BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Properly Caring for Motorcycle Leather

The Best Leather Care for Motorcycle Leather

Opinions of a successful detailing product vendor and a leather artisan. I use Lexol Cleaner and Lexol Conditioner on my saddle and Vanson jacket.
For the black plastics , I use a aircraft grade silicone grease like Dow-Corning Compound No.4, comes in a tube and you just rub it on with a lint free cloth. Also works great on the synthetics of the seats, not slippery and it is absorbed by the synthetics rather than being rubbed off like armoral. Can be a bit of an effort to apply when it's cold but it does the trick and lasts a lot longer than any of the expensive crap from the auto stores. For our leathers I just spray them liberally with aerosol Lanoline (wool fat) lubricant and let the sun warm the leather to help it soak in quicker. Works well and keeps the leather weatherproof for months. Downside is, my neighbor's sheepdogs love me to death whenever they are around.....

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
Think of all the black plastic on a base model Jeep Wrangler. I tried all sorts of products to keep it from fading, including olive oil. I settled on the Meguiars Ultimate Black as the best option.

And olive oil was second best, IMHO.

·
Registered
43 Posts
So I have heard that this stuff (Aerospace 303) is the best of the best in temrs of black plastic and other materials protection from weathering (mainly UV), but also rain.

I applied it to all of the black plastic surfaces and it looks great, doesn't get too shiny like armerall (crap)... however, when it rained on my bike, it seems to have spotted where the rain drops landed. Is this normal?

Anyone have experience with this stuff and how best to apply and reapply it?
I’ve been using Top Coat on the whole bike. Makes the black look new and the rest of the bike absolutely glow. Great stuff!

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Here's the link to the Consumer Reports article comparing the various products.

Here's a link to AutoGeek. They sell and do reviews of a lot of products.

·
Registered
53 Posts
After trying many other products with UV protection, I've used 303 exclusively and on all of my motorized vehicles -- and boats -- for about 10 years now. Hard plastic, rubber, vinyl seats/boat interiors, etc. On average, I'd say I given each vehicle the full 303 treatment about every 4-6 months.

I can say with certainty:

1. 303 most definitely inhibits UV fading over time, and keeps things looking good (all bought new by me and maintained with 303: 15 year-old truck, 10 year old bike, 15 year old boat, 5 year old boat, 9 year old car). It is also very good at keeping rubber window and door seals pliable.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
+1 on above. I have the same experience with 303. That said it was originally designed to protect from UV fading and not really do some of the “dress up” products. Works great on boat vinyl. Not sure UV protection is quite the same challenge on motorcycles.

·
Registered
984 Posts
@RL Lemke

Each time this photo makes its way on the forums it puts me in a trance. I find myself staring at it for minutes finding peace inside that space inside that left corner. I want to be there at all times. Thank you for this photo and I hope it continues to make its rounds into random topics.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts