting as he has. These also tripped the Canbus so I used a regular, cheap, trailer isolator to handle them. Along with a SupraTech brake modulator.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts