BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like input from anyone who has experience with the 2017+ GTL Hybrid AeroScreen. A bonus for me would be if you have the 2017+ GTL AeroWings installed also.

In doing research on Screens, the Aeroflow Hybrid caught my attention because they claim to provide optimal protection for 2-up riding while still allowing for looking over screen. My main goal to to cut down the turbulence my wife experiences. I'm OK with the stock screen, but I know she's being blasted much more than I am. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
If you decide on getting one...I have one I'd let go shipped for $195 ($315 new last I looked). Would be less painful if it doesn't hit the sweet spot. Hybrid Medium, I purchased from someone on the forum but forget who. I have a GT, but I believe these are the same...GT/GTL if memory serves. Apologies if they're different. I have a Wunderlich coming for 2-up. Side note, SD-Moto (Europe) saved me $120 or so off buying from Wunderlich America.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you decide on getting one...I have one I'd let go shipped for $195 ($315 new last I looked). Would be less painful if it doesn't hit the sweet spot. Hybrid Medium, I purchased from someone on the forum but forget who. I have a GT, but I believe these are the same...GT/GTL if memory serves. Apologies if they're different. I have a Wunderlich coming for 2-up. Side note, SD-Moto (Europe) saved me $120 or so off buying from Wunderlich America.
Going to the Aeroflow site, the Hybrid seems to be the same for the GT and the GTL.

Why did you decide on the Wunderlich? I haven’t made any decisions and I’m open to all input.

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
The wife and I ride a lot around town or trailer down to Arkansas. I'd like to help her transition to some slab riding for some extended excursions. At higher slab speeds we experienced some back pressure which seems pretty common across several screens/manufacturers. We could find the sweet spot with the aeroflow but I want to try the Wunderlich with the vent because of good reports and perhaps a broader sweet spot...if that makes sense. I don't have the aeroflow wings.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went to the Wunderlich site and checked it out. It appears to be a top quality screen. It looks like it only comes in one larger size though. In the comments on the site, I saw two reviews from shorter riders who said you should be at least 5’10” or you’ll be looking through the windshield. I’m 5’9”, so that would be a concern.

I also noticed that they’re moving away from the vented version due to too many complaints about the screen whistling at high speeds. Did you take that into consideration?

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
I'm 5-10". And like anything...guys who love them, love them. And guys who don't, post about it on forums and in reviews. 😝 😂 At 5'-9" on the GTL, the medium aeroflow might be great for you. DM me if interested in making an offer.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm 5-10". And like anything...guys who love them, love them. And guys who don't, post about it on forums and in reviews. 😝 😂 At 5'-9" on the GTL, the medium aeroflow might be great for you. DM me if interested in making an offer.
My GTL has been in the shop for a week already for diagnosing, and hopefully repairing, excessive oil consumption. Depending on the final solution (new rings, new engine, etc.) it could be a few months before I see the bike again. I’m not going to purchase anything until I get it back. Right now, it’s research time. :)

I really want to hear about how you like the Wunderlich. Like I said, I haven’t made any decisions. If you give a great review, I might consider going that way too. Looking forward to your feedback.

·
Premium Member
4,020 Posts
I think the problem is the windsheld is too far forward. Cant do anything about that except make the windscreen bigger. I would try the wings first as they sit farther back and may extend the envelope arround the passenger better..

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think the problem is the windsheld is too far forward. Cant do anything about that except make the windscreen bigger. I would try the wings first as they sit farther back and may extend the envelope arround the passenger better..
What shield are you talking about?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That clear thing that sits in the front and collects all the bugs.:) Doesn't matter what brand.
LOL! I was wondering what that obnoxious piece of plastic was for. :oops:

The Aeroflow site shows how their different screens sit either closer or further back from the driver relative to stock. It’s the screen shape that they’re manipulating.

·
Premium Member
4,020 Posts
Behind the screen you have a bubble of no air. Because the screen is so far forward the bubble collapses around the passenger area. If the screen were closer like the RT is the passenger would be positioned in the pocket better. If we put a much wider screen on it the pocket would be larger but the side wings would help extend the pocket making the pocket longer and give more bang for the buck and better gas mileage. I'm of course just guessing. I had the Cee Baley screen on both my GT's and it worked very well but I always rode solo. I now have a R1200GS and the tiny screen was fine for several hundred mile trip but terrible on long trips. I put a AeroFlow screen on that was a bit wider and got some buffing. I installed large side wings and it instently fixed everything. I feal like I'm sitting on a RT now. I wish I had bought the wings before I bought the screen. So with that little bit of knowledge if you like the screen you have but you need to extend the bubble so your passenger is comfortable try side wings first.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Behind the screen you have a bubble of no air. Because the screen is so far forward the bubble collapses around the passenger area. If the screen were closer like the RT is the passenger would be positioned in the pocket better. If we put a much wider screen on it the pocket would be larger but the side wings would help extend the pocket making the pocket longer and give more bang for the buck and better gas mileage. I'm of course just guessing. I had the Cee Baley screen on both my GT's and it worked very well but I always rode solo. I now have a R1200GS and the tiny screen was fine for several hundred mile trip but terrible on long trips. I put a AeroFlow screen on that was a bit wider and got some buffing. I installed large side wings and it instently fixed everything. I feal like I'm sitting on a RT now. I wish I had bought the wings before I bought the screen. So with that little bit of knowledge if you like the screen you have but you need to extend the bubble so your passenger is comfortable try side wings first.
When I called Aeroflow to discuss options, the lady I spoke to suggested the wings would probably make more difference for the passenger than anything else. I was wondering to myself if she was trying to talk me out of a purchase.

As far as the stock screen, maybe ignorance is bliss. I've never felt back pressure or unreasonable buffeting. It's a pretty calm bubble (for me), even at continuous 70-80 mph speeds. Yet I read here that the stock screen is one of the first things most K16 owners trash. I may just try the wings first and see how things improve. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have the Aeroflow Aerowings with the Calsci wider touring screen. Neigthher me or my passenger noticed much of a difference when I added the wings. Not sure if a smaller screen would achieve more pronounced results.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts