BMW K1600 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 153 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,629 Posts
@Boneman, you probably know this but, if the bubbles are air/water, prick the bubble with a sewing needle and then use your squeegee to smooth over.

Duane

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
UPDATE:

Attacked the right front section by the headlights yesterday. At first I was going to try and leave it in place on the bike, but needed to remove the mirror first. During the mirror removal process, I discovered that it was only a few more bolts to remove the whole panel, so I removed it all.

The one trick with pieces not mounted to anything is that you need to secure them while doing the wrapping. Work table and a clamp do just fine.

I started with the flat face area first (the easy part).

The lower curved section was a real PITA! Sure, it looks innocent enough, but I ran into trouble quick with the material wanting to bunch back up on itself. With the help of my wife and some gentle heat and pulling, I was able to work out many of the appearing creases. Took a while and luckily the black plastic piece covers up some of the wrinkles right at the edge. Not sure if I'll do the left side in one piece again or try two pieces.

·
Premium Member
5,944 Posts
I'm watching your progress and am impressed. I've been talking to my brother and am thinking about just doing the lower sections of each piece with a complimentary charcoal to go with my original silver. It should be easier to do. I haven't ordered my material yet as I'm still kicking ideas around. Keep the pictures coming.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yes Boneman keep the updates coming... This is the best post I have followed in years
BTW how much wrap did you order to do the whole bike, keep in mind I will order much more for 'wiggle room' LOL

·
Premium Member
5,944 Posts
Boneman,
So how do you use the primer pen? Do you get the wrap applied, trimmed, lift the perimeter and apply the primer then lay the wrap back down and apply pressure to the edge?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Yes Boneman keep the updates coming... This is the best post I have followed in years
BTW how much wrap did you order to do the whole bike, keep in mind I will order much more for 'wiggle room' LOL
I ordered 4 yards (meters) of material and it comes in 5' (60") width roll. I'm hoping this will be enough including wiggle room. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
Boneman,
So how do you use the primer pen? Do you get the wrap applied, trimmed, lift the perimeter and apply the primer then lay the wrap back down and apply pressure to the edge?
The "pens" are glass ampules of Primer 94 in a cardboard tube. You crush them to release the primer and it flows to the brush end. They are pretty much a one shot deal as there is not a lot of primer in them and it seems to rapidly evaporate. I originally ordered just one, but quickly realized my mistake and then ordered a set of 10. You can get Primer 94 in cans and might be a better idea. I had trouble getting the cans here in Canada. I've been using VvidShop.ca to order a lot of my supplies.

Yes I apply it to some edges when I've mostly applied the all the vinyl on a piece. So as I'm pulling the edges tight and finishing, I apply it to the edges as well as the backside as I've been leaving and applying about a 1/2" of excess material on the back side - I figure this will give more strength, support and less chance of having the vinyl want to pull away as opposed to only having just the edge supporting the vinyl. Also the edges are typically where you have more stretch and therefore more tension and willingness to want to pull away and release it's hold.

Where I can, and as it's not visible, I try to leave at least a 1/2" to an inch (or more) of vinyl on the backside of most pieces. Again, more material on the backside, the more holding power it will have an less tendency to want to release over time. It's not often pretty, but who cares as you can't see it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
UPDATE:

Finished off the left side front panel and completed to front end. Again, needed the help of the wife as I needed to heat, pull and squeegee all at the same time to get this one to work with one piece. It was tricky and thought I had stretched myself into a corner on several occasions! I might have over-stretched the lower half, but the material did not change colour so all was ok.

Next up, the gas tank halves! Stay tuned.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I'm watching your progress and am impressed. I've been talking to my brother and am thinking about just doing the lower sections of each piece with a complimentary charcoal to go with my original silver. It should be easier to do. I haven't ordered my material yet as I'm still kicking ideas around. Keep the pictures coming.
The lower sections don't look too complex to do and would be a good place to start and try it out! I say go for it.

Bike parts are smaller and often more complex than say doing a car, but I highly recommend completely removing each piece when wrapping. This allows you to wrap extra material in behind each piece to give you a better and stronger hold (you don't have to trim right at the edge). It can also be easier to work on, but recommend securing them in place (clamp or back on the bike temporarily) when initially applying the vinyl as you want to be able to pull and stretch the material a bit.

·
Premium Member
5,944 Posts
Great instructional videos that really help us understand the "magic" of applying vinyl covering. I think I'm ready to tackle the job I just have to finalize the color and style that I want to go with. Like any project the hardest part is getting started.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
UPDATE:

Completed left side fairing. Here are some shots of the backside and the tricky front edge & corner. Not always pretty and I could spend more time making it look nicer on the backside, but it never gets seen. In some places I've also used used some metal foil tape (real ducting tape) to assist with making sure the vinyl stays secure.

·
Registered
70 Posts
UPDATE:

Completed left side fairing. Here are some shots of the backside and the tricky front edge & corner. Not always pretty and I could spend more time making it look nicer on the backside, but it never gets seen. In some places I've also used used some metal foil tape (real ducting tape) to assist with making sure the vinyl stays secure.

Brilliant job and quite professional - maybe changing colour isn't so impossible after all...!:smile:

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
UPDATE:

Finished off the left side front panel and completed to front end. Again, needed the help of the wife as I needed to heat, pull and squeegee all at the same time to get this one to work with one piece. It was tricky and thought I had stretched myself into a corner on several occasions! I might have over-stretched the lower half, but the material did not change colour so all was ok.

That looks REALLY nice - great job!
:cheers:

·
Registered
206 Posts
UPDATE:

Dude! That’s really first class! Great work!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)
UPDATE:

Tackled the tank halves this weekend. Not too bad to do and you do need 2 pieces to do each half, so you will have another butt seam. I used only one piece of knifeless cutting tape, instead of two this time. I put down the cutting tape first, then did the bottom section first which was super easy. I then CAREFULLY trimmed up the vinyl to the edge of the cutting tape to get rid of the excess material. I then put down the top piece. I had the piece clamped on my work table as you do need to gently heat and pull/stretch the top piece to get it to lay properly. I then pulled the cutting tape up and out from underneath, through both piece of vinyl to give me a nice, clean seam. Make sure to also carefully remove the small trimmed piece left over from the bottom half that will now be underneath the top piece edge - remove this along with the cutting tape.

Freehand trim of the excess material off the bottom piece. This will allow the top piece to lay flat and help create a clean, seamless join.

Up close of the seam where the upper and lower pieces meet.

41 - 60 of 153 Posts