BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have first hand experience with either or both screens?
I've pretty much narrowed it down to those. I'm 6' 1 and my GF is 5'10.
Looking for something that'll cut down turbulence and back pressure.
I like the thought of the vent's adjustability, the smoke color and MAYBE
the shape, but I'm not convinced
of any proven effectiveness... and of course the Aeroflow is by far
the more popular. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

B

·
Premium Member
2,920 Posts
Forget the vent, it is more or less cosmetic. I had the Ergo screen Touring on my 2014 in combination with aerowings and miniwings and was very satisfied with it. I am 6.2 on a good day with a 34 inseam. I however would not buy a smoked version again as it makes it more difficult in inclement weather.
For my 2018GTL I stay with the stock shield.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Been using the Aeroflow Hybrid Tall for many years. Great windshield. Creates a wind tunnel & stops back pressure for me with the Aerowings. Fantastic for long & bad weather riding. If a more sportier windshield is desired the GT windshield is very good. Best,

Doc:tb:tb

·
Premium Member
3,723 Posts
I prefer polycarbonate shields due to their better impact resistance. (20x)
I've hit a few birds, rocks, etc and had no problems. I've seen videos of acrylic shields shattering from impacts.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Been using the Aeroflow Hybrid Tall for many years. Great windshield. Creates a wind tunnel & stops back pressure for me with the Aerowings. Fantastic for long & bad weather riding. If a more sportier windshield is desired the GT windshield is very good. Best,

Doc:tb:tb
I'm leaning towards the Hybrid. Especially with the free shipping offer and the considerably lower cost than the Wunderlich. I've also been reading about Aerowings. Are these as effective on the 18's as they are on the older style fairings?

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
I currently have a Wunderlich Ergo on my GTLE. In a few weeks I will be changing to a Aeroflow Hybrid for the winter. While they both do a very good job of controlling the air as long as you do not raise them too much.
The Wunderlich lets more air flow to your body.

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
I've been using the Wunderlich Ergo 2 on my GT this riding season and love it. I wanted a screen that provided a more protection on the expressway and cold/wet weather but did not want a barn door. I liked the "wings" being built into the shield and not needing to be velcroed on the bike like the fairing mounted wings. I loved the idea of the blacked out area of the shield covering up the gunk in hard to reach places.

The shield has worked well and looks nicely integrated onto the bike. Good wind flow in all conditions including warm weather and good protection when it is wet, cold or higher speeds.

Last year there was confusion of which model of Wunderlich shield was what in the USA and more clear in Europe so I went to Nippy Norman's site to make sure I got the version without the hole. Prices were more affordable than US prices and delivery was prompt. Wunderlich Ergo 2 screen (tint) - K1600GT/GTL.

·
Premium Member
2,920 Posts
Seems they don't make wings for the '18... possibly not needed with the new style swing out air vents...?
The 18 GTL has stock winglets, The GT I learned can be fitted with the GTL stock winglets. Hardctimes for aeroflow ahead it seems.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been using the Wunderlich Ergo 2 on my GT this riding season and love it. I wanted a screen that provided a more protection on the expressway and cold/wet weather but did not want a barn door. I liked the "wings" being built into the shield and not needing to be velcroed on the bike like the fairing mounted wings. I loved the idea of the blacked out area of the shield covering up the gunk in hard to reach places.

The shield has worked well and looks nicely integrated onto the bike. Good wind flow in all conditions including warm weather and good protection when it is wet, cold or higher speeds.

Last year there was confusion of which model of Wunderlich shield was what in the USA and more clear in Europe so I went to Nippy Norman's site to make sure I got the version without the hole. Prices were more affordable than US prices and delivery was prompt. Wunderlich Ergo 2 screen (tint) - K1600GT/GTL.
No one seems to like that vent, huh? I know a few guys with Gold Wings who swear by the vents... but I suppose that's a "hole" different ball of wax.... :wink:

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
The Goldwing and Harley type fairings and windshields are that block the air. A vent or hole helps relieve the back pressure.
The BMW windshields work by having a flow under the windshield. Unless you have your windshield at too steep an angle or it is too large a vent wont help.
The unfortunate thing is the stock GTL windshield seems to be designed more for looks then function. I find the stock GT windshield works better then the stock GTL windshield.

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
No one seems to like that vent, huh? I know a few guys with Gold Wings who swear by the vents... but I suppose that's a "hole" different ball of wax.... :wink:
I think it is just on this Wunderlich screen. The early versions of the Wunderlich had holes. Some liked it. Some did not. The next version in Europe did not have the hole and many reported it was better and I do not believe you can get a holed version in Europe any longer. In the US it appears to be an option. For a period of time we could not get the version without the hole in the US which is part of why I ordered from Nippy Normans in the UK.

California Scientific (Cal Sci), makes a K1600 shield with a hole and that has been great for a bunk of K1600 riders. Not for me but it has been a winner for others.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think it is just on this Wunderlich screen. The early versions of the Wunderlich had holes. Some liked it. Some did not. The next version in Europe did not have the hole and many reported it was better and I do not believe you can get a holed version in Europe any longer. In the US it appears to be an option. For a period of time we could not get the version without the hole in the US which is part of why I ordered from Nippy Normans in the UK.

California Scientific (Cal Sci), makes a K1600 shield with a hole and that has been great for a bunk of K1600 riders. Not for me but it has been a winner for others.
Thanks, I'll look at it... but I just pulled the trigger on an Aeroflow GT screen... fingers crossed. The OEM screen really doesn't work for me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought a large Aeroflow Hybrid screen about a year and a half ago. Over the winter, I parked my GTL outside with the cover on it and I went I took it off the cover on my first ride a few weeks back, the windscreen broke in the middle. I reached out to Aeroflow to see if they can do something for me, I even offered to ship the windscreen back to see what went wrong but all they offered was 25% discount off of their used scratch and dent offers which is the same price of a brand new CALSCI windscreen. I pointed that to them and well, that's their policy, they don't offer discounts on new screens. Rather than making a happy customer, they pissed off this customer. So if you park your GTL outside with a cover chances are that Aeroscreen will break. I had one my C-650GT for 4 years now and it works great. I think the windscreens on the GT/GTL they offer aren't made very well and they are pricey to boot.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
I bought a large Aeroflow Hybrid screen about a year and a half ago. Over the winter, I parked my GTL outside with the cover on it and I went I took it off the cover on my first ride a few weeks back, the windscreen broke in the middle. I reached out to Aeroflow to see if they can do something for me, I even offered to ship the windscreen back to see what went wrong but all they offered was 25% discount off of their used scratch and dent offers which is the same price of a brand new CALSCI windscreen. I pointed that to them and well, that's their policy, they don't offer discounts on new screens. Rather than making a happy customer, they pissed off this customer. So if you park your GTL outside with a cover chances are that Aeroscreen will break. I had one my C-650GT for 4 years now and it works great. I think the windscreens on the GT/GTL they offer aren't made very well and they are pricey to boot.
Just so you know, your post sealed it for me that I will be going with Wunderlich instead of Aeroflow. I have been debating for a while whether I should buy a polycarbonate (Lexan, Wunderlich Touring) or acrylic (Aeroflow) screen when I get the taller RDL seat.

I wanted the physical strength and protection of the polycarbonate, but I was concerned about how easily it may scratch and turn yellow over time compared to acrylic. Acrylic has the advantage of being very difficult to scratch, you can polish out scratches that appear, and it will never yellow in the sun. Unfortunately it's brittle, and impacts from road debris can shatter it. I also liked the flare at the top of of the Aeroflow that should kick the air up and over the driver and passenger.

However, the lack of customer service, combined with the unavoidable brittle nature of acrylic has, for me, ruled that and Aeroflow out as a possibility. Hopefully the Wunderlich will work to get the air flow up and over my helmet, as I'm 6'05" and will be asking RDL to add at least 2" of seat height for me, and probably 1" or more for the passenger seat.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm also in the market for a touring screen on the 2019 K1600BGA. I had a very tall screen on my 2005 LT and added one to my 2008 Goldwing. Both my wife and I prefer a calm pocket, as long as there is some way to add air on very hot days. I've been reading the forums and now considering all the below. More feedback on Cal Sci would be appreciated as it seems to be the tallest and should provide the best pocket (but maybe not). Thanks

AeroFlow
K1600B AeroScreen
https://www.shopbmwmotorcycle.com/pr...IaApoqEALw_wcB

Wunderlich
MARATHON AIRVENTED« touring windshield
https://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/bm...35380-302.html

Europeantoysstore.com
XXL Windshield BMW BAGGER | GRAND AMERICA | K1600 GT | K1600GTL | Exclusive
https://europeantoysstore.com/produc...00-gt-k1600gtl

Parabellum
Replacement Touring Windshield K1600GTL/K1600B/K1600 Grand America 2011-2019
Replacement Touring Windshield K1600GTL/K1600B/K1600 Grand America 2011-2019

California Scientific
BMW K1600GT/GTL/B Windshields - XXL Wide

·
Registered
232 Posts
The 18 GTL has stock winglets, The GT I learned can be fitted with the GTL stock winglets. Hardctimes for aeroflow ahead it seems.
I’ve added the OEM wings to my 17 GT, and the Wunderlich handguards. Not a huge difference made by the OEM wings. The biggest difference was made when adding, on top of those, the Aeroflow Aerowings.

·
Registered
232 Posts
You’re missing, from your list, what turned out to be the best, by far, windscreen for me - the 7Jurock.
Short overview:
-OEM GT, best for high speed stability, but noisy
-OEM GTL - a lot quieter than the OEM GT, but it created a lot of backpressure and it also had some high-speed problems
-Wunderlich, at least as quiet as the GTL OEM, no backpressure, high speed instability issues
-Puig - no different than the Wunderlich, potentially more stability issues
Adding a MRA x-creen, on the GT, Wunderlich, Puig, made no big difference (and sometimes even enhanced stability issues)
7jurock, B-style. At least as quiet or even quieter than the GTL and Wunderlich, with no back pressure and (almost) no high speed problems.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts