1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Upside Down
1,362 Posts
Nice classy levers. Thanks for sharing.

·
Mr.Fix It
7,065 Posts
Looks like a great buy. You paid for these about the same amount you'd pay in TAXES for a set of Wunderlich Vari-levers.

Duane

·
International Man of Mystery
3,279 Posts
Chinese knock offs? Are you sure they won't break under heavy use? Any DOT or manufacturer stamps on them?

Reactions: Geoff_3 and BMWGuy

·
Super Moderator
1,165 Posts
Chinese knock offs? Are you sure they won't break under heavy use? Any DOT or manufacturer stamps on them?
Have you ever seen a DOT stamp on a control lever? I haven't had my morning coffee yet, and haven't been outside to look at my OEM handle bar controls to see if it has a DOT stamp of approval. I get where you're going with this, but is it realistic? I also get that having a lever failure can be a pain in the butt at least and potentially fatal. Some type of standard would be nice, but are there any standards for this particular control surface?

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
3,279 Posts
Over here safety relevant aftermarket items like levers, footpegs, lighting etc. must pass testing. Approval markings have to be affixed to the item. Not required for the bike manufacturer of course. I wrongly assumed that there is a similar process in place. Question: if I want to sell a product like these levers in the US, what are the design and safety standards that I have to meet?

Reactions: Geoff_3 and BMWGuy

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Knock-offs would insinuate that they are a copy of something. They're not. These appear to be VERY solid and well made. I am very confident they won't break under heavy use. What exactly is "heavy use" for a simple lever? In the US there are no aftermarket certifications required for such products.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I actually need one - the ball tip broke off my stock brake one.

With coupon code aliex344 was $22.96

It is a lot better than the $110 stock ones.

·
3,279 Posts
It always amazes me how ruthless Chinese companies copy designs and even sell them like in this case with references to BMW. I think BMW sources the OEM equipment in China and their producers simple double dip and sell BMW designed products through a different channel. Or they sell off products that failed BMW QC.
Our company runs two plants in mainland China and with that I get to have some insights in Chinese business practices that never fail to amaze me. Without our rigorous QC and some European managers in key positions of theses companies we would have deal a host of issues over there.
Hope that Chinese owned Pirelli/Metzler has it under control.......

Reactions: IdahoRenegade

·
Registered
356 Posts
Over here safety relevant aftermarket items like levers, footpegs, lighting etc. must pass testing. Approval markings have to be affixed to the item. Not required for the bike manufacturer of course. I wrongly assumed that there is a similar process in place. Question: if I want to sell a product like these levers in the US, what are the design and safety standards that I have to meet?
How they often get around standards, they put "for off road use only" hehehehe

·
3,279 Posts
Loved the set I bought.. had zero issues..... if you are worried, buy 2 sets... it will still be cheaper than buying am OEM set.....
Probably you don’t need a second set after the first one failed on you.

Reactions: JohnS1955

·
Registered
246 Posts
I only bought one set....I said, if worried but a back-up..... iI did not buy but 1 set... the OEMs are the only ones that have broken....

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've bought sets for a few bikes off Amazon that are also "China, Inc". Hate to support them, but couldn't turn down the price, and quality I thought was very good-far better than the price lead me to expect.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I heard that the OEM levers are designed to break if the bike is dropped, to avoid damage to the master cylinders - anyone confirm this?

I see the ones in the OP have a pivot with would serve the same purpose, and be reset without needing replacement.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I ordered a set after seeing this post. They arrived today and I have them installed. I was impressed by the quality of these levers and they look really good! I did have to expand the hole for the spring that you transfer from the stock levers, nothing a drill can’t fix! The best part is the adjustability these offer, reach and the length of the lever.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts