BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried to search for answers on this but can't find any clear instructions so thought I'd reach out here for help.

I am having difficulty fitting my new BMW Top case to K1600GT.

I can get it mounted etc but when turning the internal locking mechanism wheel it only turns part way and won't go back to where I believe it should be i.e the starting position .. is this normal?
If not any suggestions would be useful.

Thanks

Ian

·
Registered
255 Posts
When I first got mine it was very tight the first time, to the point that for a second I considered using a crescent wrench, lol. It took me a minute, but once it clicked that first time it got easier. Just make sure it’s seated properly

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
^^^^ same. It didn't want to mount. Thought I was doing it incorrectly. I can't remember but I think I ended up using some dry silicone spray (goes on wet but dries almost instantly) to help ease the tabs into the rack base. Aater the first time or two, easy-peasy.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
I've tried to search for answers on this but can't find any clear instructions so thought I'd reach out here for help.

I am having difficulty fitting my new BMW Top case to K1600GT.

I can get it mounted etc but when turning the internal locking mechanism wheel it only turns part way and won't go back to where I believe it should be i.e the starting position .. is this normal?
If not any suggestions would be useful.

Thanks

Ian
Funny you should say that. I was at the dealer this past weekend and the manager of BMW Motorrad was nice enough to do the install for me as no tech was available Saturday. He had real trouble with it and thought we might have to shave the plastic on the rack down a bit. This is from someone that I'm sure has installed a lot of top cases and knows what he's doing. With a LOT of elbow grease and some real grease we were able to get it on. He actually brought it out of the lot and up to the showroom so we could work on it. It took a LOT of force and perseverance to finally get it to snap in place. His fingers were understandably cramped by the time we were done and I was able to finally get it done. I pushed down hard and twisted and that did the trick. So just like the Shake 'n Bake commercials I can say I helped ;-) I'm wondering is this is an issue with the newer cases being a few mm's off? I can tell you one thing It's never coming off! This is on a 2019 K1600GT Sport.

·
Sir Robin’s Lead Minstrel
1,427 Posts
When I first got mine it was very tight the first time, to the point that for a second I considered using a crescent wrench, lol. It took me a minute, but once it clicked that first time it got easier. Just make sure it’s seated properly
I DID use a large slip-joint plier, over two layers of microfiber cloth, to install mine the first time. I had done a detailed search, and apparently, they starting making them to fit VERY tightly upon first install on purpose, after there were frequent complaints of boxes rattling on bikes. Mine is also easy-peasy now.

DO NOT resort to shaving any material off either the bike rack, or the attachment of the topcase, or a rattle once the mechanism loosens up will be the likely result.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
DO NOT resort to shaving any material off either the bike rack, or the attachment of the topcase, or a rattle once the mechanism loosens up will be the likely result.
Yeah that probably wasn't going to happen at least by him. We were close to my having to come back when a tech was in during the week. It's just strange that a few of us have had problems recently whereas I've seen a few YouTube vids and how to's where is just snaps in. Seems the tolerance is VERY tight, at least on the unit I got. I've had a BMW top case before and it was the same mechanism and a breeze to remove. They were going to put the top case of my C650GT on while I waited for delivery but could not get it to fit though they thought it should. Makes me think the issue may not be the case but rather the bike rack.

·
Registered
138 Posts
It will loosen up. Push the top box down and towards the front of the bike as you twist the lock. First few times it will be firm. The rubber conforms and mashes down eventually.

Reactions: Geoff_3
1 - 7 of 7 Posts